Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 04:27 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

I’m getting my second shot next week. I will continue to wear a mask inside businesses, when required. Basically, I’m in a kill me, or don’t kill me mode after that. I’m intending to live a normal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 08:04 AM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I doubt that many people really feel that way, but if they do, then there should be separate mask and no-mask sections after the pandemic subsides. Expecting everyone to stay eternally masked on public transport is both unreasonable and unenforceable.

And there's another problem, mask wearing is reducing our acquired immunity to the hundreds of other cold and flu strains.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03519-3

Old 02-14-2021, 08:47 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
And there's another problem, mask wearing is reducing our acquired immunity to the hundreds of other cold and flu strains.
Interesting article, but I didn't see where they talked about a "problem".

Regarding flu, it's mentioned that some strains may die out as a result of masking.

Colds?

"..There is one major exception to the downward viral trend. “The one virus that’s not being halted is the rhinovirus,” says Janet Englund, a paediatric infectious disease researcher at Seattle Children’s Hospital in Washington. Rhinoviruses are the major cause of the common cold, especially in children. More than a hundred strains exist, and about a dozen typically circulate in any given community. In one study in Southampton, UK, rhinovirus detection in adults admitted to hospital remained lower over the summer of 2020 than in summer 2019, but shot up as usual once schools reopened in September4. Data from NSW likewise show an apparent surge in rhinoviruses over the southern winter.."

I just had a first vaccine two days ago and subscribe to gentlearts' approach.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:04 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Quackery. It does not.

See Number 9 in this article.

https://www.henryford.com/blog/2020/...d19-mask-myths

Old 02-14-2021, 09:47 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I doubt that many people really feel that way, but if they do, then there should be separate mask and no-mask sections after the pandemic subsides. Expecting everyone to stay eternally masked on public transport is both unreasonable and unenforceable.
You are probably correct. But in Sydney we are very used to seeing our Asian Australian population wearing masks and many people think it is a good idea in flu season.

But some of our trains have quiet carriages. So we would need quiet masked carriages, quiet unmasked, noisy masked and noisy unmasked. We could put the school kids into noisy unmasked and I will hide in the quiet masked! All too difficult to administer.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:17 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,873,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Quackery. It does not.

Thanks for that link, with the quote below:

9. Wearing a mask won’t weaken your immune system. “Another rumor I’ve heard is that wearing a mask will prevent your body from building immunity to colds or viruses, and that is absolutely not true,” says Dr. Burgess. “Wearing a mask will not affect your immune system in the least. Your body will continue to work as it's meant to.”

Dr. Jennifer Burgess in the quote above is a board-certified physician. I think that I'm more inclined to take the advice of Dr. Burgess than the advice of Nicola Jones, a freelance writer for Nature.com.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:50 AM

2,786 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
You are probably correct. But in Sydney we are very used to seeing our Asian Australian population wearing masks and many people think it is a good idea in flu season.
I can't address the situation in Sydney, but I can say more broadly that the prevalence of mask wearing in east Asian cities is often greatly exaggerated by those who seek to normalize mask wearing in other parts of the world. Based on my observations of east Asian immigrants in the U.S., my own travels in Asia, and my viewing of videos of subways in major cities in Asia, I'd say that pre-pandemic, it was not uncommon to see a handful of people on a train wearing masks, but it was never anywhere near universal. Moreover, it was often attributable more to air pollution than infectious disease. If some people choose to voluntarily wear masks on public transport once the pandemic ends, that's certainly their choice to make, but I can't imagine any government that imposes a perpetual requirement surviving the next election.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:14 AM

4,944 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Quackery. It does not.

3 states have already dropped the muzzle mandate, as the wrangling continues in the field of medical science.

"But there has been much debate among scientists over the effectiveness of face masks on reducing the spread of COVID-19."
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/re...d-cases-166624

For every article you find, I can dig up a counter claim; we could do this all day.
Or, we can wait about a year for the comprehensive studies and testing to provide us with more accurate data.
What we do have plenty of data on is our Native American friends, who of course; were almost wiped out due to lacking herd immunity some 300 years ago.

You preach vaccines and avoidance of a virus, while I still assume the position we need some exposure.
Only time will validate either.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:43 AM

4,208 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Providing sources is like beating a dead horse. There is always more than one viewpoint and usually all have sources to back them up. It comes down to which interpretation you feel as an individual fits most in line with your beliefs. It boils down to agree to disagree.

Only the eventual outcome will yield the correct method in which should have been taken. Everything up to that point is theory and open to interpretation in my opinion.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:45 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Providing sources is like beating a dead horse. There is always more than one viewpoint and usually all have sources to back them up. It comes down to which interpretation you feel as an individual fits most in line with your beliefs. It boils down to agree to disagree.

Only the eventual outcome will yield the correct method in which should have been taken. Everything up to that point is theory and open to interpretation in my opinion.
Except that some sources are better than others. To not acknowledge that a board certified physician is a better source than a freelance writer shows no ability to analyze. Sunbiz also resorts to hyperbole using words like "muzzle" to refer to masks.

What that type of language tells me is that he already made up his mind about masks before he looked up his article in "Nature". He doesn't want a wear a mask. Fine, than he should stay home and avoid all public places until the pandemic is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates