Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 11:50 AM

8,120 posts, read 7,499,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
violence against women has no class barriers. one of our past multi millionaire president has admitted to so much.
Again, I agree. The Harvey Weinstein, Jeffery Epstein, and Bill Cosby episodes prove yet again that wealthy men can often take advantage of their position and power. Forgive me if I seem biased toward the female victim living in Section 8 housing in America or the favelas of the world.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:01 PM

4,121 posts, read 1,890,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Again, I agree. The Harvey Weinstein, Jeffery Epstein, and Bill Cosby episodes prove yet again that wealthy men can often take advantage of their position and power. Forgive me if I seem biased toward the female victim living in Section 8 housing in America or the favelas of the world.
I don't see the correlation here. Are you suggesting that men of wealth and power do not take advantage of the poor and instead target wealthy women? Were you not aware that many of Jeffrey Epstein's underage female victims were lured from their impoverished homes with promises that their parents would be cared for? Not all of them came from the United States, either, when they were taken to Epstein's residence on his private island. Poor, desperate women and girls have historically been sought and victimized on a large scale by the wealthy, simply because they are desperate and have little recourse to justice.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:32 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,796,571 times
Quote:
Agreed. The slobs in ghettoes and trailer parks who beat and oppress women take their cues mostly from pop culture, which emanates ultimately from Wall Street board rooms and from Hollywood producers.
Slobs, imbeciles, and terrorists derived from those believed to encompass class- as well members from impoverished situations aforementioned by one cb2008.

We're also reducing the plight of some women to men and men only. Women leave a great deal on the table including eachother. At times equally terrorising their community.

I can't recall hearing much from the feminist community after Sandra Bland died in the custody of men, nor assault committed by women upon other women, and finally misogynist acts committed by lesbian.

Yes there's a problem and every category of people endure them..But..claims of men with vagina envy, undercover gayness (men) appears to be a stretch and nonsensical.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:52 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,871,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Slobs, imbeciles, and terrorists derived from those believed to encompass class- as well members from impoverished situations aforementioned by one cb2008.

We're also reducing the plight of some women to men and men only. Women leave a great deal on the table including eachother. At times equally terrorising their community.

I can't recall hearing much from the feminist community after Sandra Bland died in the custody of men, nor assault committed by women upon other women, and finally misogynist acts committed by lesbian.

Yes there's a problem and every category of people endure them..But..claims of men with vagina envy, undercover gayness (men) appears to be a stretch and nonsensical.
I think you are saying that those bad characters come from all classes? I always found it interesting how Osama Bin Laden came from one of the richest families in Saudi Arabia, married a western schoolteacher (one of the four he was allowed to keep at once), himself studied briefly in Oxford. He could have been billionaire playboy instead of a radical

Old 07-29-2021, 02:30 PM

8,120 posts, read 7,499,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I don't see the correlation here. Are you suggesting that men of wealth and power do not take advantage of the poor and instead target wealthy women? Were you not aware that many of Jeffrey Epstein's underage female victims were lured from their impoverished homes with promises that their parents would be cared for? Not all of them came from the United States, either, when they were taken to Epstein's residence on his private island. Poor, desperate women and girls have historically been sought and victimized on a large scale by the wealthy, simply because they are desperate and have little recourse to justice.
I was agreeing with the OP's statement "violence against women has no class barriers" after I had stated that women in ghettoes and trailer parks are victimized quite a lot (which they are).

BTW when you have to ask "are you suggesting" it means you know that I'm not.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I was agreeing with the OP's statement "violence against women has no class barriers" after I had stated that women in ghettoes and trailer parks are victimized quite a lot (which they are).

BTW when you have to ask "are you suggesting" it means you know that I'm not.
Apologies if I misunderstood you. I assure you that I don't post in any sort of code, and I genuinely thought that you were referring to "the slobs in ghettoes and trailer parks who beat and oppress women" (your words) as being the reason why you are "biased toward the female victim living in Section 8 housing in America or the favelas of the world." I merely pointed out that the wealthy people you mentioned are just as likely (if not more so) to abuse those women living in Section 8 housing or the favelas of the world, as they are likely to abuse women living within their own social sphere of Wall Street and Hollywood. Women within the same social sphere of these men may seem to be more accessible, but the wealthy have always and easily found profitable ways to prey upon the poor.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:11 AM

9,552 posts, read 4,379,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Every religion, and every society, in all times have demonstrated hatred of women in vile to subtle ways. Yet women are one half of the human race, and importantly the only means of propagating the species as possessors of a uterus.
Racism, and caste, as evil as it is, is ultimately, in truth, a convenient construct as a means of exploitation. Female sex is not a construct. Women have always worked as hard as men, even through pregnancy and the bearing of children, the future farm hands. What was the natural benefit in the hate and oppression? What was the payoff of hating the producer of future workers?

A few things I can think of that spurs this hatred:
Vagina/uterus envy.
They are property that can be stolen, can elope, and thus a liability.
They can seduce one to lose his senses.
[cut]
We hate that which we fear. What is the cause of fear?
What do you think?

You're overthinking this. It's really simple: Women are physically weaker. Prior to the industrial revolution, sheer strength and the ability to work hard for long hours was a much more valuable commodity than it is today. Like wise, before the invention of weapons - particularly firearms - the ability to fight was a valuable commodity. Machinery and automation have leveled the playing field, but undoing centuries of a prevalent mindset doesn't happen overnight.

[cut]

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 08-16-2021 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Please read Great Debates rules before posting again in this forum. Thank you.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:23 AM

16,086 posts, read 7,097,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You're overthinking this. It's really simple: Women are physically weaker. Prior to the industrial revolution, sheer strength and the ability to work hard for long hours was a much more valuable commodity than it is today. Like wise, before the invention of weapons - particularly firearms - the ability to fight was a valuable commodity. Machinery and automation have leveled the playing field, but undoing centuries of a prevalent mindset doesn't happen overnight.

[cut]

Through out history women have in fact shown great strength and stamina be it hard manual labor on the farms and factories, or the integrity to hold a family/tribe/community together, rear and teach, make a home, nurture, heal, struggle for better wages and equal rights and win.
It is not their weakness, as there is none, it is their strength that misogynists fear. What you fear you hate and want to destroy, dehumanize, find any reason to justify it.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:29 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,893,824 times
Another reason is politics. More men than women are conservative, and more women than men are liberal. Fair enough. But because the respective political beliefs are at odds with each other, it causes feelings of animosity. Which translates into dislike toward the opposite gender. However, misogyny is looked down upon almost universally, while misandry is practically celebrated.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Another reason is politics. More men than women are conservative, and more women than men are liberal. Fair enough. But because the respective political beliefs are at odds with each other, it causes feelings of animosity. Which translates into dislike toward the opposite gender. However, misogyny is looked down upon almost universally, while misandry is practically celebrated.
There is truth in that. I remember some years ago when a popular women's talk show was discussing a recent news item about a woman who sliced off her husband's penis and put it in the kitchen sink's garbage disposal. One of the women on the show (I won't name her but she's a well-known celebrity wife of a rock star) simply couldn't contain her laughter. The other women on the talk panel merely smiled tolerantly and rolled their eyes, or covered their mouths to hide their smirks. I thought it was disgusting, and my first thought was: "How would these women react to a story about a man mutilating his wife's private parts?"

Well, we know how they would react -- with horror, as it happens more frequently to women than to men and is often a serious topic of discussion on talk shows and in the news. But simply because it doesn't happen as frequently to men, does this justify anyone's amusement? Does this justify the abuse of one man because some women believe that other men deserve this kind of punishment? I say "absolutely not!" And I have to admit that I felt that the giggling women on that talk show were absolutely vile and an embarrassment to those of us who oppose such violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates