Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 02:09 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,586,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's also an American arrogance --- do these celebrities really think that just because they made it big in the USA, that the entire world must bow to their celebrity? How many nations actually aired her talk show where pathetic people were coaxed into spilling out their hearts for the entertainment of her audience?

No one thinks that most white Americans can afford $38,000 trinkets. No one can be that stupid -- this is about one of the 1% being furious for not being recognized as such.
So now expecting good customer service is requesting to have people bow down to you?

I really don't think this was a "do you know who I am?" moment. It was a failure to receive good service due to the (for whatever reason) biases of a sales clerk.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:10 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,818,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What is your point, darling? Being pretty does not mean that one can afford to buy something. The sales clerk's job is to sell merchandise not to judge a beauty contest.
It is not about beauty, but how people come across.

And let's not forget that in Europe 99% of AA's who are famous in the US are unknown. We may have heard a few names like Tiger Woods or Bill Cosby, but most Europeans would not recognize them. There are maybe have a dozen black Americans European would recognize in a shop, for instance Will Smith, Tina Turner, or Michael Jackson when still alive.
Famous black Europeans are very rare, so basically any black person entering a store in Europe is assumed to be a regular person.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You'd have to see what a sales clerk thinks of the Honey-Boo-Boo family if they didn't know them to really know if race has a thing to do with it, or more importantly if the sales clerk really believes most whites can afford extremely extravagent prices. I seriously doubt that the clerk thinks all whites can afford those prices.
Oprah Winfrey and Honey Boo Boo's family is not an apples to apples comparison. Sorry.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

And let's not forget that in Europe 99% of AA's who are famous in the US are unknown. We may have heard a few names like Tiger Woods or Bill Cosby, but most Europeans would not recognize them. There are maybe have a dozen black Americans European would recognize in a shop, for instance Will Smith, Tina Turner, or Michael Jackson when still alive.
The wealthiest Black people in the world are not "celebrities" so what should it matter that the sales clerk did not recognize her as a tv personality.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:13 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,226,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
If you had actually bothered to read my post, you would've seen that I mentioned that she would have a short temper with customers who weren't intending to buy anything, hence the "Next!". That was her way of saying to the person "I'm not gonna waste my time with you". If the person's not there to buy anything anyway, what difference does it really make? Those stores are there to sell, not to let tire-kickers just hang out. As the person I replied to stated, in a high-end store you're going to end up filtering customers.
Because saying "NEXT" is hopelessly vulgar behavior. If you really do have a very wealthy, well bred customer base, then you'd find a different way to shoo someone off, like saying "will you excuse me" and then moving on to the next person.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:14 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,512,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
That is definitely true, a lot of high end clerks are snobby and arrogant. But the question that we are trying to determine is if Oprah was denied access to the purse because of her race.

If the salespeople thought they had the potential for a sale then they obviously would've let the potential customer hold the bag. Whenever somebody is considering purchasing anything of this value then it's obvious that the customer would need to check it out. Why was this nicely dressed black woman denied from even holding the bag when it was clear she was a potential customer? Why was she thought so lowly of when likely the only common denominator between her and most other shoppers there is race.
I'm not sure how that determination could be made. The only person who knows the intent of the action is the sales lady. She has said that wasn't the intent. There is the possibility she is lying. But no one can say for sure except her.

What I would be interested to know is what the procedures are for this store. Is it in an area where anyone can just walk in off the street? Is there some type of screening at the door? Can I, who have no intent or ability to purchase a purse of that cost, simply walk in and ask to hold it? Does the store have an issue with looky-lous who like to come in and touch and giggle over high-end items they have no intent of purchasing? I know quite a few people who love to window-shop and/or go through stores and try things on to see how they look, with no intent of a purchase. Heck, my husband and I enjoy going to the pet store when we're in a certain shopping center to look at the parrots. We have no parrot and no intent to buy one, but they're pretty. Now, if we wanted to handle a $40,000 parrot, should the pet store let us, knowing there is a risk of damage and knowing we may have no intent to buy it? What if 20 people do that every day?

This may very well have had an element of racism to it. Or, it may have been nothing. But I can see why a store might think a regular, nicely-dressed woman with no entourage and no security with her might not be the sort who can afford a $40K purse.

19,899 posts, read 12,191,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So now expecting good customer service is requesting to have people bow down to you?

I really don't think this was a "do you know who I am?" moment. It was a failure to receive good service due to the (for whatever reason) biases of a sales clerk.
If this happened to one of the RHOBH there would not even be a thread on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

Famous black Europeans are very rare, so basically any black person entering a store in Europe is assumed to be a regular person.
And so it all comes down to being black again. Why do you keep arguing?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpherson View Post
its all part of sales...

to say she was racist denies the concrete fact that the saleslady was thinking of exactly her, as a person with feelings and the great cost of the bag..

if she was a racist person, she would of brought down the bag with great praise, let her see and touch and enjoy and get attached to the bag

only to find out sadly and tough ...its $$$$$$$$$$$ so hand over the dough or scale down.

the sales lady was truly thinking of her and her person, this accusation is odd.

the store should of defended with vigor and said oh no...the service was very polite and genuine.

if we assess a customer is looking at something which is too expensive we do everything to help satisfy the customers needs

assessing a customers needs and capabilities is every day sales...O new she was not hugely known there. So for example if
any women now...goes into the store and asks to see that bag...in order to be in keeping with this complaint idea...the store now is defenseless in not being , 'absolutely obliged.....to show everything to everyone regardless....you can't set up shop and make money like that.
No. That's not what would happen. She point blank told her she couldn't afford the bag and refused to take it down, because she thought it was a waste of her time to show it to her, and time equals sales opportunities. She refused to show it to her because she assumed she couldn't afford it because she's black.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,854,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I would probably recognize her in public,but would turn my head before I got a closer look...imho she is the least talented person in an entire ocean filled with talentless people and in the immortal words of Roman Maronie she's a self important,bigheaded,arrogant "fargin icehole bastage"...ahh..that feels better..rant over
She is talented to some extent. She's great at the fake compassion and empathy stuff --- that's how she made it big in the first place. She would get people with screwed up lives, serious mental problems and egg them on, get them to confess the most hidious aspects of their lives, urge them to humiliate themselves completely on her stage, and some committed suicide -- didn't bother Oprah, she was getting extremely rich. She's no better than Madoff -- exploit weak people for money.

Now she's a 1%er and truly believes she is special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates