Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 09:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I would also point out that the illegal alien problem is simply not solvable. And the problem is actually simple. We have allowed too many illegals in to ever get them out. And at this point something like 75% of the illegal aliens have been here more than a decade.

The answer of course is to drop the pretense that we are going to deport them and legalize most until the remaining illegals are down to a number we can deal with. Likely well under a million. Then throw the remainder out of the country. Success is there is no illegal alien in the country for more than 6 months.

The US immigrant population is large for recent decades but about the same percentage as 1930 and well less than the percentage in the 10s and 20s.
There is absolutely a part of the ILLEGAL issue that is solvable and that's stopping 'em from getting in to begin with and immediately tossing back those caught. The other part of the puzzle is a simple law change making EVerify use the law with severe penalties for ignoring it.
See how easy that was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
From the beginning of his rants, I just said that the president should start with one small slice of the pie -- deporting gang members who are here illegally. Just start with that one little part...the most serious part.

Then if that is successful, move on to the next most serious part of the equation. And so on.

But no. They start with children.
Have you been living under a rock? They have been trying to deport CRIMINAL illegals despite all the left's crying, bleating and blathering about how raaaaaaacist deporting any people is.
All that's happened is every liberal state,county and city has done everything in their power to be sure nobody is deported no matter what or how many crimes they've committed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 09:05 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
As a US citizen, my needs are met enough to the point where I can treat every human being with dignity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybe View Post
Good for you. But what about all the U.S. citizens whose needs are not being met enough? Maybe you can imagine why they might not be so welcoming to people who break the law to come here and break the law by staying here, working illegally, etc., and get benefits that we Americans cannot get!
Quote:
So you're suggesting that if it weren't for illegal immigrants, all Americans would have sufficient health care, employment, unemployment benefits, etc.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
No, not that if it weren't for illegal immigrants, all Americans would have sufficient health care, the point is immigrants illegal or legal undoubtedly receive benefits (by whatever means are available to them) when they enter this country. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have worked many years on the front lines of this issue in the Agricultural industry so I know exactly what I speak of.

But it's enlightening to me that you can LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL about it and that speaks volumes about who you are as a human being.

Personally, I don't think it's that funny myself.
Quote:
No. Don't rewrite what I posted. What I responded to was another poster's statement that, "...But what about all the U.S. citizens whose needs are not being met enough? Maybe you can imagine why they might not be so welcoming to people who break the law to come here and break the law by staying here, working illegally, etc."

[/b]I certainly DID NOT rewrite what you wrote and I DO know exactly which posts resulted in your commentary.

The crisis in health care coverage has virtually nothing to do with illegal immigration*. It is a separate problem. And if there were not one single illegal immigrant in this country, none of the people without health care coverage now would suddenly have health care coverage (or more health care coverage). [b]

You're still missing THE POINT, I believe that one poster basically stated as long as their needs were being met enough they could then treat every human being with dignity. And yet...what about the people whose needs are not being met, benefits they're not entitled to receive? THAT is the whole point! Nobody said people should be treated with less dignity or without the "milk of human kindness", empathy and compassion.

This is too much like back in the Vietnam War era when some people said, "Well, if we got out of Vietnam we could transfer all the money we're spending there to _________________". Well, we got out of Vietnam, but the transfer of money to solve domestic problems never really happened.

We're not talking about Vietnam, nor are we talking about people who pay taxes for various public services such as schools, school lunches for needy children, libraries, etc., etc. We're talking about people who are not citizens receiving basic benefits that Americans are summarily denied.

* Sometimes, in some places, some emergency rooms may be overloaded with illegal immigrants, although I've seen no hint of that the three times I've been in the emergency room. In fact, I have known of illegal immigrants who refuse to go to the emergency room even when they should because they are afraid they will be caught.
Obviously I don't know where you live or when you visited an emergency room or your knowledge of known illegal immigrants who refuse to use an emergency room for fear they will be "caught" but where I am from, believe me when I tell you...they are fearful of nothing. Having said that, TODAY there may be illegals in certain cities throughout America who are fearful and they are apprehensive, to say the least. There are many stories of them walking around and living their lives singing the Zip-a-dee-doo-dah zip-a-dee-ay, what a wonderful day, plenty of sunshine, headin' my way song and then BOOM, ICE shows up, usually after they have been in this country for a considerable time and then the "party" is over.

It seems to me that when something "offends" you (religion, racism, and the "hot button" of immigration, legal or otherwise) you are entitled to your opinion and your view from your personal life experiences AS IT SHOULD BE. I avoid responding to any of your posts because you never concede to the fact that there are and will be posts that don't align with your world view and personal experiences. This is a forum and posters undoubtedly WILL speak from their world view, particular knowledge, and personal experiences as well. Again, AS IT SHOULD BE.

I have lived in foreign countries, countries where I am not a citizen and the first thing I do is visit the U.S. embassy and advise them of my intentions, the length of my stay, etc. I don't sneak in, take advantage of their social programs, take their jobs and try to live "under the radar" and at the expense of their citizens. That is my knowledge, my world view and my life experiences.

In the end, I agree to disagree.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
As a US citizen, my needs are met enough to the point where I can treat every human being with dignity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
The problem stems from falsehoods that 100% of illegals are bad people and the stats prove otherwise. Many of the detained foreigners were coming through legal entry points but are detained never the less.
Quote:
I used to be a school principal in Northern Virginia. We had some kids I was pretty sure were illegals. They were nice kids. Their parents were good people.

We also had one student who was in a gang, and another who was trying to. The one who was in a gang...helluva lot more polite and courteous than the average American kid. The one who wanted to be in a gang worked himself totally out of the gang through Russian roulette.

And then there were hardcore gang members. Nothing good to say about them.
Quote:
Well, yes, America does have that short of an attention span.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Depends on the need more than the recipient

The need for food, for example, is more important than the need for a third yacht.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Another former DC/MD resident here. I have to agree. The most virulent anti-immigrant rhetoric comes from areas where there aren't a lot of minorities or immigrants. Arizona used to be pretty tolerant until rust belt retirees started moving in.
Why do we need more ILLEGALS? In fact, why do we need more immigrants at this point and time, especially low skilled, low educated non english speaking ones?
Leave the emotional arguments out of it, arguments like "well,we should feed and take care of those less fortunate" or "those people come from places that are xxx". Tell me why we need any more of the above described people.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Obviously I don't know where you live or when you visited an emergency room or your knowledge of known illegal immigrants who refuse to use an emergency room for fear they will be "caught" but where I am from, believe me when I tell you...they are fearful of nothing. Having said that, TODAY there may be illegals in certain cities throughout America who are fearful and they are apprehensive, to say the least. There are many stories of them walking around and living their lives singing the Zip-a-dee-doo-dah zip-a-dee-ay, what a wonderful day, plenty of sunshine, headin' my way song and then BOOM, ICE shows up, usually after they have been in this country for a considerable time and then the "party" is over.

It seems to me that when something "offends" you (religion, racism, and the "hot button" of immigration, legal or otherwise) you are entitled to your opinion and your view from your personal life experiences AS IT SHOULD BE. I avoid responding to any of your posts because you never concede to the fact that there are and will be posts that don't align with your world view and personal experiences. This is a forum and posters undoubtedly WILL speak from their world view, particular knowledge, and personal experiences as well. Again, AS IT SHOULD BE.

I have lived in foreign countries, countries where I am not a citizen and the first thing I do is visit the U.S. embassy and advise them of my intentions, the length of my stay, etc. I don't sneak in, take advantage of their social programs, take their jobs and try to live "under the radar" and at the expense of their citizens. That is my knowledge, my world view and my life experiences.

In the end, I agree to disagree.
Do you demand that the countries you visit conduct all business in YOUR home language or do you expect that you will have to understand theirs? Do you demand those countries provide for all of your needs or do you expect to have to handle it yourself?

Sadly the U.S. has put itself in a bad position where it bends over backwards to accommodate those who refuse to assimilate or those that have no rights to be here and on top of that call those U.S. citizens that refuse to bend over raaaaaaaacist for refusing to do so...

Old 06-25-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
WOW. Your families didn't just materialize here, unless they are Native Americans, and there aren't many of those left.
Umm, so called "Native Americans" didn't just materialize here either, they immigrated as well...

Old 06-25-2018, 09:41 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Umm, so called "Native Americans" didn't just materialize here either, they immigrated as well...
Yes, I wonder just how many border check points they went through on their immigration 30,000 years ago.

To immigrate is to seek residency in another country. At the time of the 'native americans' migration into North America there were no countries and no borders, therefore immigration would have been impossible.

Now I do believe that when the Europeans came to North America the Native Americans should have had better border security, you see what happens when you have open borders. Just ask the Native American population how well open borders worked out for them.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:00 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
There is absolutely a part of the ILLEGAL issue that is solvable and that's stopping 'em from getting in to begin with and immediately tossing back those caught. The other part of the puzzle is a simple law change making EVerify use the law with severe penalties for ignoring it.
See how easy that was?

Have you been living under a rock? They have been trying to deport CRIMINAL illegals despite all the left's crying, bleating and blathering about how raaaaaaacist deporting any people is.
All that's happened is every liberal state,county and city has done everything in their power to be sure nobody is deported no matter what or how many crimes they've committed.
Always the right wing idiocy. The majority of those coming in today are overstayers. They come in on airplanes. Airplanes fly over walls.

There is virtually no possibility of an everify that does not require intent to hire illegals. The only real outcome of even a mildly upgraded everify will be to force the illegal aliens to the black market. Almost half are there already.

There is no problem on the left or anywhere with deporting criminal aliens. I would note however that doing so has in fact created the problem with such groups as MS13 which originated in Los Angeles but has now been spread widely in the Americas by the bad guys we deported.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:02 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:

Perhaps you could provide a specific reference where the left has asked for MS-13 (and other actual gang members) to not be deported.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:30 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
I'm a lib, and so are most of my friends. And we all want MS-13 and other Latino gangs arrested and deported. I've actually dealt on a small scale with members of MS-13 when I lived and worked in Northern Virginia. But, apparently you believe that if you repeat the falsehood enough, people will believe it.
What falsehood? The actions of you and yours work toward open borders, citizenship for all, and in brief the eventual destruction of our culture and civilization.

You may think otherwise, but Mexico does NOT have open borders. China does NOT have open borders.
Nor do either have "birthright citizenship," which is not even statute but was a court ruling and is also utterly insane.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:32 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Do you demand that the countries you visit conduct all business in YOUR home language or do you expect that you will have to understand theirs? Do you demand those countries provide for all of your needs or do you expect to have to handle it yourself?

I absolutely did not expect them to conduct any business with me in my native tongue, I went beyond understanding theirs as I preferred to learn to speak, read and write (in their alphabet). I did it because I wanted to be a part of their world and participate in their lives and their country as opposed to being a mere helpless bystander, an outsider and dependent on others to take care of my needs, whatever they may be. That was over 30 years ago and I still speak fluently in THEIR language.

Sadly the U.S. has put itself in a bad position where it bends over backwards to accommodate those who refuse to assimilate or those that have no rights to be here and on top of that call those U.S. citizens that refuse to bend over raaaaaaaacist for refusing to do so...
Those reasons for demanding accommodation are for powerful and political reasons. And they're not for the purpose of accommodating everyone equally but rather particular members of specific groups.

Yes, there are people who enjoy labeling some as xenophobic, intolerant, ethnocentric, biased, prejudiced, etc., etc. etc.

I don't care for it but really it is just part and parcel of life when one's opinion on this subject is objectionable to others.

My children are healthy, my dogs are fed and walked, I have no pressing difficulties...so I will likely live my life regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates