Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 12:18 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
You come across as a guy who I will describe in one word: jealous.

You're jealous because you couldn't cut it. You're jealous that people are thanking vets for their service. You're jealous because no one thanks an accountant for their "service." You're jealous vets get preference points for civil service jobs.

Stop being jealous, it makes you look petty.

Also, I don't "get" to travel the world on my employer's dime. I don't "get" housing, I don't "get" food and I don't "get" college paid for. I provided a service in exchange for "getting" those things. Getting something implies it's not in exchange for service.
Hahaha, you make me laugh my little friend. I guess the Army didn't teach you reading comprehension. Real nice straw argument you came up with there. Do you have bursitis in your shoulder yet? It's an unnatural motion to reach behind your back, especially multiple times a day when you're patting yourself on the back every time you feel someone doesn't acknowledge your "sacrifice" or proclaim you're "special" and think you have the toughest job in the world

Quote:
For a young person without a family, who doesn't want to go to school, the military can be a great place for them to start.
I agree 100% with that and said so in a previous post. Actually I believe I said or implied that multiple times. But for some reason insecure whiners like yourself take it as some kind of slight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 12:29 AM

1,991 posts, read 901,202 times
^^^^Like I posted earlier, he's lost it.^^^^

Old 08-07-2018, 12:48 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
^^^^Like I posted earlier, he's lost it.^^^^
Boulder has now grown to a mountain I see.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:25 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,761,435 times
Quote:
You come across as a guy who I will describe in one word: jealous.

You're jealous because you couldn't cut it. You're jealous that people are thanking vets for their service. You're jealous because no one thanks an accountant for their "service." You're jealous vets get preference points for civil service jobs.

Stop being jealous, it makes you look petty.

Also, I don't "get" to travel the world on my employer's dime. I don't "get" housing, I don't "get" food and I don't "get" college paid for. I provided a service in exchange for "getting" those things. Getting something implies it's not in exchange for service.

For a young person without a family, who doesn't want to go to school, the military can be a great place for them to start.

You mean those paid vacations to the sandbox weren't enjoyable for us?

I mean, we got tons of ammo, targets to shoot at. The targets were so realistic they even shot back!
you tell him....pointless really as hes now showing his true colours........yellow.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,084,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
People have weird resentment issues with public servants of all sorts. They hate paying taxes, and hate that they don't get the same benefits... Ignoring the fact that they knowingly didn't choose that life.

People really hate that we teachers get the summers off... That's part of the job, that is a big part of our compensation. If others want that they can go get an education degree and apply.

Want free college/VA loans/other benefits? Well, the military is now open to people of all races, genders, religions, sexual orientations etc. I don't think I can complain, I had the option and didn't take it.
A group of people I really admire are firefighters. Friend asked me if I ever considered applying and I said no way. Are you crazy? Why would I want to run into a burning building.

Getting shot at, I can't accept that.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:37 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
One of my college buddies (a high school teacher in Georgia) felt the need to vent his frustration over something he witnessed the other day. According to my friend, a stranger sat down next to a Navy vet, who proceeded to ask the stranger whether he had ever served his country? The stranger "hesitated," before stating "not in the military." The vet then laughed and replied something along the lines of "don't tell me you mean that chicken-**** Peace Corps or something").

Well, my friend was deeply upset with this and went on a decent rant about how it is ridiculous that many believe that the military is the most significant or even the most significant way to serve your country. About how we have taken things "too far" with the "Godlike pedestal" we put military service members on, as it devalues other forms of public service, such as teaching, medicine, and social justice warfare (i.e. putting yourselves in "harm's way by protesting against the police). This friend demands that other forms of public service get treated the same as military service. That teachers, doctors, lawyers, social justice warriors, etc., get saluted at ball games, get preferential boarding at airports, etc. To be fair, my friend claimed that he was in no way denigrating military service.

While I greatly respect the work of men and women serving as teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc., I find much of what my friend wrote to be troubling. Simply put, I believe that members of the AF (as a general matter) do provide a different service requiring greater sacrifice than teachers, doctors, lawyers, etc. Indeed, how many teachers, etc., have been killed in the line of duty in the last 15 years (or last however many years you want to count)? How many teachers, etc., risk their lives every day just by putting on their uniform to go do their work? How many teachers are separated from their families for up to a year (or more) on regular deployments, etc.? There's a reason why military men and women are put on a "pedestal" by society (generally). What they do is different (although not necessarily "better" or "greater") than what your regular public servant does.

Still, I seemed to be in the minority with my beliefs (granted, most of my friend's connections lean left on the political spectrum, which may help to explain things). I'm curious to know how many (and why) would agree with my friend.

Someone who risks his or her life for the safety of others will always have my gratitude. Military personnel, police, firefighters, and others wake up every day knowing that they might be dealing with a dangerous situation that day.

Your example of teachers being killed in the line of duty is specious. Whereas someone entering into the teacher profession doesn't really believe that he or she will be gunned down on the job, a person entering the military goes into this fully understanding that this is a possibility.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:10 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
I've followed this thread off and on since it started. It's an interesting conversation. Before I really get into my thoughts I want to review the OP's friend's "observation" and ensuing rant:

Quote:
One of my college buddies (a high school teacher in Georgia) felt the need to vent his frustration over something he witnessed the other day. According to my friend, a stranger sat down next to a Navy vet, who proceeded to ask the stranger whether he had ever served his country? The stranger "hesitated," before stating "not in the military." The vet then laughed and replied something along the lines of "don't tell me you mean that chicken-**** Peace Corps or something").

Well, my friend was deeply upset with this and went on a decent rant about how it is ridiculous that many believe that the military is the most significant or even the most significant way to serve your country. About how we have taken things "too far" with the "Godlike pedestal" we put military service members on, as it devalues other forms of public service, such as teaching, medicine, and social justice warfare (i.e. putting yourselves in "harm's way by protesting against the police). This friend demands that other forms of public service get treated the same as military service. That teachers, doctors, lawyers, social justice warriors, etc., get saluted at ball games, get preferential boarding at airports, etc. To be fair, my friend claimed that he was in no way denigrating military service.
I'll be blunt: I think OP's friend is making this up. I realize I'm reading this several layers removed from what the OP's friend allegedly observed, but as described it's pretty shoddy and contrived. Almost as if he had a pre-existing rant he wanted to make, if only he could witness something to "prompt" such a rant without making himself look like a petty a$$hat. I've seen some service members who've had a chip on their shoulder, but in 19+ years of service and observing these types the chip on their shoulder tends to be reactionary. Guys don't go seeking out people to berate over not serving. The truth is most don't care if you did or didn't serve in the military, but they sometimes let that chip on their shoulder get the best of them if they don't feel they've been treated the way they should be, recognized, etc.

I certainly discourage this kind of thought process among service members; it's called the "service" for a reason. With that said, and recognizing I can never definitively prove it one way or the other, I'm just going to assume the OP's friend made it up so he'd have a catalyst for his rant rather than just being honest and wanting to share something nagging on his mind.

To the larger question, I don't think the public goes too far recognizing the military's sacrifice. The reason why I feel this way is because nobody is forcing them to do it. Places give discounts, give public recognition, etc. It's their choice to do so and if that's what they've chosen to do (or not to do) it's their prerogative. To me it's nice, but not required.

I also think other public servants, such as police and firefighters do not get the recognition they deserve. Police, most of whom are probably good people trying to do a difficult job the right way, have had their reputation and occupations dragged through the mud by none other than their own president over the actions of a few bad apples (and in some cases, the second guessing of good officers who were doing their job correctly). You couldn't pay me enough to be a police officer. Between the daily potential for risk and the recent social unrest, this is a group that is wildly unappreciated. As for firefighters their job speaks for itself. There is no way you could get this Marine to run into a burning building. I'll take my chances with an enemy shooting rockets, mortars, and small arms fires at me, and pit my training and that of those in my unit against theirs every day of the week and twice on Sundays before willingly running into a burning building.

There are others too. Paramedics, doctors, etc. Teachers and school administrators have an increasingly difficult job, and deserve more recognition than they are likely getting. Society is full of unsung heroes. I think the guy who drives the garbage truck through my neighborhood likely isn't getting the appreciation he warrants. People volunteer their time to serve as counselors for those recovering from drug or alcohol problems. Not everyone gets the credit they deserve.

If this bothers the OP's friend, my suggestion is not to stop recognizing one group for what they do, but to find a group who is not getting the recognition they deserve and start working to change that.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:16 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:

To be honest, your friend seems petty. "deeply upset"? lol He was deeply upset because soldiers get saluted at ball games? lol And that is "Godlike pedestal" we put military service members on? lol This has to be a joke. Plus, just because one group gets a little special attention, doesn't mean other groups don't deserve respect. This is not a popularity contest. lol Senior citizens get discount at some retail stores too by the way. lol

Maybe Our veterans deserve respect for their sacrifices and the best care we can provide for the wounds, visible and internal, that war inevitably imposes. If we feel guilty about our longest wars, perhaps we should direct our focus inward, instead of displacing it onto unknown soldiers.

I have two uncles who are doctors, honestly speaking, they get respect they deserve. When my brother served in the Marine Corps, the only civilians care about him are his family members. (and that is okay) If there is a so called "Godlike pedestal", I would like to see it.

Most of the veterans I know don't NEED to hear "Thank you for your service." They always respond it with "Thank you for your support" in order to be polite. I say thank you to the waiter in a restaurant, does it mean that I put him on a pedestal? Since when being polite is worshipping?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-08-2018 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-08-2018, 06:08 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
A group of people I really admire are firefighters. Friend asked me if I ever considered applying and I said no way. Are you crazy? Why would I want to run into a burning building.

Getting shot at, I can't accept that.
Why not? My husband loved that sh*t.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:23 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
sadly though its not halloween and not dressing up for fun.... get a grip... they cant walk out of the job when they like.. they cant answer back.. they take orders even if they dont agree with the orders....

And that is what people don't "get". Those who willingly give their life to make sure all of us "average joes" have the freedom to do and say and live the way we do/want. I really wish they would make all people serve at least a term in the military just so they would understand how lucky we are to have those freedoms that are protected by those who actually volunteer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates