Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2020, 08:57 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
What is your reason why you do or do not like UBI?
Don't you think it is shameful for a man to be unable to provide a Basic Income for himself and his family?

How is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 09:25 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Don't you think it is shameful for a man to be unable to provide a Basic Income for himself and his family?

How is it not?
I had a friend who had a decent job in the grocery business, as did his wife. He was badly injured on the job one day, 7 surgeries, years of rehab, etc. He was on Social Security Disability for a while, until they told him he was healed, even though he was still in severe pain and unable to work. He never did get back to full strength, and was unable to get a job that would support his family. So no, it's not shameful for a man to be unable to provide for his family, because poop happens.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:45 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I had a friend who had a decent job in the grocery business, as did his wife. He was badly injured on the job one day, 7 surgeries, years of rehab, etc. He was on Social Security Disability for a while, until they told him he was healed, even though he was still in severe pain and unable to work. He never did get back to full strength, and was unable to get a job that would support his family. So no, it's not shameful for a man to be unable to provide for his family, because poop happens.
Everyone's got their favorite sob story. But sob stories don't address theft of other people's property. You don't get the right to do that no matter what your adversity. You ASK for help, and it is usually forthcoming. But we can't live in a society where people think it's ok to take other people's stuff because they need it. And more often just really WANT IT A LOT.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:01 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Everyone's got their favorite sob story. But sob stories don't address theft of other people's property. You don't get the right to do that no matter what your adversity. You ASK for help, and it is usually forthcoming. But we can't live in a society where people think it's ok to take other people's stuff because they need it. And more often just really WANT IT A LOT.
I wasn't talking to you, I was addressing a question of whether it's shameful for a man not to support his family.

From your overall comments, I assume you are opposed to any sort of social safety net, like the 5 years of Social Security disability my friend received while he was undergoing his surgeries and rehab, and would prefer for people to just exist in horrible pain, while their family slowly starves to death. That's a pretty evil way to think. Especially for someone who belongs to a rent seeking guild that does its best to raise barriers to entry and increase costs for customers.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:01 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking to you, I was addressing a question of whether it's shameful for a man not to support his family.

From your overall comments, I assume you are opposed to any sort of social safety net, like the 5 years of Social Security disability my friend received while he was undergoing his surgeries and rehab, and would prefer for people to just exist in horrible pain, while their family slowly starves to death. That's a pretty evil way to think. Especially for someone who belongs to a rent seeking guild that does its best to raise barriers to entry and increase costs for customers.
Deflection. You are failing to identify the “compassion“ in a system where the wealth of productive people is systematically raided and stolen for the unearned and undeserved benefit of other people.

Your friend and wife could have provided their own social safety net by having had a savings plan in place where 20% of income was put away and invested to handle emergencies. He could’ve easily had one to two years of income saved. And for longer interruptions in income he could buy income interruption insurance in the private market. There is no need for a system of socially sanctioned theft where people forcibly take money from others because they need it or want it a lot. We just don’t need that type of system.

We should have a private market economy where insurance can be purchased for any and all catastrophes. And we should have an education system that teaches people how to think so that they can come to the correct conclusion to buy these insurance products when they are healthy.

And not in the middle of a sob story constructed to advance an agenda of redistribution and theft. No matter what your little catastrophic anecdote is, a system can easily be devised where citizens take care of the problem individually, for their own benefit, using voluntary and free private market products. Then they do not need to lean on others using the police power of the state to confiscate what is not theirs.

Private insurance, not public welfare. Capitalism, not collectivism. Freedom, not tyranny.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:40 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:

Interesting comment. There is a lot of truth to it.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:20 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Geez, all this panic and push-back and UBI is but a concept. Theft ... the Alternative Minimum Tax. That's theft. How are we going to pay for it?! It will destroy the country!! No it won't. Not that it matters. We aren't ready. Obviously.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:04 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
The single biggest problem with UBI is something that its proponents suggest can happen that in reality NEVER will.

It will not ever be allowed to completely replace means-tested assistance programs and the infrastructure that has grown to support them.

So it would be UBI plus plus plus and that defeats the purpose.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:41 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
The single biggest problem with UBI is something that its proponents suggest can happen that in reality NEVER will.

It will not ever be allowed to completely replace means-tested assistance programs and the infrastructure that has grown to support them.

So it would be UBI plus plus plus and that defeats the purpose.

I do not understand this at all. I don't know anyone saying UBI will replace 'means tested assistance programs'. "So it would be UBI plus plus plus <horrors> and that defeats the purpose" which is what in your estimation? Of course it would be UBI plus whatever minimum wage you currently earn; UBI plus SSI; UBI plus SSDI; UBI plus TANF plus Section 8 plus WIC!!!! OMG people would quit their jobs as Robotics Engineers paying $175K/yr. to get UBI!!! Get real. The real concern is more that McDonald's won't be as attractive at $10/hr. Yes it will. It will be MORE attractive to work at Mickey D's for $10/hr. when you have a $1000/mo. backstop paying your fixed costs! You CAN'T work for $10/hr in a high overhead country like America! UBI makes it possible.

The phenomenon we are witnessing right now where a measly $600/mo. kicker added to unemployment insurance actually makes unemployment MORE than a persons wage. Employers DO NOT PAY ENOUGH! We have normalized wages that are criminally low and have been so for decades. I've been doing some back of the napkin calculations how just how many votes are going to be lost to despair and resultant suicide before the big election. Your side should be very concerned. You should WANT to financially prop up your disappearing electorate.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:44 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I do not understand this at all. I don't know anyone saying UBI will replace 'means tested assistance programs'. "So it would be UBI plus plus plus <horrors> and that defeats the purpose" which is what in your estimation? Of course it would be UBI plus whatever minimum wage you currently earn; UBI plus SSI; UBI plus SSDI; UBI plus TANF plus Section 8 plus WIC!!!! OMG people would quit their jobs as Robotics Engineers paying $175K/yr. to get UBI!!! Get real. The real concern is more that McDonald's won't be as attractive at $10/hr. Yes it will. It will be MORE attractive to work at Mickey D's for $10/hr. when you have a $1000/mo. backstop paying your fixed costs! You CAN'T work for $10/hr in a high overhead country like America! UBI makes it possible.

The phenomenon we are witnessing right now where a measly $600/mo. kicker added to unemployment insurance actually makes unemployment MORE than a persons wage. Employers DO NOT PAY ENOUGH! We have normalized wages that are criminally low and have been so for decades. I've been doing some back of the napkin calculations how just how many votes are going to be lost to despair and resultant suicide before the big election. Your side should be very concerned. You should WANT to financially prop up your disappearing electorate.
You know nothing about me or "my side." You'd be surprised.

I agree some employers do not pay enough. How would UBI change that? If I can pay my lame $10/hour and with UBI it effectively becomes like $15/hour, why would I pay more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates