Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 06:16 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Then why bring it up?
You saw bad people do something bad one time. Big deal.
This is exactly what I disrespect. I did not mention Trump at all in the post you responded to. It doesn't matter how often you say I did, I did not. I mentioned "Republicans".

And no, waving confederate flags and even Nazi symbols has not been a one-time thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The person you replied to was speaking of illegal aliens, not refugees. Illegal aliens cost us over $113 billion a year after you factor in the tax contributions. It pales in comparison.
Okay, but let's balance it is out. And I'm just asking the question. I will accept your figure. Do they add anything to the economy?

Old 06-27-2018, 06:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The person you replied to was speaking of illegal aliens, not refugees. Illegal aliens cost us over $113 billion a year after you factor in the tax contributions. It pales in comparison.
Anytime OG publishes this lie all you need to do is go to...

https://www.cato.org/blog/fairs-fisc...fatally-flawed

You can get a quick check on these studies. Just look and see how the handle the costs of the American Citizen children of the illegal aliens. If they appear as a major cost item you know they are cooking the books.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:31 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is exactly what I disrespect. I did not mention Trump at all in the post you responded to. It doesn't matter how often you say I did, I did not. I mentioned "Republicans".

And no, waving confederate flags and even Nazi symbols has not been a one-time thing.
No Republican has anything to do with Nazis thus no response of any kind is needed. The Klan was the militant wing of the Democratic Party.

Do you see Klan rallies on a daily basis where you’re from? The whole Charlottesville thing is way overhyped and has nothing to do with immigration or this thread.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
No Republican has anything to do with Nazis thus no response of any kind is needed. The Klan was the militant wing of the Democratic Party.

Do you see Klan rallies on a daily basis where you’re from? The whole Charlottesville thing is way overhyped and has nothing to do with immigration or this thread.
Actually the KKK was a feature of the southern conservatives. They were democrats until the civil rights act where upon they moved to the Republican side. So pretty much the "American First" etc. Now hang on the Republican side. The people in Charlottesville were clearly supportive of the right and certainly have not been dumped by Trump et al.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:53 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Anytime OG publishes this lie all you need to do is go to...

https://www.cato.org/blog/fairs-fisc...fatally-flawed

You can get a quick check on these studies. Just look and see how the handle the costs of the American Citizen children of the illegal aliens. If they appear as a major cost item you know they are cooking the books.
Why would you expect the children of illegal aliens to suddenly rise into the middle and upper class and pay not only their own way but those of their parents? If they appear as an economic contributor I’d say they’re cooking the books. The counties in the US with the highest percentage of illegals are also the economically worst performing.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:59 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Depends on the party. Democrats will put immigrants first, especially illegals. Republicans will put Americans first.
Republicans put coroporations first.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Why would you expect the children of illegal aliens to suddenly rise into the middle and upper class and pay not only their own way but those of their parents? If they appear as an economic contributor I’d say they’re cooking the books. The counties in the US with the highest percentage of illegals are also the economically worst performing.
This is wrong. Las Vegas has about the highest percentage of illegal aliens of any major city but performs quite well. You may be able to find a few small population counties that do badly but LV has more illegals than 10 of them and does well.

And I expect the children of the illegal aliens to do pretty well if born and educated in the states. The Hispanics tend to work hard and push their children. They actually have a somewhat conservative bend. So yeah I think the kids will do well and their children will vanish into the melting pot. My first wife was born to Italian American parents. Her mother grew up in Italy though she was born in the US. My wife did not take up English until she was four. But as an adult her Italian was an ability to understand simple conversation. And our children are about as American as you can get and all at least moderately successful.

So the children of the illegal aliens will do fine. They generally have family structure and support to do well.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:

I'm talking about the 21st century, not the 1800s.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...mp-kkk/473190/

Old 06-27-2018, 08:52 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I am totally opposed to illegal immigration. At this point however there is no way to prevent it unless we get our immigration system under control. The only practical way to do that is to legalize the vast majority of those illegals already present.

Protection development of American citizen children is perfectly rational. We do not want to have to deal with damaged children.

That some of you would like to discriminate again particular American Citizen demographics is your problem. I see no reason why the American citizen child of an illegal is less worthy of aid than the American citizen child of a poor mother in Appalachia or of a black mother in the ghetto.

And yes sometimes the system gets beaten in ERs as elsewhere. Lots of fun and games on SNAP. So enforce the law better. But don't blame the illegal alien for getting sick. Mostly they would avoid it if possible.
Again, you state illegals get no free food. You know better than that so why lie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates