Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2021, 03:08 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Do you really think we haven't started yet? Please be clear in what you are trying to say.

We cannot stop misogyny if we do not Westernize people all over the world. Sadly, we are giving up on Westernizing even immigrants to our own country, and women will suffer. Millions of illegals are arriving here just in 2021 alone. Will they be taught to reject their misogynistic culture,, obey our laws, and respect women? We have seen what happens in Europe when third world men are allowed into their countries but are permitted to keep their old ways. Women suffer.
here it in very clear language what i have already stated, clearly. yes we are still working on that misogyny in westernized America. i suggest you read all the posts and discussions here. there is much to learn.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:47 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Do you really think we haven't started yet? Please be clear in what you are trying to say.

We cannot stop misogyny if we do not Westernize people all over the world. Sadly, we are giving up on Westernizing even immigrants to our own country, and women will suffer. Millions of illegals are arriving here just in 2021 alone. Will they be taught to reject their misogynistic culture,, obey our laws, and respect women? We have seen what happens in Europe when third world men are allowed into their countries but are permitted to keep their old ways. Women suffer.
Despite the appeal of ethnocentrism for some people, misogyny is not exclusive to non-Westernized nations. We, too, have plenty of people born and bred right here in the United States who, despite whatever their race, gender, politics, or religion may be, need to "be taught to reject their misogynistic culture, obey our laws, and respect women." They also need to be taught to respect all other people in general.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:50 PM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:

I'll be clear. We have a long way to go in eliminating misogyny right here in the US. Men who don't recognize that are a part of the problem.

I do agree, however, that immigrants to the US need to leave the abusive practices of their homeland behind, whether it's toward women, children, other men, other skin colors, pets, or anyone else.

Last edited by KCZ; 07-28-2021 at 03:59 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 03:56 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
There's a lot of subtle misogyny out there, too; sometimes it's mistakenly characterized as respect.

For instance, a man holding the door open for a woman is often called respect or tradition, but it comes from the idea that women are weaker. I used to work for a guy who told me he would race ahead to open the door just to make the woman feel she has to hurry.

Some men (especially older ones) think calling a woman "dear" is appropriate (no, it's condescending, which means he thinks he's better than she is) or call an older woman "young lady", which implies that being an old female is bad.

Some TV shows are hotbeds of misogynist activity. All the female characters are young, hot, dressed in revealing outfits, and only react to the men, who are often older and less appealing, but get better lines and characters.

The Bechdel test is a measure of the representation of women in fiction. It asks whether a work features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. Keep it in mind when watching a movie or TV, or even reading a book.
It's not the ideal measurement of respect for women, but it's a place to start.
I am a stay at home father, who frankly loves playing with children. However in this situation you find subtle forms of misandry all the time. Just last month for instance I had to find a new piano teacher for our daughter, and lined up a man, my wife turned around a said she did not want a man teaching our daughter, despite the fact he had all the relevant qualifications and tons of experience, and she simply refuses to let a strange man look after our children as well even if he has all the correct qualifications registrations etc as well.

As a stay at home Dad you get occasional bad looks in the park, with people trying to work out if you are some kind of creep. You get told you have filled your government benefits forms out incorrectly, because they are in the name of the father. You are greeted with surprise all the time, when you tell someone you do all the cooking and most of the cleaning in the house (and love doing it), you sometimes get kicked out of parents rooms by irate women who think you should not be there, and its an absolute nightmare trying to get your school to make you the principle contact regarding a Childs affairs.

I know its not the intention of the OP, however in my opinion threads such as this and all this associated talk of misogyny and portrayal of men as been violent, sexist etc etc, is simply making it harder for men to get into female areas. Though I think we will agree that actually encouraging men to do this would be beneficial to society? This is a graph showing what % of school teachers a male in Australia (Where i live). As you can see its going down quite quickly, now there may be other things that influence this, but I am sure what is been discussed above pays a big part in it.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...png?1583380814

Books and TV shows certainly work both ways, I am currently reading "Matilda" to my daughter, in which the central character (Matilda) is a lovely sweet child genius, and the only two men in the Novel are absolute ignorant buffoons' who need to be taught a lesson.

It goes without saying that there are also loads of men on TV who are portrayed as clueless sexist and fat.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-28-2021 at 04:14 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 04:43 PM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I am a stay at home father, who frankly loves playing with children. However in this situation you find subtle forms of misandry all the time. Just last month for instance I had to find a new piano teacher for our daughter, and lined up a man, my wife turned around a said she did not want a man teaching our daughter, despite the fact he had all the relevant qualifications and tons of experience, and she simply refuses to let a strange man look after our children as well even if he has all the correct qualifications registrations etc as well.

As a stay at home Dad you get occasional bad looks in the park, with people trying to work out if you are some kind of creep. You get told you have filled your government benefits forms out incorrectly, because they are in the name of the father. You are greeted with surprise all the time, when you tell someone you do all the cooking and most of the cleaning in the house (and love doing it), you sometimes get kicked out of parents rooms by irate women who think you should not be there, and its an absolute nightmare trying to get your school to make you the principle contact regarding a Childs affairs.

I know its not the intention of the OP, however in my opinion threads such as this and all this associated talk of misogyny and portrayal of men as been violent, sexist etc etc, is simply making it harder for men to get into female areas. Though I think we will agree that actually encouraging men to do this would be beneficial to society? This is a graph showing what % of school teachers a male in Australia (Where i live). As you can see its going down quite quickly, now there may be other things that influence this, but I am sure what is been discussed above pays a big part in it.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...png?1583380814

Books and TV shows certainly work both ways, I am currently reading "Matilda" to my daughter, in which the central character (Matilda) is a lovely sweet child genius, and the only two men in the Novel are absolute ignorant buffoons' who need to be taught a lesson.

It goes without saying that there are also loads of men on TV who are portrayed as clueless sexist and fat.

This is from the same source as your graph (Australian Bureau of Statistics) from 1995, the midpoint of your graph's data. [Bold mine.]
Quote:
Increasing representation of women
In 1975, 59% of teachers were women. By 1995 this hadincreased to 64%. This trend is expected to continue because the balance between the numbers of men and women training to become teachers has also changed. In 1994, 74% of education students graduating from universities were women compared to 69% in 1987.

This trend coincided with a period in which there were also rapid increases in the numbers of women participating in a broad range of higher education courses, paid work and other career development activities (see Education - national summary table; and Work - national summary table). Women may be particularly attracted to teaching as a career, as it has the advantage of longer periods of leave (during school holidays) compared to other professional occupationsthus providing greater opportunity to spend time with their own children during their formative years.

Male teachers tend to be slightly older than female teachers (median ages of 40 years and 39 years respectively). With more male teachers due to retire over coming years this difference may increase the proportion of women teachers over time.

Other factors affecting the balance between men and women in teaching may relate to changes in men's perceptions of teaching as a desirable career. Working conditions such as hours of work (paid and unpaid) and salary levels compared to other occupations may be influencing these trends.
https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@...d!OpenDocument

More women trained to become teachers, and more women became teachers. Shocking. Men aged out of the profession in the meantime. I don't see feminists mentioned anywhere. There are also graphs on that same website showing that proportionally more men are secondary teachers, which pays better than primary ed where the majority of female teachers work, and discussion of how teachers' pay hasn't kept up with other professions. Yup, more women in teaching is inherently unfair to men.

In the US right now, more women attend college, graduate from college, and make up the college-educated part of the work force than men. This is the only way women get ahead...by working their butts off and hoping male-entrenched companies hire them.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:53 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Most of this doesn't make sense to me. Holding a door is just common curtersy if someone is walking behind or besides you.. You've never held the door for someone of the same sex?

Women call men 'sweetie', 'honey', 'dear' all the time. That's super common for older women to call men those kind of names and it's not seen as sexualizing the person. My grandma liked to be called 'young lady' until she passed in her late 80s. Would it be better to say old lady, that sounds more rude to me..

TV shoews are shallow in general. Leading men are usually tall and if not at least exceptionally handsome. Short, chubby, or ugly guys are the comic relief. Big brutish guys are the villains. Petite attractive women are the heroine. That's the way it is because that's what sells, not the other way around.
Yeah, I agree...it's definitely overreaching. I can't imagine a women getting upset that a man holds a door open for her... like really? lol. I think you have to be pretty miserable to let things like that upset you.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
This is from the same source as your graph (Australian Bureau of Statistics) from 1995, the midpoint of your graph's data. [Bold mine.]
https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@...d!OpenDocument

More women trained to become teachers, and more women became teachers. Shocking. Men aged out of the profession in the meantime. I don't see feminists mentioned anywhere. There are also graphs on that same website showing that proportionally more men are secondary teachers, which pays better than primary ed where the majority of female teachers work, and discussion of how teachers' pay hasn't kept up with other professions. Yup, more women in teaching is inherently unfair to men.

In the US right now, more women attend college, graduate from college, and make up the college-educated part of the work force than men. This is the only way women get ahead...by working their butts off and hoping male-entrenched companies hire them.
So is the fact that men may be more likely to show interest in, and be far more ready to put in the huge number of hours over many years, as well been prepared to put up with all the public criticism that comes with holding positions such as a Politician or Chief Executive officer, than a Women, the reason why we have problems at that end? Or is it the boys club?

Of course feminism would not be mentioned anywhere, the ABS is a government organization, and any critique of feminism as a movement is a taboo that would be met by an instant barrage of criticism, from the highest level of government.

Teaching has always been a low paying profession in Australia, and their is actually no difference between the salaries of primary and secondary teachers in my state, teachers regardless of weather they teach at primary and secondary schools, are all paid under a single enterprise agreement based on seniority in the profession.

I also specifically said its not the only reason, but a big part of it.

The only way for men to get ahead is by working there butts off and hoping male-entrenched companies hire them as well, welcome to equality. So many people have college degrees these days, it means virtually nothing to have one, I have 3 of them myself.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-28-2021 at 06:05 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 05:12 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Yeah, I agree...it's definitely overreaching. I can't imagine a women getting upset that a man holds a door open for her... like really? lol. I think you have to be pretty miserable to let things like that upset you.
Yeah I don't really agree that the stuff daniel mentioned is misandry either. Men are how many times more likely to be child predators than women? It's not an insignificant difference, it's a massive one. You can't ask people to ignore their stereotypes when they are based in fact and impact the safety of their children just to make you feel more comfortable bringing your kid to the park. Talk to the other parents and get to know them. Be understanding of their suspicion instead of defensive and it will probably work out better in the long run.

I hear a lot about misogyny but I don't know what I'm supposed to do about it when I don't see it in my daily life. I'm only 28 and had as many woman bosses as men in my career. I make plenty of money for a young guy but work constantly with women making double or triple what I do in their 30s. I don't notice any difference in competanance between men and women managers and directors. I've never seen anything remotely resembling sexism in my professional life. The last time I witnesssed anything resesmbling that was a college locker room or a frat house.

Other cultures and countries ARE much worse for misogny than the west. I've heard horror stories from women who lived or travelled in the middle east, India and Africa. Things that would make the front page news and twitter #1 trending over here that are just everyday life in some places.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:27 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Men used to have conniptions when women held the door open for them. I always hold the door open for anyone carrying packages; it has nothing to do with gender. But there was a time, when men really hated that. I think they mistook it as a political statement, or something. Kind of like how these days, if you complain about the heat, some people go into histrionics, thinking you're making a reference to climate change.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Equality???

Have you ever shown up for a job interview and heard the head of the large organization announce to everyone that the men in the room might as well leave right now because he wasn't hiring any men? No?

How about finding out that a female colleague with the same training and experience and less seniority was getting paid 40% more than you for doing the exact same job equally well? No?

Gotten asked at work what kind of underwear you were wearing? No?

When you can answer questions like that with a Yes, then you can lay claim to being equal.
1) That is how Gender Quotas work, even if its behind the scenes in the HR department, it still has the same affect - Yes

2) I was paid by output, and yes the best females did get paid significantly more than I did, despite having the same qualifications and doing the same work and I do my job very well, i was employed by the same company for a decade before leaving to become a stay at home dad. - Yes

However it will admit what you say would have been the case prior to 1969 in Australia (Equal pay for women has been the law in Australia, since 1969).

3) Not at work (Though socially absolutely), though I would strongly disapprove of such behavior, and quite frankly hope you called the guy out for it.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-28-2021 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.