Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2018, 07:52 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybe View Post
Good for you. But what about all the U.S. citizens whose needs are not being met enough? Maybe you can imagine why they might not be so welcoming to people who break the law to come here and break the law by staying here, working illegally, etc.
So you're suggesting that if it weren't for illegal immigrants, all Americans would have sufficient health care, employment, unemployment benefits, etc.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 07:56 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That is all pretty much immaterial. The actual problem is the 11 million here already not a few thousand a month who may slip over the boarder.

Be much easier to contain the new arrivals if not embedded in 11 million already here.
Bringing in military age males is hardly "immaterial." And that "11 million" number has been out there for 20 years. Do you REALLY trust that that number has remained static?

The REAL problem is that the power structure, the swamp, WANTS illegals flooding in. Nobody seems to have any sort of real grasp of the eventual negative effect on the USA and Western Civilization.

The enablers of both parties are getting fat and rich NOW. They don't care about our nation and they don't care about their kids or grandkids. Get rich get rich get rich. That's all.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:09 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
This is a no-brainer question. But lets get down to brass tacks. If the nut jobs want open borders for America, we need to vote on it. Not sneak around the law to decide to do it without the consent of the governed. This is a republic. Not mob rule.

But if we have open borders, I want the same privileges anywhere I go too.
This is certainly a fair and equitable reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Bringing in military age males is hardly "immaterial." And that "11 million" number has been out there for 20 years. Do you REALLY trust that that number has remained static?

The REAL problem is that the power structure, the swamp, WANTS illegals flooding in. Nobody seems to have any sort of real grasp of the eventual negative effect on the USA and Western Civilization.

The enablers of both parties are getting fat and rich NOW. They don't care about our nation and they don't care about their kids or grandkids. Get rich get rich get rich. That's all.
It just seems that they don't care but not to worry their kids and or grand kids will undoubtedly grow up to be the image of their parents...fat and rich.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
If they came here without papers and permission they are not immigrants
It’s colonization or invasion
We europeans were not immigrants the Indians did not invite us to come here
The citizens come first
We run the risk of making the same mistake as native Americans
Resistance is not futile

Old 06-24-2018, 08:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you're suggesting that if it weren't for illegal immigrants, all Americans would have sufficient health care, employment, unemployment benefits, etc.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
No, not that if it weren't for illegal immigrants, all Americans would have sufficient health care, the point is immigrants illegal or legal undoubtedly receive benefits (by whatever means are available to them) when they enter this country. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have worked many years on the front lines of this issue in the Agricultural industry so I know exactly what I speak of.

But it's enlightening to me that you can LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL about it and that speaks volumes about who you are as a human being.

Personally, I don't think it's that funny myself.

Healthcare Crisis…The Uninsured

About 44 million people in this country have no health insurance, and another 38 million have inadequate health insurance. This means that nearly one-third of Americans face each day without the security of knowing that, if and when they need it, medical care is available to them and their families.

Having no health insurance also often means that people will postpone necessary care and forego preventive care - such as childhood immunizations and routine check-ups-completely. Because the uninsured usually have no regular doctor and limited access to prescription medications, they are more likely to be hospitalized for health conditions that could have been avoided.

PBS- Healthcare Crisis: The Uninsured

Old 06-24-2018, 08:35 PM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Default Balance and Freedom From Emotion Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Seems like the core divided issue on the immigration debate is which matters more: the needs of the people wanting to immigrate or the needs of people already living in the host nation. Which matters more? Should both be considered equally? Should only one need be the deciding factor?
This is an adaptation of a letter I wrote to my clergy, in response to the synagogue's missive about being compassionate to immigrants:

As you should know, I did not support Donald Trump. I am a lifelong liberal Democrat My vote for Hillary caused some hard feelings with some people to whom I feel close. Opinions on discrete matters and issues need to be based on facts, not emotions. The fact is that the separation of parents and children started in 2014. I doubt it was Obama's decision personally. I do not feel this lies at Trump's doorstep.

I do not feel that enforcement of U.S. law equals "nativist sentiment." As much as the caring side of me would like to solve the world's problems, the fact is that most countries in this world are anarchic, kleptocratic and violent. Though I am not an adherent of Thomas Hobbes, regretfully he was right when he wrote that "No arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear, and danger of violent death: and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short." The United States has created something better. If we encourage the chaotic onslaught of the billions of people that have not organized a civil society in this manner, the world will have no "shining lights" to which to look. Israel, the United States, Canada, Great Britain, Australia, and to a lesser extent the Scandinavian countries, the countries of the European continent, and Costa Rica are parts of this very limited constellation. When the West abandoned the respective colonial empires there was hope that each of these societies would find, in their own way, the path to civil society. For far, it has not proven to be the case.

People have cited the Bible on behalf of “humane†treatment of immigrants. See Exodus 22:21, Leviticus 19:33-34 and 24:22, Deuteronomy 27:19. This does not mean to fling open the gates. The Old Testament and Western democracy are not suicide pacts. I have not studied enough text to know what the passages mean.

Our duties to the immigrants are balanced by our responsibility to our own country. The people who "need to live safely and securely" to quote a recent clerical missive, include us. Bringing an unlimited number of people who have never lived in a society that exists as a free society largely because of self-discipline is not congruent with safety and security. What we are doing is dumping people more or less at random on communities not equipped to cope with them. The call for compassion does not come with any program for education of these people, either in English or in the ways of civil society. Bringing people in so that they can experience the glories of incarceration or at best severe disorientation is cruel. What is needed is to condition aid to these countries on allowing the donors to administer the aid.

In short, all issues of contemporary concern need to be discussed in a calm, cool and collected manner. Not one stoked by emotion.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:39 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
No, not that if it weren't for illegal immigrants, all Americans would have sufficient health care, the point is immigrants illegal or legal undoubtedly receive benefits (by whatever means are available to them) when they enter this country. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have worked many years on the front lines of this issue in the Agricultural industry so I know exactly what I speak of.

But it's enlightening to me that you can LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL about it and that speaks volumes about who you are as a human being.

Personally, I don't think it's that funny myself.

Healthcare Crisis…The Uninsured

About 44 million people in this country have no health insurance, and another 38 million have inadequate health insurance. This means that nearly one-third of Americans face each day without the security of knowing that, if and when they need it, medical care is available to them and their families.

Having no health insurance also often means that people will postpone necessary care and forego preventive care - such as childhood immunizations and routine check-ups-completely. Because the uninsured usually have no regular doctor and limited access to prescription medications, they are more likely to be hospitalized for health conditions that could have been avoided.

PBS- Healthcare Crisis: The Uninsured
No. Don't rewrite what I posted. What I responded to was another poster's statement that, "...But what about all the U.S. citizens whose needs are not being met enough? Maybe you can imagine why they might not be so welcoming to people who break the law to come here and break the law by staying here, working illegally, etc."

The crisis in health care coverage has virtually nothing to do with illegal immigration*. It is a separate problem. And if there were not one single illegal immigrant in this country, none of the people without health care coverage now would suddenly have health care coverage (or more health care coverage).

This is too much like back in the Vietnam War era when some people said, "Well, if we got out of Vietnam we could transfer all the money we're spending there to _________________". Well, we got out of Vietnam, but the transfer of money to solve domestic problems never really happened.

* Sometimes, in some places, some emergency rooms may be overloaded with illegal immigrants, although I've seen no hint of that the three times I've been in the emergency room. In fact, I have known of illegal immigrants who refuse to go to the emergency room even when they should because they are afraid they will be caught.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:31 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I live in a very rural state in the middle of the country. No, there AREN'T other options than drunk white guys. There is a shortage of people willing to work in my area. Even the teens and college kids don't want to do the kind of basic work I did as a kid. There is no one else to hire except useless dumb drunk white guys. Yes, the businesses that are here really can't find enough workers. The guy who used to do my lawn went out of business because he can't find anyone reliable to work for him. A business in town that made pre-fab housing went out of business here and moved to another state because they couldn't find enough reliable and sober workers. All the manufacturers in my region are DESPERATE for welders and line workers. There are signs up everywhere, and ads in the paper all the time.

Also, I recently went to a lecture about the economy of my state. It's simply a fact that there aren't enough skilled workers for available jobs here.

Bring on the illegals, I WANT guest workers to come here and stay! As long as they stay away from the booze and drugs. That is what is really killing rural America, not immigrants, but drugs.

You still don't get it. If wages increased, people would fill the jobs. Illegal labor is not needed.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:51 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post

The number has fluctuated a good bit but has been pretty well stable since 2007 or so.. And that is while a million Mexicans went home. It has also reached the point where 75% of the illegal aliens have resided in the states for more than a decade.

Only one espousing open borders are a few limit libertarians. Left support of such is simply right wing myth.

The real problem is that we cannot gain control of our immigration system with the huge number of illegal residents and the only workable solution is legalization of most. And by refusing to do that we let the risk of large growth in the illegal contingent occurring.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:00 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The population of this country has more than doubled in my lifetime. We don't need to become like the overpopulated hell-holes of the third world. It is time to shut the door.
WOW. Your families didn't just materialize here, unless they are Native Americans, and there aren't many of those left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates