Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2021, 09:51 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Sure 400,000 is a lot but relative to the total population it's not. More people died from heart disease in one year 600k+ in 2019
Currently on a daily basis more people are dying from COVID-19 than heart disease.

There are no other infectious diseases that have done that, including flu in a bad season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 04:21 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You are ignoring the impact of large numbers. One percent of the American population is a huge number.
This is a matter of opinion and mine is that 400,000 by itself is a large number, but compared to 331 million its quite miniscule.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:16 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
This is a matter of opinion and mine is that 400,000 by itself is a large number, but compared to 331 million its quite miniscule.
If you were one of the 430,000 that died I don't think you would think that is a small number.

I just saw a feature on a tv news program where the widows of four men who died in 30's and 40's of coronavirus spoke. Just the grief and heartache that those four families are experiencing is overwhelming.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:26 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Dh and I have had shot #1. No side effects so far. Enough people in our age group (65+) have had it with no adverse effects, that I’m not at all worried. Whatever we’ve been doing since March has worked, so we will continue doing those things in addition to the vaccinations.

Our habits are changing slightly. We feel fine going to restaurants and doing non essential shopping now.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:57 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,871,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
If you were one of the 430,000 that died I don't think you would think that is a small number.

I just saw a feature on a tv news program where the widows of four men who died in 30's and 40's of coronavirus spoke. Just the grief and heartache that those four families are experiencing is overwhelming.
Yes, another thing to consider is the effect this virus is having on families. Whereas in any particular family you might see a single individual dying of heart disease, COVID infection has killed married couples within days of each other. It spreads to other members of the same family, as well. This is the threat that we're dealing with.

Those who haven't had any personal experience with COVID thus far should count themselves fortunate, rather than be dismissive of those who have been exposed to the virus or who have had a family member exposed to the virus.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:43 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You face liability suits if you infect anyone who is medically unable to get vaccinated.

Unlike intentional HIV transmission, there is simply no means to prove whom has infected any plaintiff beyond a reasonable doubt.
Particularly months after said plaintiff has passed away, or become infected; which of course is the length of time it takes for courts to hear civil cases.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:06 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Back to the thread topic. I got covid from a family member who went to a xmas party. Went to the ER at one point because I was having trouble breathing. Recovered quickly after given oxygen. So for myself I figure I have immunity for now from the original covid. No point in getting vaccinated until they have a vaccine for the South African strain or whatever comes after that. Previously I felt that if I did get covid I would at least be protected from getting it again for a while. Now with these new strains I feel no assurances about any of this. And since they are apparently more deadly its a big concern.

Old 01-30-2021, 08:12 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Sure 400,000 is a lot but relative to the total population it's not. More people died from heart disease in one year 600k+ in 2019

The current daily deaths equate to over a million deaths in 12 months at 3,000 deaths a day. I believe we are closer to 4,000 deaths a day right now. With the new strains spreading who knows what will happen this year. We are having trouble vaccinating people with the first vaccine. Now we will have to go back and give boosters to everyone to protect from the South African strain and perhaps again over and over if new strains come out. It seems impossible to keep up with this virus as its mutating much faster than we can vaccinate.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:28 AM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Yes, another thing to consider is the effect this virus is having on families. Whereas in any particular family you might see a single individual dying of heart disease, COVID infection has killed married couples within days of each other. It spreads to other members of the same family, as well. This is the threat that we're dealing with.

Those who haven't had any personal experience with COVID thus far should count themselves fortunate, rather than be dismissive of those who have been exposed to the virus or who have had a family member exposed to the virus.
In my family 6 members were exposed to family member who HAD the virus, but all of us never caught it. You want to count us as fortunate too, or only those who don't know anyone with the virus?

My husband tested Positive (twice). Asymptomatic. He is 72, previous heart attack (Code Blue 4 times), congestive heart failure (5 stents and pacemaker), hypothyroidism (BMI 38), and 2nd stage Parkinson's. I am same age, no pre existing conditions, but an outside smoker for 50 years. Tested Negative. We did not wear masks at home nor social distance.

Our 4 year old Grandson also tested Positive from someone at his Special Ed school with virus. Also asymptomatic. His divorced parents with joint custody tested Negative, as did his older brother, and grandparents who he lives with part time with his Dad. His Grandpa is 70, also has a heart condition with 2 stents. Certainly, it would be impossible to isolate from your own very young child who is also special needs. Same for his 6 year old brother who sleeps in the same bedrooms (occasionally same bed) he does. Very young siblings don't share toys and rough house on the floor on top of each other????

Are we just "lucky" or is there something else going on that science does not care to investigate or tell the general public?

Old 01-30-2021, 10:14 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,871,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
In my family 6 members were exposed to family member who HAD the virus, but all of us never caught it. You want to count us as fortunate too, or only those who don't know anyone with the virus?

My husband tested Positive (twice). Asymptomatic. He is 72, previous heart attack (Code Blue 4 times), congestive heart failure (5 stents and pacemaker), hypothyroidism (BMI 38), and 2nd stage Parkinson's. I am same age, no pre existing conditions, but an outside smoker for 50 years. Tested Negative. We did not wear masks at home nor social distance.

Our 4 year old Grandson also tested Positive from someone at his Special Ed school with virus. Also asymptomatic. His divorced parents with joint custody tested Negative, as did his older brother, and grandparents who he lives with part time with his Dad. His Grandpa is 70, also has a heart condition with 2 stents. Certainly, it would be impossible to isolate from your own very young child who is also special needs. Same for his 6 year old brother who sleeps in the same bedrooms (occasionally same bed) he does. Very young siblings don't share toys and rough house on the floor on top of each other????

Are we just "lucky" or is there something else going on that science does not care to investigate or tell the general public?

Since I don't know your family, I have no way of verifying your anecdotal evidence. If you wish to make a case that the virus doesn't spread through families, you will need to come up with another example -- one that can be verified by those participating in this debate. That is the least that is expected in a debate forum.

If you require any corroborated news articles regarding married couples who have died within days of each other from the virus (as I stated previously), here you go: https://www.google.com/search?client...ied+from+covid

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 01-30-2021 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates