Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2017, 09:19 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
I don't think that really parallels the 2 years of clinicals during med school and the 3-7 years of residency doc's complete and whatever amount of time they have in practice. Nor doesn't it parallel the 5-10-20-30-40-50 years of research experience for a scientist. You cannot learn experience in a book.
Yep, I think we are seeing the Dunning - Kruger effect in action.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:31 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Short answer to the OP's question is because it's too difficult. Human biochemistry is subtle and it's nearly impossible to find a chemical that will only target a specific negative thing in every person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Some of the stupidest people have the most degrees. And some of the smartest people never went to college. And if you are a critical thinker and read and question, you understand the difference. Most people today, unfortunately just do as they are told. They ask NOTHING. A doctor could write them 4 prescriptions and they will go and get them filled, never asking what or why. Good little robots. Pop those pills doc said so.
I hear this all the time, usually from people without degrees. They'll sometimes spout some crazy nonsense about physics and have absolutely no real evidence to back it up. And they're usually just absolutely convinced that math isn't all that important to science. Math is just details to them, as are things like self-consistency, experimental evidence, and the scientific method. It's all common sense, and anyone who thinks differently from their particular brand common sense is an overeducated fool.

Sure, a few really smart people slip through the cracks, but there is a really strong correlation between intelligence and education. Pretty much every Nobel and Fields winner went to college. And sure, you may say, they're all part of this great big science conspiracy that keeps the true geniuses down. If you believe that, there isn't much I can say to convince you otherwise as it's basically an us vs them sort of thing. I'm just glad we make the airplanes.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:31 AM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I just remembered this, I listen to a call in medical program on Saturdays and today and doc was talking about how MD's get paid by the drugs they write. You just can't go to a doc and talk about your health etc. They have to "write" something. When I see my integrative MD which is once a year, twice maybe, I walk out OFTEN with no scripts and what she does write are for thyroid and BP, so she's making nothing on those little older meds I take.

That is just not true.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-06-2017, 10:43 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That is just not true.
Well, that's what this particular MD said. I heard him and good hearing I have.

Good that you know the truths.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:04 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,100 times
Quote:
Well, that's what this particular MD said. I heard him and good hearing I have.

Good that you know the truths.
Likewise. Good hearing I have as well and there's so many things I have heard in my life that are not the truth. I'm sure it's similar for you, isn't it?

The only time, an MD directly benefits from writing a prescription is if it's an i.v. compound or an injection that is administered in their office/practice.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Likewise. Good hearing I have as well and there's so many things I have heard in my life that are not the truth. I'm sure it's similar for you, isn't it?

The only time, an MD directly benefits from writing a prescription is if it's an i.v. compound or an injection that is administered in their office/practice.
And how do you know it's with IV drug only. Are you and MD around here too? Why would this conventional MD make this statement on the radio for 1000's or more to hear?

What's this all about?

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-...promote-2015-1

Old 08-06-2017, 07:02 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
For gosh sakes, I go to my docs all the time without a script being written.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-06-2017, 07:52 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
And how do you know it's with IV drug only. Are you and MD around here too? Why would this conventional MD make this statement on the radio for 1000's or more to hear?

What's this all about?

What Drugs Are Doctors Paid The Most To Promote - Business Insider

Did you even read the ProPublica site?

The doctors who are getting paid millions of dollars either invented a device or developed a new drug.

The average practicing doctor may have a drug rep bring donuts or pizza or sandwiches every once in a while. A few earn money by doing speaking engagements.

This is the highest paid doctor, who is not being paid for writing scripts but for inventing orthopedic medical equipment:

https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

Roger Jackson

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasci...thopedics.html

If a doctor does not dispense the drug in the office he does not get paid a penny for it. When they do administer drugs in the office, insurance reimbursement often barely covers the cost. I know this is true for cancer chemotherapy and vaccines.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
For gosh sakes, I go to my docs all the time without a script being written.
Well, some of us don't go to doctors all the time. If so healthy why go all the time?

I see my integrative MD usually once/twice a year to check in, get some labs and renewals on my few meds.

The other "workers" I see are to WORK to keep me out of the operating room for knee surgery. Time will tell if I can accomplish that endeavor.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:20 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Short answer to the OP's question is because it's too difficult. Human biochemistry is subtle and it's nearly impossible to find a chemical that will only target a specific negative thing in every person.

I hear this all the time, usually from people without degrees. They'll sometimes spout some crazy nonsense about physics and have absolutely no real evidence to back it up. And they're usually just absolutely convinced that math isn't all that important to science. Math is just details to them, as are things like self-consistency, experimental evidence, and the scientific method. It's all common sense, and anyone who thinks differently from their particular brand common sense is an overeducated fool.

Sure, a few really smart people slip through the cracks, but there is a really strong correlation between intelligence and education. Pretty much every Nobel and Fields winner went to college. And sure, you may say, they're all part of this great big science conspiracy that keeps the true geniuses down. If you believe that, there isn't much I can say to convince you otherwise as it's basically an us vs them sort of thing. I'm just glad we make the airplanes.

Earning a degree means memorizing and spouting back what you are told. Spout it back enough over the years, and you are rewarded with a piece a paper.

That's what I mean by stupid. Frankly, anyone can get a degree. All it takes is time and money and memorization. It does NOT make you smart and it does not make you a critical thinker. Can people with degrees be critical thinkers? Of course. But most are parrots because that is how they have been trained. They are not thinkers.

BTW, my calculus professor in college made us write out definitions. If you did not write it out exactly as he provided it in class, it was marked wrong. Only made that mistake once, on my first test, silly me, I wrote it in my own words. For all the following tests, I just memorized like a good little parrot, and ended up with an A for the class. He didn't teach me a thing, but how to memorize. So much for math.

And of course the prizes go to those who perpetrate the status quo. Anyone who is a critical thinker can see the reasoning for that. It's not an us versus them situation to see reality for what reality is. All of our major scientific breakthroughs throughout history have been by those outside the system, who were ridiculed, persecuted and not taken seriously. What does that say about the fact that those people are still ignored, ridiculed and persecuted? Have we learned nothing? I can answer that question ....

Last edited by newtovenice; 08-07-2017 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.