Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 09:51 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
They mostly remain quiet about a lot of things, Berkeley as an example...
Jim, did you ever think of just responding about what is in a post, instead of trying to change the target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 09:52 PM

469 posts, read 549,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I live in a very rural state in the middle of the country. No, there AREN'T other options than drunk white guys. There is a shortage of people willing to work in my area. Even the teens and college kids don't want to do the kind of basic work I did as a kid. There is no one else to hire except useless dumb drunk white guys. Yes, the businesses that are here really can't find enough workers. The guy who used to do my lawn went out of business because he can't find anyone reliable to work for him. A business in town that made pre-fab housing went out of business here and moved to another state because they couldn't find enough reliable and sober workers. All the manufacturers in my region are DESPERATE for welders and line workers. There are signs up everywhere, and ads in the paper all the time.

Also, I recently went to a lecture about the economy of my state. It's simply a fact that there aren't enough skilled workers for available jobs here.

Bring on the illegals, I WANT guest workers to come here and stay! As long as they stay away from the booze and drugs. That is what is really killing rural America, not immigrants, but drugs.
PROBLEM is there are already 10+ million ILLEGAL immigrants in the United States as of right now. So its not like their is a shortage of the demographic you are looking for. If people LACK skills its the Government job to INVEST in the population so those skills can be learned not CHEAT and import people, especially illegally

Old 06-26-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Perhaps you’re not paying close enough attention. https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...omments-241593

What does Charlottesville have to do with Republicans at all? It wasn’t a political rally. Why is the Party of Lincoln supposed to apologize for white supremacist?
I wasn't even talking about Trump. I was talking about the people who were involved in Charlottesville.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Exactly! If it was REALLY one party and not the other then it'd be fixed by now, just like right this minute. I'm not buying it's only the Democrats as the Republicans control both houses, just like back when Democrats were in the same position and did NOTHING...
That's fair.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
To parents who were legal citizens
And that's my point. It wasn't because you had earned anything.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:37 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Seems like the core divided issue on the immigration debate is which matters more: the needs of the people wanting to immigrate or the needs of people already living in the host nation. Which matters more? Should both be considered equally? Should only one need be the deciding factor?
Any issue is divisive if posed as an either or. Compromise isn't possible? There has always been unskilled work that new immigrants can do as they are learning the language, etc. Those should ideally not be permanent jobs for anyone but can serve a purpose if there is a way to move beyond them so there is not a permanent underclass. They should not be exploited but should be given an opportunity.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:13 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Very interesting and thought-provoking discussion going on in this thread.

I certainly do not deny the fact that Europeans were guilty of invading with the intent of conquest and the means to do so what is now the United States, starting about 500 years ago on the West Coast and about 400 years ago on the East Coast -- and they were MUCH more murderous about achieving that conquest than probably at least 99.99% of our present-day immigrants. (I think that a very few of them are terrorists who would like nothing better than to kill thousands of Americans, but I think that the overwhelming majority of them just want a better life for themselves --just as I think that most European immigrants didn't want to kill off all the "Indians" and just wanted a better life for themselves.) And, yes, the English and Spanish did impose their culture on those who were here first, and the natives resisted as much as they could, just as some of us present day "natives" do.

Unless I am mistaken, the only major difference between the old immigrants and the new immigrants is that the European immigrants of 400 years ago did not expect the natives to provide free food, free medical care, and free education for their children at no cost to themselves, even though many natives voluntarily helped the immigrants to survive.

Last edited by katharsis; 06-27-2018 at 07:26 AM..

Old 06-27-2018, 08:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Any issue is divisive if posed as an either or. Compromise isn't possible? There has always been unskilled work that new immigrants can do as they are learning the language, etc. Those should ideally not be permanent jobs for anyone but can serve a purpose if there is a way to move beyond them so there is not a permanent underclass. They should not be exploited but should be given an opportunity.
AFTER the citizens not in spite of...<bold>

Old 06-27-2018, 08:50 AM

765 posts, read 473,178 times
i remember right at the outset when he who shall not be named PROMISED the immigration problems would be handled with LOVE.... exact quote.

This latest ploy to completely do away with any grace or compassion for refugees? it's just reprehensible.

i am tired of trying to keep giving this fool a chance. If only to keep the peace with my many republican friends, who accused me of bias because I am an ex-New Yorker..... so I know how hard i did try to be patient..... but he has been bungling just about everything he has set his itty bitty hands to: health care, immigration, the economy is now starting to tank with his trade wars, he has bragged how he didn't fear the NRA and then he caved in to them, eradicating his promises to the kids he promised he would keep safe. Nothing ever changes, the threats to anyone who isn't on board with his ideas, the name constant name calling. It is simply disgusting behavior. that's all. just disgusting..... and the hundreds and hundreds of falsified statements he and only he seems to believe in while he repeats all these made up facts so that he distorts the truth CONSTANTLY...and then has the nerve to blame the media as the liars and the perpetrators of fake news???? SO BLATANTLY SELF SERVING !!!!! and a tried and true brain washing technique, repeat the lie enough and often and the uninformed who take everything he says as sacred truth keep lining up in lock step with this biggest perpetrator of lies, misinformation yes, heartbreaking cruelty, nastiness and immorality.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:36 AM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Seems like the core divided issue on the immigration debate is which matters more: the needs of the people wanting to immigrate or the needs of people already living in the host nation. Which matters more? Should both be considered equally? Should only one need be the deciding factor?

The needs of our own citizens should be the first consideration and only if we need immigrants should they be allowed to come here and they need to be self-sustaining not a burden to our society. We should also keep population growth, the availability of jobs and natural and social resources in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates