Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 11:19 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,036,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
First off, do you really think 1,000 a month will enable me, to sit on my azz?

Second, if Andrew Yang's plan was implemented I would have choice if I wanted it or not and so would you as the income is Universal ...

So, conclusion are you willing to sit on your azz for only 1,000 a month?
PS: Speaking of giving money ---
How a New Hampshire family spent Andrew Yang's 'Freedom Dividend'

“Everything Andrew’s running on of the UBI, we experienced,” said Jodie Fassi. “It helped us pay for our car or that night out that we typically probably would have stayed in because we didn’t have the extra money ... it definitely put money into the economy.”
Andrew Yang is horse’s butt and Americans completely and utterly rejected his unAmerican azz. His support for mass welfare programs might do well in Europe. But here we expect you to earn your money not steal it. Look, this garbage is never ever happening. So you better plan on pulling your weight, cause that’s what you will be doing, if you are even worth employing at all. If you’re not? Starve. Quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
a VAT

Because you will 'need' employees.
So now you are proposing yet another confiscatory tax in addition to all the others we already have.

What the heck are you? Don’t you have any self respect? How does anyone with an ounce of competence or pride support this utter bullsheet? It’s disgusting, it really is.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:28 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,591,221 times
Quote:
a VAT

Because you will 'need' employees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
So now you are proposing yet another confiscatory tax in addition to all the others we already have.

What the heck are you? Don’t you have any self respect? How does anyone with an ounce of competence or pride support this utter bullsheet? It’s disgusting, it really is.
The purposed VAT is one that corporate can not get out of paying ... as opposed to our current tax codes, that they can drive a bull dosser through ... and never have to pay a penny in taxes.
Quote:
It’s disgusting, it really is.
Having faith in people is not something that is normally done today, I know.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
The purposed VAT is one that corporate can not get out of paying ... as opposed to our current tax codes, that they can drive a bull dosser through ... and never have to pay a penny in taxes.
Corporations shouldn’t be paying any taxes anyway. They generate goods and services and jobs and stock profits for investors. They should be allowed to keep 100% of their revenues to expand business and growth.

So no, no VAT. And repeal of corporate income taxes.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:40 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,591,221 times
Quote:
Quote:
Corporations shouldn’t be paying any taxes anyway. They generate goods and services and jobs and stock profits for investors. They should be allowed to keep 100% of their revenues to expand business and growth.

The individual should be allowed to keep all of their earnings, as well, so as to put food on their tables, clothe themselves and keep the roof over their heads --- what's good for the goose is salt for the gander.

Repeal the federal income tax altogether as the u.s. is all about equality is it not? A universal plan, that may not be as hated as the ubi, as the government can not redistribute something it hasn't stolen from our pockets. In a perfect world it would work out that way, however ...
Quote:
They should be allowed to keep 100% of their revenues to expand business and growth.
The corporate income tax rate reached 52.8% from 1968-1969, the highest in US history. The unemployment rate during these years was 3.6% and 3.5% respectively. I don't see as how a VAT would be a huge imposition on corporate America, who is taxed only on their profits and many pay less than the ones they employ.

There is a reason for federal assistant programs, fix the reason, and alleviate the need. Since that can't happen, because if it could it would have already --- In order for the companies to continue to have buyers for their goods and services, the ubi, paid for through the VAT, maybe the only thing that will enable many companies to stay in business. Since it is universal, every one will get a piece of the pie, including the owners of said businesses. They could then use the money to do what? Expand their business and grow it.

It isn't a zero sum game --- funny people want to present it as such.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:14 AM

15,418 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
The doctor doesn’t know why or how he died, and neither do you, and neither does anyone. 63 year olds sometimes just die.

Next, I don’t accept your characterization of what happened. At all. If he was injured in a workplace accident he could have sued the employer and received a settlement. From the employer’s insurance company. Even if they were bankrupt. Your story is basically a lie you’ve concocted to push your left wing agenda.

As far as your single moms, guess what? Don’t have kids until you are financially stable. Don’t have kids with losers. Be more careful. Kids shouldn’t even be considered until you have substantial savings and a house and a stable marriage with someone you can trust and who has demonstrated the ability and desire to be a good dad.
So all your bullsheet sob stories of single moms and unfortunate lightning-struck nice people who keep walking under falling pianos and exploding gas lines? Shove those stories where the sun don’t shine.

Your last statement totally gives your character away, not that there was any suspicion that you had any. But totally illustrates the vicious collectivist mindset and worldview: “the rest of us can just take your stuff by passing the right legislation. This is what happens in those rare times when a collectivist lets the truth out by accident. What often emerges is an envious hateful zombie who wants to steal from others what he can never hope to earn. Glad the honesty snuck out. Usually it’s the fake phony fraudulent altruist-collectivistic platitudes and virtue signaling. But you decided to let us see behind the curtain a bit. So thanks for that!
My friend's employer covered the surgery after being sued. They didn't cover the long term disability and then went bankrupt, eliminating their liability. It's apparent you don't have any real understanding of the legal system, other than what your rent seeking guild tells you.

You keep harping about kids, savings, etc. Guess what, people get married and have sex. it's what humans do. Kids result from sex. Then, lots of women think they are in a happy marriage, but their husband can't keep his pants zipped. That happens too, and it's often impossible to tell that your spouse is a loser. Or, like my friends, she got pregnant after having a tubal ligation.

I am not much of a collectivist, but the legislation I propose would tax guild members in certain states at 110% of their gross revenues, simply for being jerks, and failing to contribute to society.

Quote:
Corporations don't really pay VAT. VAT is charged to the end purchaser of the products a corporation sells, and in the end, tax is collected on the net value added to the inputs.

Quote:

OK, what government services are you willing to give up? Oh, that's right, you don't use any government services. You don't drive on public streets, you don't call the police or fire department when there's an emergency, you don't want the country to be protected from enemies, etc. Do you object to funding the government agency that protects your guild, and allows you to rent seek at the expense of the public?

Old 05-19-2020, 08:52 AM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
The United States used to be a nation of visionaries, pioneers and go-getters. Now, it is becoming a nation of whiners, takers and losers.

It makes you wonder what is happening to this country. A reduction in the population is in order at this point.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
My friend's employer covered the surgery after being sued. They didn't cover the long term disability and then went bankrupt, eliminating their liability. It's apparent you don't have any real understanding of the legal system, other than what your rent seeking guild tells you.
Yes, and you have a ready answer for every solution that keeps your friend in victim status. I don’t believe your account. I believe you are lying to push an agenda.

Quote:

You keep harping about kids, savings, etc. Guess what, people get married and have sex. it's what humans do. Kids result from sex. Then, lots of women think they are in a happy marriage, but their husband can't keep his pants zipped. That happens too, and it's often impossible to tell that your spouse is a loser. Or, like my friends, she got pregnant after having a tubal ligation.
No, people don’t have kids. They choose to have kids either affirmatively, or negligently. Either which way, you are responsible for the kids you bring in to the world, including any and all behaviors that led to their births. Pay the freight. They are your responsibility, not anyone else’s.

And no, all losers can be spotted. If your eyes are open and you don’t choose to see what you want to see and settle for less. You date for a couple of years, you keep your eyes open, you watch behaviors and coping, you study relationships with family members. Easy, peasy. People are open books, but you have to actually open the book and read the words.

Quote:

I am not much of a collectivist, but the legislation I propose would tax guild members in certain states at 110% of their gross revenues, simply for being jerks, and failing to contribute to society.
Bullsheet. You are a massive collectivist, advocating for violent confiscation of private wealth for redistribution to those who want to take what they cannot earn and trade for. You need to leave my country.

Quote:

Corporations don't really pay VAT. VAT is charged to the end purchaser of the products a corporation sells, and in the end, tax is collected on the net value added to the inputs.
It is yet another new confiscation forced on people against their will using the police power of the state. It is tyranny. It is evil. And it ain’t happening. Seriously, you need to leave my country.

All corporate taxes should be repealed. So should personal income taxes. We can move to voluntary taxation and the state can use gofundme type systems where citizens can decide how much tax they want to pay, and what programs they want to pay for. You want welfare? Pay 10% of your earnings to welfare. You like a big military. Select that line item and allocate your voluntary tax to defense. The Internet makes it possible for citizens to pay for exactly what they want. Stupid programs won’t get funded, and if they do, the loss is borne exclusively by those who chose them. You got a program that you think is valuable and good? Convince other citizens through rational persuasion.

To hell with your VAT, that’s for Eurotrashland. And to hell with your redistribution and endless sob stories of need and incompetence. I like people who don’t want to steal money from other people.

Quote:

OK, what government services are you willing to give up? Oh, that's right, you don't use any government services. You don't drive on public streets, you don't call the police or fire department when there's an emergency, you don't want the country to be protected from enemies, etc. Do you object to funding the government agency that protects your guild, and allows you to rent seek at the expense of the public?
Certain services are ok such as roads and courts and police and jails. But services that give people the property of others simply because they need it? No, don’t want that. Everyone should earn their own money, or ASK for help if they need it. It’s called a free society. Not a society that is obligated to give you free things.

I am a proud member of the rent seeking guild. Providing amazing properties to tenants who FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY PAY ME to provide excellent and useful space for living, working, and loving!

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 05-19-2020 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-19-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The United States used to be a nation of visionaries, pioneers and go-getters. Now, it is becoming a nation of whiners, takers and losers.

It makes you wonder what is happening to this country. A reduction in the population is in order at this point.
Too much emphasis on the damnable contemptible “little guy”. The emphasis is now on making “little guys” of us all. Little “dependent” guys...

Old 05-19-2020, 03:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

It has always been this way, the problem was it wasn't as plain to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates