Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 09:47 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Earning a degree means memorizing and spouting back what you are told. Spout it back enough over the years, and you are rewarded with a piece a paper.

That's what I mean by stupid. Frankly, anyone can get a degree. All it takes is time and money and memorization. It does NOT make you smart and it does not make you a critical thinker. Can people with degrees be critical thinkers? Of course. But most are parrots because that is how they have been trained. They are not thinkers.

BTW, my calculus professor in college made us write out definitions. If you did not write it out exactly as he provided it in class, it was marked wrong. Only made that mistake once, on my first test, silly me, I wrote it in my own words. For all the following tests, I just memorized like a good little parrot, and ended up with an A for the class. He didn't teach me a thing, but how to memorize. So much for math.

And of course the prizes go to those who perpetrate the status quo. Anyone who is a critical thinker can see the reasoning for that. It's not an us versus them situation to see reality for what reality is. All of our major scientific breakthroughs throughout history have been by those outside the system, who were ridiculed, persecuted and not taken seriously. What does that say about the fact that those people are still ignored, ridiculed and persecuted? Have we learned nothing? I can answer that question ....
Earning a degree means that you have obtained a body of knowledge that learned people in that field feel represents what needs to be known in order to be certified as that degree indicates.

As opposed to people who have not obtained a body of knowledge.

Sounds good to me. Perhaps you'd like to have kidney, gall bladder, or thyroid surgery by someone who does not have a medical degree. I'd prefer a degree.

And in the 20th century and today, what percentage of great scientific breakthroughs have been made by people without college degrees?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:19 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Earning a degree means that you have obtained a body of knowledge that learned people in that field feel represents what needs to be known in order to be certified as that degree indicates.

As opposed to people who have not obtained a body of knowledge.

Sounds good to me. Perhaps you'd like to have kidney, gall bladder, or thyroid surgery by someone who does not have a medical degree. I'd prefer a degree.

And in the 20th century and today, what percentage of great scientific breakthroughs have been made by people without college degrees?
Earning a degree means a person has regurgitated sufficiently what they were told to memorize. Or do you believe every person who has degree is a genius? A degree does not make a person smart.

I absolutely believe that given time and opportunity, most people could do the coursework to become doctors. It's memorization, that's all. it doesn't make a person intelligent. There is a difference between a regurgutator and someone who can THINK, and I'm not entirely sure you understand that distinction.

What about all the breakthroughs prior to the 20th century that were ridiculed because they did not represent the status quo (college degree)? Should we ignore them? Dismiss them? Retract them as those scientists never went to college, so we shouldn't pay attention to them?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:50 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, some of us don't go to doctors all the time. If so healthy why go all the time?

I'm not so healthy on my own, I wrote all the things that are wrong with me. I'm just symptom free when I take Rx - maintaining that health requires me to visit the doctor every quarter.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-07-2017, 11:11 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Earning a degree means a person has regurgitated sufficiently what they were told to memorize. Or do you believe every person who has degree is a genius? A degree does not make a person smart.

I absolutely believe that given time and opportunity, most people could do the coursework to become doctors. It's memorization, that's all. it doesn't make a person intelligent. There is a difference between a regurgutator and someone who can THINK, and I'm not entirely sure you understand that distinction.

What about all the breakthroughs prior to the 20th century that were ridiculed because they did not represent the status quo (college degree)? Should we ignore them? Dismiss them? Retract them as those scientists never went to college, so we shouldn't pay attention to them?
You must have gone to a really bad college if all it required was regurgitation. Most of my science and math classes had open note, open book tests, often without time limits.

I'll agree with you that going to college doesn't make someone smart, but they're pretty well correlated. Smart people generally find a way to go to college. The smarter you are, the easier it becomes, rich or not. This has become even more true as college attendance rates have gone up. And, at least in my experience, I did actually learn a lot in college. Probably it didn't make me smarter, but it made be better at thinking.

Finally, I'm curious as to what 20th century scientific breakthroughs you think were achieved by people who didn't go to college and were working "outside they system". I couldn't find any on this list.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:25 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Although I'm sure Professor Masquelier attended advanced schooling in his day, I who did not but lived with an open mind to this type medicine, have benefited enormously from this Prof's works.

professor Jack Masquelier - Masqueliers.eu

On a personal note, I was married to a mensa genius and when it came to common sense, there was a very big void.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-07-2017 at 11:35 AM..

Old 08-07-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Earning a degree is not about being a genius. Less than 1% of the population are geniuses. If that was the standard for earning a college degree, there wouldn't be enough doctors, physicists, geologists, etc.

Given the time most people could become doctors? "An American physician spends an average of 14 years training for the job: four years of college, four years of medical school, and residencies and fellowships that last between three and eight years."

I don't think you understand what a real university education is. Just memorization? I remember when I took my first few college geology courses and what a swelled head I had about my level of knowledge. But as I earned my 2 degrees in geology I looked back and laughed about all I didn't know when I first got started in college course work.

A good university education is as much about learning how to learn as it is about learning information. It's about realizing that do-it-yourself learning is insufficient; that one needs guidance to be able to even pick and choose which sources to read and study.

No, no one who has something valid to contribute should be ignored. But as usual, you fail to respond to the question I posed earlier. What are these great scientific advances -- in the second half of the 20th century and today -- that were contributed by people without a college degree? Sure, you may come up with one or two, but the preponderance of scientific advancements in the modern world have come from the college educated.

I don't have confidence in amateur doctors, amateur lawyers, or amateur presidents.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:25 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Difference of opinion, which apparently includes doctors as well. Maybe it isn't one size fits all and "by the book". Whose book?

We moved to another state and my husband went to a new Cardiologist. He asked me to go with him. Complete opposite to his former. Far younger and seems of Indian heritage. He just about disagreed with everything the former doctor told him to do.

Don't take those BP Med cut into quarters as the other doctor told him to. Monitor your BP at home. Only take those quarter pill if it gets too high. He has been having BP of 90 over 60 taking those meds. When my husband told him that his BP was 130 over 80 without taking the meds and too high, that doctor said that is within the range of normal. Who told you that was too high? Over that take a pill. His former Cardiologist gave him half a dozen bottles of pills from his Sample Closet, although one poster doesn't believe it. Not pushing meds? As my husband said even at a quarter pill every day, let alone only when needed, he has enough to last his lifetime. Sell them??????

Even the method of putting in my husband's stents, he said was the old fashioned and easier way. We don't do it that way here. "Your former Cardiologist sounds very Old School", is what he said.

What a difference in doctors.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Difference of opinion, which apparently includes doctors as well. Maybe it isn't one size fits all and "by the book". Whose book?

We moved to another state and my husband went to a new Cardiologist. He asked me to go with him. Complete opposite to his former. Far younger and seems of Indian heritage. He just about disagreed with everything the former doctor told him to do.

Don't take those BP Med cut into quarters as the other doctor told him to. Monitor your BP at home. Only take those quarter pill if it gets too high. He has been having BP of 90 over 60 taking those meds. When my husband told him that his BP was 130 over 80 without taking the meds and too high, that doctor said that is within the range of normal. Who told you that was too high? Over that take a pill. His former Cardiologist gave him half a dozen bottles of pills from his Sample Closet, although one poster doesn't believe it. Not pushing meds? As my husband said even at a quarter pill every day, let alone only when needed, he has enough to last his lifetime. Sell them??????

Even the method of putting in my husband's stents, he said was the old fashioned and easier way. We don't do it that way here. "Your former Cardiologist sounds very Old School", is what he said.

What a difference in doctors.
I've kind of gone through similar situations with my cardiologists and doctors. I pointed out to one general practitioner that even within the same practice I would get different answers from 2 doctors. And she said that I should understand that there is not only one way to treat many illnesses/conditions. Different doctors take different approaches. But, it can be confusing, and that's why it's good for a patient to advocate for themselves, ask hard questions, and sometimes even change doctors.

Of course, that same doctor also admitted, "I know that when you go home, you will take the medicine in the way you think works best for you." How right she was.

Last edited by phetaroi; 08-07-2017 at 12:39 PM..

Old 08-07-2017, 12:32 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Of course doctors are different, they are people.

I learned long ago that if I don't feel the doctor is competent, to change doctors.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-07-2017, 12:48 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Some of the older docs know so much from their long history of doctoring. The doc who finally got me on thyroid support (desiccated) did no labs but he knew and called into pharmacy for a dose to start with and go from there. I went 10 miserable years with the younger generation of docs in their 50-60's, my ole doc was in his 80's.

I'd bet plenty of money the new young generation have been brainwashed by synthroid too. Syn supported their medical schools in ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates