Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 07:35 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Its FDA and CDC approved. All necessary steps required by the law were completed to approve both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Stop saying that it isn't.

The vaccines are approved with EUA (emergency use authorization). If problems develop during the vaccination process, t can be stopped or slowed down. However, it is legally approved with all necessary steps completed.

Its interesting to me that 20 million vaccines have been given as of today in this country and we are not hearing about widespread problems. Won't keep some people from claiming otherwise though. There is a lot of fear mongering in this country these days.

Actually, interestingly enough, I READ that document yesterday. About issuing EUA for vaccines. From FDA. Not from some blogger interpretation.
At each page top, it clearly says, advisory only.
Somewhere in the first paragraphs, it is black on white, vaccine is "experimental" hence, we are all free volunteers for trial on humans.
Next, it says that the above mentioned trials will be run for the next few years (2023 in Pfizer case) until manufacturer may prove final vaccine safety and apply for license.
So here you are. Again, go read FDA disclosure on EUA for vaccines. It is easy Google. You have experimental drug (otherwise, anything experimental is denied by insurances, and I am health care practitioner, I know what I am talking about), released for unlicensed application to millions of volunteers, them, technically, being human subjects in several years of trials, so that manufacturer may collect enough data to license its production.
No need to quote ME. Go to Pfizer site. Go to FDA site and search for EUA document and see for yourself.
Ask them. But PLEASE, do not go to blogs, opinions and hearsay places. Just got the source itself.

PS. And, if you add all the years - 2020 release, then trials into 2023 - it does add up to about normal vaccine development time of 4-5 years. Nothing really special or breaking through or warping here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 07:38 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
They predict herd immunity by June 2022
That would be almost the same length of time as the Spanish flu some 100 years ago, meaning we have made little progress in our battle against communicable diseases.
Who is they?.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:39 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Actually, interestingly enough, I READ that document yesterday. About issuing EUA for vaccines. From FDA. Not from some blogger interpretation.
At each page top, it clearly says, advisory only.
Somewhere in the first paragraphs, it is black on white, vaccine is "experimental" hence, we are all free volunteers for trial on humans.
Next, it says that the above mentioned trials will be run for the next few years (2023 in Pfizer case) until manufacturer may prove final vaccine safety and apply for license.
So here you are. Again, go read FDA disclosure on EUA for vaccines. It is easy Google. You have experimental drug (otherwise, anything experimental is denied by insurances, and I am health care practitioner, I know what I am talking about), released for unlicensed application to millions of volunteers, them, technically, being human subjects in several years of trials, so that manufacturer may collect enough data to license its production.
No need to quote ME. Go to Pfizer site. Go to FDA site and search for EUA document and see for yourself.
Ask them. But PLEASE, do not go to blogs, opinions and hearsay places. Just got the source itself.

PS. And, if you add all the years - 2020 release, then trials into 2023 - it does add up to about normal vaccine development time of 4-5 years. Nothing really special or breaking through or warping here.
People like you just amaze me. You seem determined to take some kind of a stand against this vaccine even though its the only thing standing between the human race and hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Let's just take what Pfizer did ok? Three stages of clinical trials. During the third stage 42,000 people were enrolled. Out of the group that took two doses of the vaccine 95% avoided getting sick. The five percent that did get sick with Covid all had mild cases. Not one required hospitalization.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...vid-19-vaccine

You think a vaccine like that might be useful in a country that has lost 420,000 people in a year due to coronavirus?

Now, according to Bloomberg's Vaccine Tracking website over 22,000,000 doses of vaccine have been administered in this country. If significant numbers of people were having serious side effects than guess what? You'd know that by now.

I understand about risk. What I don't understand are people who seem unable to balance a slight risk (taking the vaccine) against a really serious risk of suffering death or permanent medical issues because they caught the coronavirus.

I've had the vaccine (first shot) and it was probably easier on me than a flu shot is. At least my arm was less sore.

I wish you people who are so worried about this vaccine would take a look at yourselves. Has it occurred to you that all your "naysaying" may keep people who might avoid this disease and all the risks that go with it from taking the vaccine? How do you feel about the idea that this could actually cost some people their lives? Words have consequences.

Think about your actions a little bit harder.

But back to your point about "rushing things" I don't regard it as rushing anything when a vaccine successfully completes three stages of clinical trials and than wins approval from FDA and CDC. The barriers in place protect the American public and require the balancing of risk vs. benefit. It is clear that the benefits of a vaccine that is 95% efficacious outweigh the risks of some arms and a handful of more serious allergic reactions. The vaccines may be approved under "EUA", but the approval meets all legal requirements.

Stop saying this was rushed.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I wish you people who are so worried about this vaccine would take a look at yourselves. Has it occurred to you that all your "naysaying" may keep people who might avoid this disease and all the risks that go with it from taking the vaccine? How do you feel about the idea that this could actually cost some people their lives? Words have consequences.

Think about your actions a little bit harder.

But back to your point about "rushing things" I don't regard it as rushing anything when a vaccine successfully completes three stages of clinical trials and than wins approval from FDA and CDC. The barriers in place protect the American public and require the balancing of risk vs. benefit. It is clear that the benefits of a vaccine that is 95% efficacious outweigh the risks of some arms and a handful of more serious allergic reactions. The vaccines may be approved under "EUA", but the approval meets all legal requirements.

Stop saying this was rushed.

It was rushed, vaccines normally require many more years of testing; and nobody knows if there are any long term effects for this reason.
I haven't taken a vaccine in 30 years, and this was for typhoid prior to visiting the jungle.
You seem to be asking me to get the jab as part of my community service obligation, when driving our cars less would save millions of cancer deaths stemming from ambient air pollution; according to the:
https://www.who.int/airpollution/data/en/

Old 01-25-2021, 10:07 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
It was rushed, vaccines normally require many more years of testing; and nobody knows if there are any long term effects for this reason.
I haven't taken a vaccine in 30 years, and this was for typhoid prior to visiting the jungle.
You seem to be asking me to get the jab as part of my community service obligation, when driving our cars less would save millions of cancer deaths stemming from ambient air pollution; according to the:
https://www.who.int/airpollution/data/en/
The fact you haven't taken a vaccine in thirty years says a lot to me about how you feel about vaccines.

I'm saying you "take the jab" for both yourself and those around you. You and the people you live around, work around, and associate with will circulate this disease to yet others.

You say this was "rushed" and that "vaccines normally require many more years of testing". Not so, what vaccines require is adequate safety data from three stage clinical trials that is carefully reviewed by both the FDA and CDC. All that took place. A decision whether or not to approve a vaccine is than based on a calculation of whether benefits outweigh risks. A vaccine with a 95% efficacy rate designed to target a potentially fatal disease with much long term morbidity easily passes that test when nothing can be identified out of a 42,000 person control group other than sore arms and a few serious (non-fatal) allergic reactions. The approval process met legal requirements and therefore was not rushed.

What has you up in arms though? No one is making you take this vaccine. It is a choice. Its just the rest of us that want it.

Driving your car less might spare others from air pollution, but it isn't nearly on the same scale of a disease that has killed 420,000 people in slightly less than a year. Additionally, substantial benefits are obtained because of the utility of using a motor vehicle. I don't see the benefits of refusing to vaccinate for covid.

What do I see are a whole lot of people in America who border on outright paranoia when they are asked to do anything no matter how well documented its safety is. Its really become quite pathetic. I never thought as a child that I would reach a point where I was actually ashamed of a large percentage of people in this country.

Last edited by markg91359; 01-25-2021 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-25-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
What has you up in arms though? No one is making you take this vaccine.
Am smiling at what I'm guessing was unintentional humor.
What would I have bothered getting vaccinated for prior to Covid, measles or SARS 20 years ago?.
Nonetheless, I'll most likely take the vaccine; if only to end this mess and not see heartbreaking stories of lost loved ones on the evening news anymore.
It's our younger generation who is refusing, my friends in their 20's; whose parents are my age.
This was the anti-vaccine generation, along with a few county health dep't nurses refusal to administer in Kansas recently making the news.
For myself, and my 76 y/o mother; being vaccinated is a one shot deal...pardon the pun.
Hell she's never even had a flu shot until this year, and stated she's only taking the jab as a community service; she never gets sick.
I truly believe we as a herd species need at least some natural and acquired immunity, or we shall be as defenseless as our native American population was circa 1700.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:27 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times
Wife is high risk, due to impaired immune system and over age 70. She has RA and does Rituxan infusions to contain joint swelling and pain. RA's advised that her dose of Rituxan, which lasts one year and is given in two 5 hour infusions two weeks apart, renders the two vax ineffective. So she will continue to isolate at home as she has since Feb 2020. We hope another vax comes along that does not act on the B cells to render the vax ineffective before the 6 month wait.

I am low risk other than being over 70 but waiting to get the vax at a near by hospital. Wife will get hers in a medical facility when it is recommended. She has a reaction to an allergy test a few decades ago so we want to be near where they can handle the rare reactions.

My mom age 97 and i good health had her first vax and no problems nor side effects from it.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:33 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Am smiling at what I'm guessing was unintentional humor.
What would I have bothered getting vaccinated for prior to Covid, measles or SARS 20 years ago?.
Nonetheless, I'll most likely take the vaccine; if only to end this mess and not see heartbreaking stories of lost loved ones on the evening news anymore.
It's our younger generation who is refusing, my friends in their 20's; whose parents are my age.
This was the anti-vaccine generation, along with a few county health dep't nurses refusal to administer in Kansas recently making the news.
For myself, and my 76 y/o mother; being vaccinated is a one shot deal...pardon the pun.
Hell she's never even had a flu shot until this year, and stated she's only taking the jab as a community service; she never gets sick.
I truly believe we as a herd species need at least some natural and acquired immunity, or we shall be as defenseless as our native American population was circa 1700.
In my opinion, the mess of heartbreaking stories on the evening news is unfortunately a tactic geared to sway viewers opinions in a certain direction. Sure, they are sad stories, but these stories are far and few and why I have decided to stop watching the nightly news. I know if I died due to Covid that I would not want my story to be on tv and used in that manner. If I die, I die, thats life, and it should not have an effect on anyone except for family and friends. Life will still go on for the rest of the world.

I am not the younger generation and have no issue with the vaccine itself but dont view COvid as a risk and therefore will not be taking it. I feel that once everyone who wants it, gets it, society should move on.

I do have to say that part of my viewpoint stems from the fact that we are overpopulated and we should let mother earth do her own method of population control without interference. As morbid as that sounds, I love life, have a lot to live for dont wish death on anyone.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:27 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
In my opinion, the mess of heartbreaking stories on the evening news is unfortunately a tactic geared to sway viewers opinions in a certain direction. Sure, they are sad stories, but these stories are far and few and why I have decided to stop watching the nightly news. I know if I died due to Covid that I would not want my story to be on tv and used in that manner. If I die, I die, thats life, and it should not have an effect on anyone except for family and friends. Life will still go on for the rest of the world.

I am not the younger generation and have no issue with the vaccine itself but dont view COvid as a risk and therefore will not be taking it. I feel that once everyone who wants it, gets it, society should move on.

I do have to say that part of my viewpoint stems from the fact that we are overpopulated and we should let mother earth do her own method of population control without interference. As morbid as that sounds, I love life, have a lot to live for dont wish death on anyone.

4,101 people died of COVID-19 yesterday. Why would someone like you rate a news story? Your family would have to pay money to a newspaper to run an obituary and it wouldn't likely say COVID-19. It might say "died unexpectedly" which was code for drug overdose until the last year. Now, it's 50/50.

We want the news to have COVID-19 stories daily to promote proper public health behavior. Wear your stinkin' mask. Stay 6 feet from people. Sturgis == bad. Do your civic duty and get vaccinated when it's your turn so we get to herd immunity.

Personally, I think there should be a big cost to someone who takes this "....and therefore I will not be taking it" stance. Your health insurance won't cover you for COVID-19. You face liability suits if you infect anyone who is medically unable to get vaccinated. Your employer can fire you. You're barred from any public transportation. You absolutely won't be able to cross national borders. This is a national public health issue and the economy won't get back to normal until we achieve herd immunity.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:29 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
4,101 people died of COVID-19 yesterday. Why would someone like you rate a news story? Your family would have to pay money to a newspaper to run an obituary and it wouldn't likely say COVID-19. It might say "died unexpectedly" which was code for drug overdose until the last year. Now, it's 50/50.

We want the news to have COVID-19 stories daily to promote proper public health behavior. Wear your stinkin' mask. Stay 6 feet from people. Sturgis == bad. Do your civic duty and get vaccinated when it's your turn so we get to herd immunity.

Personally, I think there should be a big cost to someone who takes this "....and therefore I will not be taking it" stance. Your health insurance won't cover you for COVID-19. You face liability suits if you infect anyone who is medically unable to get vaccinated. Your employer can fire you. You're barred from any public transportation. You absolutely won't be able to cross national borders. This is a national public health issue and the economy won't get back to normal until we achieve herd immunity.
Heartbreaking Covid stories daily? You want to embellish a small percentage to sway viewers into thinking a certain way? What if I reported all of the heartbreaking stories of those that had a bad reaction to the vaccine? Its a small percentage but so is dying from Covid. Again, I just find it comical about those up in arms over the miniscule chance of death or adverse effects from Covid but ignore the potential risks of the vaccine without thought. Just like masks apparently make everyone super hero's.

Your opinion is based off of what the media is telling you. Yes people are dying, but its less than 1% of our population. If I was concerned about those odds, I may start playing the lottery too. I have no issue with those that feel strongly about Covid because I know some people should be concerned but I just disagree with the "only my opinion matters and all others are wrong" mentality.

Once again though, I dont think rational decisions should be based off of emotion and ultimately feel that we are overpopulated so I am probably the wrong person to even have a conversation with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates