Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 04:53 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,615,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
What is your reason why you do or do not like UBI? If not, how do you fix unemployment?
Because nobody has the balls to implement it as it should be. Truly universal. And truly eliminating all other forms of well fare.

No country in history as yet to implement UBI in even a short 6 month or 12 month trial period.

The problem with UBI? If it's affordable it's not enough of a benefit to the citizens rendering it useless. But to make it a true stand alone benefit is way too costly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
For me, I dislike UBI because I feel that people should be self-sufficient.
Would you be for UBI if it completely eliminated food stamps, unemployment benefits and all other social programs?

That is how UBI is supposed to work. Truly universal. Everyone gets it. And they get UBI and nothing else. Better spend your benefit wisely.

But of course nobody has ever floated a true UBI.

And unfortunately even if one was implemented I do not trust our politicians to not give out more handouts on top of the UBI handouts when those who are unwise use up all of their benefit three weeks before the end of the month.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah, exactly! You shouldn't get money for nothing.
Many already do though. Food stamps, WIC, unemployment benefits, state and government paid medical etc.

Eliminating all of those and the bureaucracy and waste that goes along with them while only having one UBI payment that everyone receives makes sense to me.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
T
Plus, if you hand out $1,000 every month (or name your own amount) then everything would get more expensive, plus you would have the added expense of administering the system.
No it reduces expenses because it eliminates all other forms of well fare.

UBI is not the problem. The problem is with how our politicians think it should be implemented. As an add on.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Some will chose to be non-productive. There will also be many bright, productive people who will use UBI payments to enable them to go to a local college to learn a new trade or start a new gig business, things they couldn't do when trapped in a 40-hour week job.
Exactly.

Implemented correctly receiving only the UBI benefit is basically going to have you one step away from living on the street corner. Most will want a better life for themselves which means getting a job, even a low paying part time job.

The issue I do see though is inflation. Not overnight. But it will be steady and noticeable over the first few years of implementing UBI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
It was tried just within the last 2 years in Finland. It didn't work, not even close. $2000.- becomes the new zero, and then it all gets more expensive from there. Se how the Plymouth colony started out...
No it wasn't they tried a half-assed UBI just like every other trial.

No country that I know of has ever tried a true UBI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Where exactly have you seen UBI "work out"?
No where.

OP hasn't seen it work out because it's never been implement.

Last edited by Bill the Butcher; 05-11-2020 at 05:28 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
My understanding is with implemented UBI, the cash payments replace existing social welfare programs such as SS, Medicare, Medicaid, and many others. As a senior, I love my Medicare, and as such a nonstarter for me, besides it’s a flawed system that would never work in today's economy.
Likely correct.

The error made was in not starting with UBI to begin with. Now that we have SS, Medicare, Medicaid etc. it's too hard to cut those benefits and replace them with one. Can't put them back in the box basically.

In theory it would have worked rather than having hundreds social programs. But too late now.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
Lastly $1k/mo isn't going to make anyone quit their jobs, The straw-man argument of someone being 'able-bodied' is ridiculous; Its assuming that people will refuse to work.
This would be great if we could do. Eliminating all other programs and giving only $1K a month to everyone would make those that thought they could just sit find work pretty face. If not they'll find the street.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Uh, to answer OP question...

Because look at what the stimulus checks have done to the economy. This is what happens when you give free money away.

But I know basic arithmetic is hard for liberals, it's just spend spend spend.

I wasn't even against the checks, nobody really was. Just saying.

UBI would never work permanently. In America you have to work.
How did the stimulus checks effect the economy, tough to say. It has been spent in many ways. Some saved with it. Some gave it to charity if they could. Some paid bills or rent that they couldn't pay for with imaginary unemployment checks (due to many cases not at all processed.) Some used it for groceries because of the cost of items going up. Some used it for car or home fixes (similar to income tax returns.) Some had it garnished due to insufficient funds due to not getting paid. Some still haven't even gotten their money either due to paper checks or issues with having a temporary account (from say using H&R Block or TurboTax tax prep) or a transpose issue.

No I know what you will say, that's not what I mean. However, the stimulus checks is complicated and it has been used in various ways. Most people would agree that I covered almost every imaginable outcome of where stimulus checks went to. It wasn't really meant to help the economy. It was to help people to replace broken bootstraps while they had hardship. Not all did, that's true, but most who got the stimulus did suffer some type of hardship and will continue to during this crisis and the economic issues that will follow for years to come.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:00 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
No it reduces expenses because it eliminates all other forms of well fare.

UBI is not the problem. The problem is with how our politicians think it should be implemented. As an add on.

So how do you explain the failure for anyone else's politicians to make it work? Ever.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:49 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,938 times
Everyone is getting something for nothing! You are just not aware of it. You benefit far more from the work of all those who came before you than you will ever give back to the world. Do you thank the people who invented the zero so we could use math and science to make sense of our world? How about the person who invented the wheel? How about all those who came before you who worked out farming on an industrial scale so we are free from regular famines? How about the people who designed our roads and our vehicles so we can get around? How about all those who developed all the myriad varieties of antibiotics and other pharmaceuticals so we can expect to live into our 80’s? There are many, many others whose innovations we completely take for granted. None of us is self-sufficient and frankly most people’s jobs do not contribute that much to society. So great, you get a pay check. At the risk of redundancy, let me just say, that does not make you “self-sufficient.”

Since everyone is getting vast amounts of riches for essentially nothing (the luck of having been born in the right country in the right century) what do you care if someone else is given a measly $2000 per month or whatever is it just so they have some shred of dignity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates