Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 04:29 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

They don’t Covid test before you give blood, (They do screen for symptoms) but they do test your donated blood for antibodies. I presume they can use this to treat Covid patients somehow. I’m giving blood next month, and by then I will have had both vaccinations, so I will supposedly have immunity.

Interestingly, it’s been almost 2 weeks since my shot and for 4 days I’ve had an intestinal flu. I never get sick with colds or flu, especially now, when I hardly go anyplace.. it makes me wonder if there’s a connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 12:57 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Right, you don't know how the virus will affect you till you get it. It seems somewhat random w/ its effects. Even those w/ no co-morbidities do die from it.
I don’t understand why people are buy into this “could happened” speaking.

You could choke yourself and die if you eat. Do you stop eating?

You could get kill in a car accident. Do you stop driving or riding in a car?

The plane could crash and kill you. Do you stop flying?

Anything could happened to anyone at any time. After all, there are people hitting the lottery jackpot and most of not all just bought the ticket with random pick numbers.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:26 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post

Anything could happened to anyone at any time. After all, there are people hitting the lottery jackpot and most of not all just bought the ticket with random pick numbers.
You mitigate all of those risks:

Chew food well.

Choose a vehicle with safety features like air bags and seat belts. Follow traffic laws and look out for the other guy.

For flying you have to look at the risk, which is very small.

No, "anything" could not happen to anyone at any time. I will never get arrested for DUI because I do not drink and drive.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:57 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post

I was reading my grandchild some fifty year old readers that I had kept. What was really interesting were the drawings of a family going camping. Firstly, the kids were standing up in the back of the car, no seat belts in those days. Then they were leaning out of the car and waving. Then there was a bit about them coming across a snake and the father killing it. These days it is well known to avoid it, much safer for people and the snake.

I had to do lots of talking about how we do not ride in a car like that any more. I remember the annual road toll in our state being over 1,000 about fifty years ago. It was 352 last year with infinitely more people on the road. Nobody wants to go back to the days without seatbelts, drink driving laws etc.

The precautions we have been taking here to control the virus have resulted in a huge drop in other infections in the community. I am sure it is the same in other countries. People keep commenting on how good it is not to be getting sick. Like many others, I would not mind mandatory masks on public transport to be permanent to try to continue this effect.

The big worry now looks like being this South African variant. We have not even started the vaccination program here. It is still a couple of weeks away and starts with Pfizer. But then the AstraZenica , which has just been halted in South Africa.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:13 AM

4,208 posts, read 3,757,431 times
We just continue trying to play God. Soon we will be overpopulated, living in bubbles, lazy, scared, and brainwashed. I say let nature take its course and let people be people and decide how they want to live. If someone wants to risk Covid, let them. If someone doesnt want to wear a helmet or seatbelt, let them. The list goes on and on but we constantly try to make everyone safe because we dont like to deal with the possible unfortunate outcomes of certain situations. Thats life, just enjoy it and if you die enjoying it, so be it. I see posters joking about the absurdness of wearing a mask alone in a car, yet people of that sort reply with "mind your own business", yet they are the first ones to not mind their own business if they see someone without a mask. Society is unraveling, we have hit a downward spiral and its not pretty.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:41 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,758 times
^^^^

Pretty much. Once the entire elderly and at-risk population has had the opportunity to get the vaccine, I say full steam ahead.

Although, in my state, anyone considered obese is “at-risk”. So, it’ll be a while.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:59 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
We just continue trying to play God. Soon we will be overpopulated, living in bubbles, lazy, scared, and brainwashed. I say let nature take its course and let people be people and decide how they want to live. If someone wants to risk Covid, let them. If someone doesnt want to wear a helmet or seatbelt, let them. The list goes on and on but we constantly try to make everyone safe because we dont like to deal with the possible unfortunate outcomes of certain situations. Thats life, just enjoy it and if you die enjoying it, so be it. I see posters joking about the absurdness of wearing a mask alone in a car, yet people of that sort reply with "mind your own business", yet they are the first ones to not mind their own business if they see someone without a mask. Society is unraveling, we have hit a downward spiral and its not pretty.
People wearing a mask alone in a car aren't risking anyone else's life (unless their glasses fog up to the point they can't see where they are driving), but people not wearing the mask in public are risking others. They are not the same thing.

Old 02-13-2021, 10:38 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times
The link is to an excerpt from a WaPo opinion piece on some ways to get more people vaccinated sooner. Delayed 2nd jab, 1/2 or 1/4 doses etc.

It's from the Marginal Revolution blog at the (Libertarian) Mercatus Center at GMU. The author, Tabarrock, has been pushing this idea on the blog for months.

I'm not a Libertarian, just interested in ideas. If you don't have WaPo access, there's a link to an ungated version in Newsday around the third comment on the piece. You might also want to take a look at the MR homepage. The daily "assorted links" email often throws up some interesting stuff. M.R. is regularly listed among the top 100 blogs.

https://marginalrevolution.com/margi...ate-v-day.html

Old 02-13-2021, 11:26 AM

2,786 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Like many others, I would not mind mandatory masks on public transport to be permanent to try to continue this effect.
I doubt that many people really feel that way, but if they do, then there should be separate mask and no-mask sections after the pandemic subsides. Expecting everyone to stay eternally masked on public transport is both unreasonable and unenforceable.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:03 PM

433 posts, read 532,451 times
Mustangman66 writes---" If someone doesnt want to wear a helmet or seatbelt, let them. The list goes on and on but we constantly try to make everyone safe because we dont like to deal with the possible unfortunate outcomes of certain situations."

Basically, I agree with this part of your post, BUT, I was a member of a volunteer fire department for many years and I can't begin to guess the number of calls where we busted our chops responding to a car accident only to find the driver wearing a "crystal necklace" (head went through the windshield because (s)he wasn't wearing seatbelts) or a biker wasn't wearing a brain bucket. Now that's cool--they've got their rights, but, I think they should have to file a "do not respond" form if they don't want to wear seatbelts, or wear a helmet. Then, I don't have to risk life and limb going to the accident. In the seatbelt case, where we were able to get them out alive and transported to the hospital, they were given care, often at taxpayer expense, until they passed. Fortunately, the non-helmet wearing folks were usually dead when we arrived.

Rant off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates