Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:25 PM

287 posts, read 1,028,005 times

Advertisements

Learning a new language as an adult is an incredibly difficult and it kills me every time I hear people talk about like it's nothing or that it's anyone's plan that their children experience the same thing. Living in a place where you don't speak the dominant language is embarrassing and opens you up to the most casual cruelty. I wish people who rail against parts of LA being exactly like Mexico or whatever could feel the pathetic sense of gratitude I used to feel when customer service people would go out of their way to help me when it became obvious I couldn't sensibly explain what I needed. Having a place you can go where basic understanding isn't hard work is incredibly important and hearing people talk about them like they are affronts to America seems so lacking in empathy that I can't even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedripeplum View Post
Learning a new language as an adult is an incredibly difficult and it kills me every time I hear people talk about like it's nothing or that it's anyone's plan that their children experience the same thing. Living in a place where you don't speak the dominant language is embarrassing and opens you up to the most casual cruelty. I wish people who rail against parts of LA being exactly like Mexico or whatever could feel the pathetic sense of gratitude I used to feel when customer service people would go out of their way to help me when it became obvious I couldn't sensibly explain what I needed. Having a place you can go where basic understanding isn't hard work is incredibly important and hearing people talk about them like they are affronts to America seems so lacking in empathy that I can't even.
Well the simple solution of course is to not move to a different country that doesn't speak your language. By consciously moving to another country you are making the decision to make that place your home and if you want to spare yourself the "embarrassment" either A) learn the language or B) spare yourself the "incredibly difficult" task of learning a new language and don't move. I don't feel sorry for immigrants who don't speak the language of their new country because that is a conscious decision and decisions have consequences.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:19 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I would bet that you don't have anything against the Amish. After all, they are white and European descended. They have absolutely nothing in common with 99% of Americans. They live their lives according to their values and morals, speak the language they choose, educate their children how they see fit, do not join the military or fight in wars, accept no social benefits from the government and don't vote.
And by doing all of that they contribute more to the betterment of civilization than your average western caught up the soulless cycle of consumerism. Shallow materialistic, celebrity gossip mongering SJW hashtag slacktivists who mindlessly vote (R) or (D).

Old 03-04-2015, 08:32 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
There's a very old saying that still applies today: When in Rome, do as the Romans. The implication that not doing as the Romans, when in Rome, will lead to problems.

If people don't like their native country to the extent that they want to move to a new country, then presumably a great deal of thought is put into that decision, and especially into the choice of which "new" country to move to ... and why that new country is so much more desireable.

What is baffling is the strange decision by some to, in their new country, attempt to transplant everything that was left behind in the native country ... which results in making the new country as unbearable and intolerable as the native country. Now why would anyone want to do that ... unless ... perhaps the objective to cause problems. It makes no sense to me.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:29 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
None sense you just do not associate with the romans. This melting pot theory is bunk. The rich des not want to hangout with the wino .the same by core beliefs and values.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:33 AM

312 posts, read 481,767 times
Why is Xenophobia a bad thing? I only want to associate with native English speaking American citizens who love America more than everything but their mother. I make no apology for that.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:40 AM

692 posts, read 957,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
Why is Xenophobia a bad thing? I only want to associate with native English speaking American citizens who love America more than everything but their mother. I make no apology for that.
That being the case, you should be the first person to leave considering that America has NEVER been like that. There are populations here who don't speak English as a first language who've been here longer than you (Cajuns, Tejanos, Mennonites, Amish, and obviously Native Americans) and you're Italian arse is as foreign as anyone else. Your America does not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Well the simple solution of course is to not move to a different country that doesn't speak your language. By consciously moving to another country you are making the decision to make that place your home and if you want to spare yourself the "embarrassment" either A) learn the language or B) spare yourself the "incredibly difficult" task of learning a new language and don't move. I don't feel sorry for immigrants who don't speak the language of their new country because that is a conscious decision and decisions have consequences.
I actually agree with this to some degree. I don't think its okay for people to move somewhere and not learn the language of that place, regardless of what it is.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:27 AM

287 posts, read 1,028,005 times
Quote:
If people don't like their native country to the extent that they want to move to a new country, then presumably a great deal of thought is put into that decision, and especially into the choice of which "new" country to move to ... and why that new country is so much more desireable.
Is it really your experience that ethnic enclaves are an attempt to transplant everything from the old country? They're just neighborhoods. What would transplanting everything even mean? No matter how many Middle Eastern bakeries there are in my neighborhood and how much Arabic I can hear on the street my neighborhood doesn't have the same problems as Iraq.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:29 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
There should be no public place in this country where you feel like an outcast or outside of the mainstream for being a monolingual English speaking American, which is the norm in this country.
Why should I "integrate" when English speakers made ZERO effort to adapt to the existing Native American culture/language?

Besides, what are you gonna tell the Native Americans that still preserve their culture and language?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:38 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
I'm saying that they tried to be American and you can become American, my parents didn't come in the early wave they came in the 50s (my dad) and 60s..they are thoroughly American because they tried to be.
BS,
In St. Louis there's still an area called "The Hill" that is full of Italian flags.
And don't even talk about Irish (St. Pat's) and Germans (Oktoberfest)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates