Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 07:06 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times

Advertisements

I'm of German and Norwegian (with trace elements of English and Polish) and I love my heritage and my ancestral culture. I learn as much as I can about my heritage and my people. I believe very strongly in everyone finding a connection to their past and honoring their heritage.

At the same time each nation has it's own customs and norms and I do think if you are going to move to a nation you should respect their customs and norms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 08:04 PM

312 posts, read 481,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I'm of German and Norwegian (with trace elements of English and Polish) and I love my heritage and my ancestral culture. I learn as much as I can about my heritage and my people. I believe very strongly in everyone finding a connection to their past and honoring their heritage.

At the same time each nation has it's own customs and norms and I do think if you are going to move to a nation you should respect their customs and norms.
Amen.

You're moving to SoCal? Not gonna meet many folks with like minds in regards to that these days. Maybe in North San Diego.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:12 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
If you want to become the CITIZEN of another country, then you should learn the language and customs! If your culture is that important, either stay where your culture lives, or teach the history of it to your kids....but learn to speak the language of your new home, and become "integrated" into the society in which you choose to live.
Excuse me but I thought the USA was a country where you could choose to live how ever you decide to live!!!!

All the different sides of my family came to Canada in the 1840s from Scotland. They stayed pretty much Scottish for 5 generations, up till the 1960s when they started to assimilate. The funny thing that gets me is that as far as I know, no one ever complained about these Scottish folks not assimilating into the larger Canadian melting pot. I guess us Canuks just don't care about such ignorant things.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
you can t tell a country to emulate that has different resources than the US

You're right, but i didn't say that I said people that come to America should emulate US culture and tbh if you don't make an effort I have every right to be rude.

I was just at Dunkin Donuts and to get my coffee I essentially had to say "mas leche dos azucar" I told his manager they should send him to ESOL or send him back to the DR.

How many cashiers in Mexico City speak worse Spanish than a native speaker 3 year old?

Old 03-02-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Excuse me but I thought the USA was a country where you could choose to live how ever you decide to live!!!!

All the different sides of my family came to Canada in the 1840s from Scotland. They stayed pretty much Scottish for 5 generations, up till the 1960s when they started to assimilate. The funny thing that gets me is that as far as I know, no one ever complained about these Scottish folks not assimilating into the larger Canadian melting pot. I guess us Canuks just don't care about such ignorant things.
Which is why Vancouver transformed from a quaint English inspired city into Shanghai West, eh?

The Québécois are the only ones with any sense in the whole western world when it comes to persevering their culture. I would gladly learn French and spend the rest of my life in a small city like Trois Rivieres or Ville de Quebec where there is only one culture. And great weather for a snow lover like me, vive la quebec libre

And it stands to reason that since Canads was British North America, Scottish culture is part of British culture which is the backbone of what English Canada was. There are pockets left like Corktown in TO but your national culture in English Canada is being pillaged. The difference is at least your immigrants have some skills unlike ours and there isn't such an illegal immigrant issue.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
Which is why Vancouver transformed from a quaint English inspired city into Shanghai West, eh?

The Québécois are the only ones with any sense in the whole western world when it comes to persevering their culture. I would gladly learn French and spend the rest of my life in a small city like Trois Rivieres or Ville de Quebec where there is only one culture. And great weather for a snow lover like me, vive la quebec libre

And it stands to reason that since Canads was British North America, Scottish culture is part of British culture which is the backbone of what English Canada was. There are pockets left like Corktown in TO but your national culture in English Canada is being pillaged. The difference is at least your immigrants have some skills unlike ours and there isn't such an illegal immigrant issue.
Well I for one vastly prefer the new multicultural country we now have over the staid and boring Anglo centric culture that predominated while I was growing up. Also I must add. DON'T tell a Scot or an Irishman that their culture is part of the British culture!!!!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:59 PM

102 posts, read 106,154 times
This issue about immigration is just another aspect of an even deeper issue which is the destruction of what we know as the First World - a world where working-class people have a decent income, life style, self-respect, education, and a strong voice in government. That has been under attack since the 70s that I'm aware of. In the 70s, the ruling elite started publicly talking about it in the academic and trade and business journals, and starting publishing books and having conferences on how over-paid and over-privileged working class Americans were. That's when they started planning for outsourcing manufacturing, curtailing civil liberties, and importing large numbers of Third-world immigrants who have no respect for education, or involvement with civic activities, or tradition of volunteerism, or any of the attitudes that are the inheritance of European immigrants. If you go back to the activism of the 70s, you will see the beginnings of the attitude of "Why should you be allowed to live in the US just because you happened to be lucky enough to be born there? That's the birthright of everyone in the world."

Our elected officials have been quietly, underhandedly supporting that attitude for 40 years.

I often attend public land use issue meetings in my city, and often, of the twenty or thirty people there, I'm the only one who isn't being paid to attend. We have hundreds of "activists" who are being paid part-time minimum wage to attend these meetings as representatives of Tibetans, Eritreans, Haitians, Samoans, Filipinas, etc etc etc, who are the people the government agencies call "stakeholders".

This is a deliberate attempt to destroy Americans' attachment to civic government. Specifically with Miami and Latin American and Mexico, this is a deliberate attempt to do an end-run around Congress and the American people to institute a de facto North American Union. Run "Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America" through a search engine to start to get a look at the current playbook.

Also, all these trade agreements are just more ways to destroy what we have traditionally found worth fighting for in the US. Look for Obama to push for fast track authority on several horrendous trade agreements coming up.

Immigration is just one finger in the glove that is designed to strangle us. Don't look for what will make the best results for Americans, look for what will give the globalists a desperate and weak work force that they can hammer into perpetual servitude and ignorance, which is the way the European aristocracy and Asian despots have had it for thousands of years. A few hundred years of freedom is just a bump to them. They have not been removed, just put aside for a few generations.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well I for one vastly prefer the new multicultural country we now have over the staid and boring Anglo centric culture that predominated while I was growing up. Also I must add. DON'T tell a Scot or an Irishman that their culture is part of the British culture!!!!
Well Scotland is on the island of Great Britain, and Ireland is part of the British Isles.

Why do you prefer it? What is the net benefit? Do you consider the fact that non-Brits including all the same groups we have in America like the Irish, Polish, the Italians and the Jews came to Canada multicultural? Or is it just non-whites that make it multicultural? Why?

You do realize that the least racist and most peaceful societies are the homogenous ones, right? Different groups with vastly different culture trying to share space leads to strife eventually (see Israel/Palestine, Tamils/Sinhalas in Sri Lanka, Protestant and Catholic in Northern Ireland, Christians/Shia/Sunni in Lebanon) and is that something you're okay with leaving future generations to endure?

By the way, Richmond and Surrey BC for instance are not multicultural. There is no coexistence, one replaced another.

Why is somewhere 95% Chinese more multicultural than somewhere 95% white with Irish, Italians, Portuguese, Russians all living together?

Besides things like cuisine and music which are pretty much irrelevant, what net gain does multiculturalisn have for society? Please don't say it makes people more tolerant because it is impossible to be intolerant when there is nothing to be intolerant of, in order for there to be strife in the first place there needs to be 2 groups to go into conflict. In a Canadian context, there would be no issue between French Canadians and the rest of Canada if they weren't sharing the same space to begin with. All roads point to homogeneity as the answer for the most peaceful societies. See Iceland, or Sweden in the 1960s before they started importanting half of the Asian continent.

I am not asking why immigration is needed, I'm aware of that. Immigration does not equal multiculturalism. Instead of spending the money to teach a Somali English and have to deal with the issues of cultural differences, why not just import a Brit?

Old 03-03-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Well Scotland is on the island of Great Britain, and Ireland is part of the British Isles.

Why do you prefer it? What is the net benefit? Do you consider the fact that non-Brits including all the same groups we have in America like the Irish, Polish, the Italians and the Jews came to Canada multicultural? Or is it just non-whites that make it multicultural? Why?

You do realize that the least racist and most peaceful societies are the homogenous ones, right? Different groups with vastly different culture trying to share space leads to strife eventually (see Israel/Palestine, Tamils/Sinhalas in Sri Lanka, Protestant and Catholic in Northern Ireland, Christians/Shia/Sunni in Lebanon) and is that something you're okay with leaving future generations to endure?

By the way, Richmond and Surrey BC for instance are not multicultural. There is no coexistence, one replaced another.

Why is somewhere 95% Chinese more multicultural than somewhere 95% white with Irish, Italians, Portuguese, Russians all living together?

Besides things like cuisine and music which are pretty much irrelevant, what net gain does multiculturalisn have for society? Please don't say it makes people more tolerant because it is impossible to be intolerant when there is nothing to be intolerant of, in order for there to be strife in the first place there needs to be 2 groups to go into conflict. In a Canadian context, there would be no issue between French Canadians and the rest of Canada if they weren't sharing the same space to begin with. All roads point to homogeneity as the answer for the most peaceful societies. See Iceland, or Sweden in the 1960s before they started importanting half of the Asian continent.

I am not asking why immigration is needed, I'm aware of that. Immigration does not equal multiculturalism. Instead of spending the money to teach a Somali English and have to deal with the issues of cultural differences, why not just import a Brit?
You are making quite a few wrong assumptions about multiculturalism in Canada. Firstly I do for sure consider the all of the different Europeans that make up much of Canada's population to be multicultural. I'd bet that you would never guess who the largest number of newcomers to my area are at this time. It's Serbs. I was raised in a near 100% Anglo neighbourhood in Toronto in the 50s. We underwent a real cultural shock around 1960 when foreign people that were completely different from us began to move in.
The Italians and Greeks were as different from us as the Chinese.

Your statement about homogeneous societies being the most peaceful is just flat out wrong. India is a good example. If there are no visible racial differences the people will still create discrimination in some other form like the caste system. If what you say is true then Pakistan should really be a nice peaceful place. In historical terms, places that were 100% national in character like Japan should not have had the almost constant war they did have, same thing with China and my own people the Scots fought, murdered and pillaged each other always.

It's not race that creates a stable and peaceful society in any way, shape or manner. It's shared values that accomplish that. To a large degree Canadians of whatever national origin embrace the values as expressed in the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms. It's those values the enable us to live in harmony with each other. Thinking that a common race can produce peace and harmony is just nonsense.
The real world should clearly show you that FACT. Just ask an Egyptian how well your ideas work?

You know, I find it quite interesting in debates these days, how many people express opinions that are not in any way based on facts, historical realities or even observable prevailing realities. These opinions are usually based on what the person thinks reality should be and not on what reality actually is. Any study of the realities of history will clearly show that "Tribalism" is the root of much evil. Your ideas on what an ideal society would be composed of is just tribalism on steroids.

Last edited by lucknow; 03-03-2015 at 08:44 AM..

Old 03-03-2015, 08:47 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
That's like me going to China, creating large enclaves where English is the only understood language, and living the same way as I did in America...what's the point? .
that's exactly most of American expats in China are doing. I personally know many Americans who lived in China for years but can't even order anything in a restaurant. Many of them only associate with other expats or Chinese who speak fluent English. They never for a second deem it necessary to learn the local language.

Additionally, most stick to their typical American lifestyle ... eating hamburgers and sandwiches, drink coffee every day. I don't see them eating Chinese food on a daily basis, or grocery shopping just like a Chinese person in the local markets.

When you see an American stir fry meal every day, and sun dry his/her laundry outside using those extension poles on the balcony, that's assimilation. I have met none.

Then why expect people from other countries to live like an America in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates