Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2021, 03:23 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
That's fine for those who consensually roll that way. There's a real problem, though, with people who feel a sense of entitlement in placing their hands on others. Wealth and fame are a couple of those things that lead some people to a personal validation of that sense of entitlement.

I believe that Sonic Spork was referring to those men who possess and act upon their sense of entitlement. In fact, she did state: "SOME women will go for that, but MOST of us care more about a man's other qualities, and want to be seen as a person and not a product, commodity or perk of someone's lifestyle." I think that if you were to ask the majority of women posting on this forum, you would find that we are in agreement with Sonic about SOME women vs MOST women.

One can easily name a lot of rich, famous, and powerful men (Donald Trump, Bill O'Reilly, Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, Andrew Cuomo, just to name a few) who have been accused and/or found guilty of exercising this sense of entitlement. And (before you bring it up), yes, there are no doubt women who also feel that their wealth and fame entitles them to make unwanted sexual advances on others.

However, I don't know of any woman in our society who would get elected President after gleefully stating that her wealth and fame allows her to grab hold of the genitalia of men. Certainly, no woman making such a pronouncement would gain the electoral support of (purportedly) conservative voters. I think that this is indicative of what men can (and do) get away with in our society, and just how acceptable this kind of thinking is when it comes to men.
That would almost certainly depend on which side of politics said female comes from. A conservative is going to vote conservative, no matter what, and I highly doubt most conservatives would care at all, if their female conservative candidate made some "Locker Room Joke" about grabbing a bloke in the balls, a decade before she ran for president.

You might have some super religions conservatives over their, who may take offence of a female making such a comment, but who else are these super religious conservatives going to vote for?

If however said female comes from the left, they would attack her automatically, with justification that this is what they did to Donald Trump, therefore we are treating said female candidate equally.

Its a vicious cycle which has been started, and it will keep on going until such a time both sides of politics are happy to attack based on policy alone.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-16-2021 at 03:50 AM..

Old 08-16-2021, 06:10 AM

15,976 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You're being blinded by your personal politics. Some women DO swoon and throw themselves at rich, famous, hot guys. Always have and always will, which is why a lot of this will never end. Human nature always gets in the way of perfection.
Everyone, men and women, can make bad choices, that is the point. But nobody can choose to abuse another gender with impunity.
Choosing to date hot guys by itself does not mean anything other than that she likes hot rich guys. That does not mean she is choosing to get beaten up or abused. Women have the same right to make bad choices, although all hot rich guys are not necessarily monsters.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Not only that, but a lot of girls dig the “bad boy” types. That is, until something bad happens to them. That’s because these guys are usually more assertive.
Everyone has a right to make choices. Nobody has the right to violence and abuse.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I agree with the vast majority of what sonic says, she seems like a voice of reason in a world where its hard to find.

However I would agree totally with you here, in my mind their is no doubt Donald Trump would have had no shortage of women who were very keen to grab him between the legs, or to be grabbed between the legs by trump himself, they would have been literally queuing up in front of him most of his adult life.
People make choices, men and women. That does give anyone the right to be violent and abusive with impunity.
Dont beat people up. Stop the abuse.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:25 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
People make choices, men and women. That does give anyone the right to be violent and abusive with impunity.
The comment was that some women swoon rich guys, and some most certainly do. It had nothing to do with violence at all, 99% of the world's population would agree with your comment above, and I am most certainly in that 99%

Old 08-16-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
The comment was that some women swoon rich guys, and some most certainly do. It had nothing to do with violence at all, 99% of the world's population would agree with your comment above, and I am most certainly in that 99%
Swooning is legal. Bad choices are legal. Dont rape, dont beat anyone up. This is not hard to understand.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:01 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
That's fine for those who consensually roll that way. There's a real problem, though, with people who feel a sense of entitlement in placing their hands on others. Wealth and fame are a couple of those things that lead some people to a personal validation of that sense of entitlement.

I believe that Sonic Spork was referring to those men who possess and act upon their sense of entitlement. In fact, she did state: "SOME women will go for that, but MOST of us care more about a man's other qualities, and want to be seen as a person and not a product, commodity or perk of someone's lifestyle." I think that if you were to ask the majority of women posting on this forum, you would find that we are in agreement with Sonic about SOME women vs MOST women.

One can easily name a lot of rich, famous, and powerful men (Donald Trump, Bill O'Reilly, Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, Andrew Cuomo, just to name a few) who have been accused and/or found guilty of exercising this sense of entitlement. And (before you bring it up), yes, there are no doubt women who also feel that their wealth and fame entitles them to make unwanted sexual advances on others.

However, I don't know of any woman in our society who would get elected President after gleefully stating that her wealth and fame allows her to grab hold of the genitalia of men. Certainly, no woman making such a pronouncement would gain the electoral support of (purportedly) conservative voters. I think that this is indicative of what men can (and do) get away with in our society, and just how acceptable this kind of thinking is when it comes to men.

Thank you. That is exactly what I mean.

It doesn't matter that there are plenty of gorgeous models who throw themselves at you, when you are RECORDED saying that you moved on a married woman, didn't care, when you see beautiful, you don't even ask you just kiss (and I believe he mentioned, too, that he couldn't close the deal with this married woman, which tells me she probably did not want him "moving" on her) and then he's like, when you're rich and famous you just get to do that. Don't even ask, just kiss. Grab 'em by the...

That is not him saying that women throw themselves at him or swoon over his money or looks or that they WANT his attention. That's him saying that at the pinnacle of success, a man should not care what a woman wants or thinks, he should be entitled, whether she is single, married, wants his attention or not, just to move, kiss, grab.

The fact that a lot of men want to convolute, explain, excuse, and say "oh it's just your politics talking"... And I did not hear much, "ya know, that was not ok. I still voted for the guy because I had such huge problems with the alternative, but man...he needs to NOT say things like that."

Nah, they were a cult of personality freaking fan club with hats, shirts, flags, and the whole business. If anything, it was a sort of schoolyard bully glee. We embrace a rapist because we know that libs have feelings about that. Hope it makes 'em scared. Hope it makes 'em cry. Maybe we'll come grab ya'll now.

That was the feeling I got from that side.

Now here we are, and I did vote for Biden, but you know what? I don't assume that his hair sniffing and such was as bad as it looked but it did look bad. And I said many times in many places, good lord I hope someone tells him to never do that again. Even if he's not an all out actual evildoer or his intentions are not pervy but some outdated model of affection, he needs to get with the times and cut it out. He's making others uncomfortable, it is not OK.

I can criticize someone even if they are on my side, if I voted for them...I can say, "That thing they do is not cool."

I was happy that Cuomo stepped down. I don't defend him because he wears a Blue colored jersey in some imaginary team sportification of our national politics. I do not think that way. And a whole big chunk of the right has become based on a platform of solely "loyalty to Trump is all that matters." To include both voters AND elected offices downstream.

But you know what actually carried some weight for me?

You guys know the scene in one of the Mummy movies, I think maybe the second one, when Imhotep dies? He and the protagonist are both clinging to a cliff, in peril of falling to their deaths with rocks and stuff raining down from the cavern ceiling and both call out to their women...the hero telling his woman, if I recall, to run to safety, but she runs out and helps and rescues him. Then the bad guy calls out to his woman to come save him, and she nopes right out and runs away and he dies.

You know who would save her husband from peril? Dr. Jill Biden, our present First Lady would. In fact, when somebody rushed the stage at some event, she jumped between that person and her husband. You know who would nope right off just like Anck-Su-Namun? Melania Trump. She won't even hold his hand. Now I figure these women know their husbands better than I ever will, no matter how many awkward soundbites, no matter how many offenses or gaffes they might commit in public, no matter what they say in a speech or a rally. So noting these women's opinions of their husbands...it actually did mean something in my overall evaluation of these men's character.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:43 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,877,676 times
Quote:
I highly doubt most conservatives would care at all, if their female conservative candidate made some "Locker Room Joke" about grabbing a bloke in the balls, a decade before she ran for president.
I don't doubt that most conservatives care about the values and deportment of a female presidential candidate. I also just want to point out that, in 2005 when Trump made those comments regarding his sexual entitlement based on his wealth and prestige (thereby revealing his questionable values which continue to be excused by his apologists), that was not exactly "a decade before he ran for president."

By the year 1999, Trump had begun to seek the nomination of the Reform Party for the 2000 presidential election. Source: Donald Trump Ran For President in 2000 in Several Reform Party Presidential Primaries.

Additionally (and like Sonic Spork) I make no excuses or defense for Andrew Cuomo's behavior. I was also happy when he stepped down.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 08-16-2021 at 11:18 AM..

Old 08-16-2021, 03:36 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,673,179 times
And ya know what??

My opinion of these people who do these egregiously creepy or gross behaviors, it's not just that they did and offensive thing and I was offended by it. It's also, "HOW STUPID ARE YOU??" Like, you can't get away with that in your typical office job environment. Most people I know, generally, even if they quietly smile and support the guy, actually know better than to act like that or talk like that in life.

It makes me crazy that the voting citizenry of our country have not demanded better.

Like there are things about my own private life that, due to my job and how I live, I can compartmentalize them and in the context of where I'm at, I have no shame about it. But I know that running for office demands a higher level of dignity. That the press would be compelled to dig and dig and look for whatever dirt they could find. The dirt exists. I am not worried about it being exposed right now, but if I even thought of running for office, I'd go on a sterilization campaign, I'd be looking to nuke anything I've ever put out there that would get dug up and put on blast.

Because I believe that running for elected office, you should bring some dignity to it, and if you run for office and there's a heap of nasty dirty laundry in your closet just waiting to be flapped around in the faces of your neighbors and countrymen...well, that is pretty shameful and not very smart.

But I'm a woman. And I think that women are expected on some level to care about this kind of thing, and don't get away with as much as men do. So instead of being shameful, it got 45 "one of the guys" points.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:58 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
. That does give anyone the right to be violent and abusive with impunity.
I hope you left out a "not".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.