Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 07:31 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post

But to get back to the original question posed to this forum. No, I will not thank military agents for their service. They are just another necessary (though misused) component of what makes a society. The mailman, garbage man and parks department employees do a lot more for my 'way of life' than a soldier does.
well, then don't. lol

This is a free country. I certainly won't judge you for that. I don't thank everybody for their service either, but I DO show them respect and treat them with human decency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 07:31 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,772,607 times
Ok, let's try to keep this on topic folks.

The OP asks if we do and should put military people on a pedestal. I say that we do put them on a pedestal... but it's the wrong pedestal.

It's meaningless to praise people for "defending freedom" when they never actually do that. Surely veterans notice this, and it bothers them when our entire culture lies about who they are and what they do. I mean, it would bother me if people praised me for being a world-saving hero... when really I just sit in a cubicle and click a mouse all day.

No, our military deserves *honest* praise. Nobody kills as efficiently** as our Great Warriors

**Efficient in terms of disproportionate casualty rates. Not dollars spent.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:36 PM

50,893 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Annnnndddd, there it is. Had to expect this eventually.
Well perhaps you ought to look at this list that includes all (that I could find) American missions since the end of actions related to World War II that included fighting and/or bombing. I bolded all (ahem) those against "white" nations. Notice anything?

1948: Berlin: Berlin Airlift

1950–1953: Korean War

1955-1975: Vietnam War

1961: Bay of Pigs Invasion

1962–1975: Laos

1965: Invasion of Dominican Republic

1968: Laos & Cambodia secret bombing campaign

1970: Cambodian Campaign

1983: Grenada

1986: Libya: Operation El Dorado Canyon

1987: Persian Gulf: Operation Nimble Archer.

1988: Persian Gulf: Operation Praying Mantis

1989–1990: Panama: United States invasion of Panama and Operation Just Cause

1991: Iraq: Operation Desert Storm

1991: Iraq: Operation Desert Sabre

1995: Bosnia: Operation Deliberate Force

1996: Kuwait: Operation Desert Strike

1998: Iraq: Operation Desert Fox

1998: Afghanistan and Sudan: Operation Infinite Reach

1999: Serbia: Operation Allied Force

2001–2014: War in Afghanistan

2003–2011: War in Iraq: Operation Iraqi Freedom

2004: War on Terror

2004–present: The U.S. deploys drone strikes to aid in the War in North-West Pakistan

2007: Somalia: Battle of Ras Kamboni

2010–present: al-Qaeda insurgency in Yemen

2010–2011: Operation New Dawn

2011: 2011 military intervention in Libya

2011: Operation Neptune Spear.

2011: Drone strikes on al-Shabab militants begin in Somalia.

2013: Navy SEALs conducted a raid in Somalia

2014–present: American intervention in Iraq

2014: 2014 American rescue mission in Syria

2014–present: American-led intervention in Syria

2014–present: Intervention against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant

2014: 2014 Yemen hostage rescue operations against al-Qaeda

2017: 2017 Shayrat missile strike

2018: 2018 bombing of Damascus and Homs

Old 08-13-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Ok, let's try to keep this on topic folks.

The OP asks if we do and should put military people on a pedestal. I say that we do put them on a pedestal... but it's the wrong pedestal.
well, I think more people just realized that how we treat the veterans should have nothing to do with the nature of the war.

Regardless they fought ww2, or other wars, they should all be treated with the same respect and human decency. It is really that simple.

However they are used by the government, is another topic. Not many Americans are very happy with our foreign policies for the past 50 something years, but trying to find a scapegoat (the military or the military service members) is not very productive.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, I think more people just realized that how we treat the veterans should have nothing to do with the nature of the war.

Regardless they fought ww2, or other wars, they should all be treated with the same respect and human decency.

However they are used by the government, is another topic.
Respect and dignity like any non-criminal. That includes being honest about who they are and what they do. Not filling them up with feel-good lies designed to hook the next generation of impressionable teenagers.

Flattering lies are not respectful.

And yes, military people are required under threat of punishment to follow orders. Even if that means killing people who are no credible threat to any U.S. citizen.

So thanks military folks- for killing whomever you're asked to kill promptly and without question. Great job at killin'

Old 08-13-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Respect and dignity like any non-criminal. That includes being honest about who they are and what they do. Not filling them up with feel-good lies designed to hook the next generation of impressionable teenagers.

Flattering lies are not respectful.
well, many people joined the military for very honorable reasons. They can use their own stories to educate the future generation (if they have regrets, they can certainly share their regrets too)

This is a free country.

Nothing changed the fact that military service members deserve respect and should be treated with human decency.

That's all.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
However they are used by the government, is another topic. Not many Americans are very happy with our foreign policies for the past 50 something years, but trying to find a scapegoat (the military or the military service members) is not very productive.
And again, I think we'd better keep this on topic. I'd be happy to discuss this elsewhere. But this is about when and how military people should be praised.

It's not about who they're required to kill in return for a paycheck and esteem from we citizens who praise them

Old 08-13-2018, 07:54 PM

405 posts, read 257,987 times
Quote:
they should all be treated with the same respect and human decency.

Try to follow along. The question posed by the OP wasn't should all people be treated with human decency. The question was should the military be held on a pedestal over other members of society, and if you think that way, why?

I don't recall going to a hockey game (or football, or just about any event) where the mailmen were paraded into the arena or the widows of the men killed on fishing boats given standing ovations.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
well, many people joined the military for very honorable reasons. They can use their own stories to educate the future generation (if they have regrets, they can certainly share their regrets too)

This is a free country.

Nothing changed the fact that military service members deserve respect and should be treated with human decency.

That's all.
I absolutely agree that military service members should be treated with human decency.

For instance, our fine service men and women should NOT be killed because they are (for instance) inconvenient to some more powerful country's economic and/or geopolitical interests.

Military people deserve the same respect that all humans deserve

Old 08-13-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
Try to follow along. The question posed by the OP wasn't should all people be treated with human decency. The question was should the military be held on a pedestal over other members of society, and if you think that way, why?

I don't recall going to a hockey game (or football, or just about any event) where the mailmen were paraded into the arena or the widows of the men killed on fishing boats given standing ovations.
I don't think this way. lol

I think they deserve the SAME respect as other groups.

Matter of fact, I have said it many times,

saying "I think military service members deserve respect' is NOT the same as "other groups don't deserve the same respect"

It is not a popularity contest.

well, for the bold, I agree with you. But just because other groups are not given standing ovations, does not mean they (the military service members) shouldn't be given that either.

Like another poster said, the suggestion is not to stop recognizing one group for what they do, but to find a group who is not getting the recognition they deserve and start working to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates