Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2021, 06:31 PM

4,121 posts, read 1,891,881 times

Advertisements

Moderator's note: I have had to delete enough personal attacks, one-liners, and profanity in this thread. If anyone else goes off the rails with self-righteous rage, I will start handing out infractions and forum suspensions. That goes for participants arguing on EITHER side of this debate. Don't complain that you're the only one being "picked on." You don't know who else has had posts deleted because you probably never got the chance to see them.

For all new-comers to the Great Debates forum: READ...THE...RULES. They are conveniently posted at the top of this forum. Please pay particular attention to the "NO one-liners" rule.

For everyone here: Remain respectful. If you can't handle respectful debate, then Great Debates is not the forum for you. Take your rage to the Politics & Other Controversies forum.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:45 PM
KCZ

4,689 posts, read 3,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
1) That is how Gender Quotas work, even if its behind the scenes in the HR department, it still has the same affect - Yes

2) I was paid by output, and yes the best females did get paid significantly more than I did, despite having the same qualifications and doing the same work and I do my job very well, i was employed by the same company for a decade before leaving to become a stay at home dad. - Yes

However it will admit what you say would have been the case prior to 1969 in Australia (Equal pay for women has been the law in Australia, since 1969).

3) Not at work (Though socially absolutely), though I would strongly disapprove of such behavior, and quite frankly hope you called the guy out for it.

Calling a guy out for underwear remarks will frequently bring more abuse down on a woman, and if she's in a specialized field where everyone knows everyone else, she runs the risk of finding herself unemployed.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:02 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,520,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Calling a guy out for underwear remarks will frequently bring more abuse down on a woman, and if she's in a specialized field where everyone knows everyone else, she runs the risk of finding herself unemployed.
That is exactly the same thing that happens to people who complain about companies or employees of those companies everywhere, its not a gender issue, it needs to be taken seriously regardless of a persons gender.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:16 PM
KCZ

4,689 posts, read 3,696,569 times
Quote:
That is exactly the same thing that happens to people who complain about companies or employees of those companies everywhere, its not a gender issue, it needs to be taken seriously regardless of a persons gender.

I understand that. The point that I was trying to make was that men are not usually subjected to personal remarks about their underwear, which borders on sexual harassment, in a work setting. Your advice was to "call the guy out for it." Any time a woman does something like that, she's labelled with a word I can't use here and those names stick. Ditto if she reports him to HR.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Yeah I don't really agree that the stuff daniel mentioned is misandry either. Men are how many times more likely to be child predators than women? It's not an insignificant difference, it's a massive one. You can't ask people to ignore their stereotypes when they are based in fact and impact the safety of their children just to make you feel more comfortable bringing your kid to the park. Talk to the other parents and get to know them. Be understanding of their suspicion instead of defensive and it will probably work out better in the long run.

I hear a lot about misogyny but I don't know what I'm supposed to do about it when I don't see it in my daily life. I'm only 28 and had as many woman bosses as men in my career. I make plenty of money for a young guy but work constantly with women making double or triple what I do in their 30s. I don't notice any difference in competanance between men and women managers and directors. I've never seen anything remotely resembling sexism in my professional life. The last time I witnesssed anything resesmbling that was a college locker room or a frat house.

Other cultures and countries ARE much worse for misogny than the west. I've heard horror stories from women who lived or travelled in the middle east, India and Africa. Things that would make the front page news and twitter #1 trending over here that are just everyday life in some places.
The trouble is that in 2021, the word Misogyny is tossed around so much, something as simply disagreeing with elements of feminist theory, is sometimes termed Misogyny. Certainly it seems to have become very interwind with sexism, which is not the hatred of women either.

Though I tend to take this Kind of View on the subject.

" I define misogyny as social systems or environments where women face hostility and hatred because they’re women in a man's world".

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/...yny-kate-manne

If this is the case, the reverse should also hold true.

Facts have never got in the way issues that are deemed politically sensitive. In Australia for instance an Aboriginal is far more likely to be violent towards a women than an white man, and an Aboriginal women is far more likely to be a victim of Assault as a result. However if I were to say that means Aboriginal men are violent and could not be trusted, I would be called racist, and I am sure you have many such issues like this in the USA.

Men are certainly more likely to be a sexual predator than a women , however its also extremely unlikely that a man actually is a sexual predator.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-29-2021 at 02:31 AM..

Old 07-29-2021, 03:31 AM

4,121 posts, read 1,891,881 times
Quote:
The trouble is that in 2021, the word Misogyny is tossed around so much, something as simply disagreeing with elements of feminist theory, is sometimes termed Misogyny. Certainly it seems to have become very interwind with sexism, which is not the hatred of women either.

Though I tend to take this Kind of View on the subject.

" I define misogyny as social systems or environments where women face hostility and hatred because they’re women in a man's world".

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/...yny-kate-manne

If this is the case, the reverse should also hold true.

Facts have never got in the way issues that are deemed politically sensitive. In Australia for instance an Aboriginal is far more likely to be violent towards a women than an white man, and an Aboriginal women is far more likely to be a victim of Assault as a result. However if I were to say that means Aboriginal men are violent and could not be trusted, I would be called racist, and I am sure you have many such issues like this in the USA.

Men are certainly more likely to be a sexual predator than a women , however its also extremely unlikely that a man actually is a sexual predator.
You appear to be suggesting that Aboriginal Australians are more violent than White people because they are Aboriginal Australians. Whereas, there are underlying reasons for the over-representation of Aboriginal Australians in Australia's statistics for crime convictions and imprisonment: "Various explanations have been given for this over-representation, such as a reflection of systemic racism, both historical (such as the Stolen Generations) and more recent. Whole communities have been traumatised, and other issues such as police brutality, disconnection from land, and poor socioeconomic situation have contributed to the crime rate. Issues associated to low socioeconomic status (inadequate housing, low academic achievement, poor health, poor parenting, etc.) to all types of crime are well-established, and disadvantage is greater in Indigenous communities than non-Indigenous ones in Australia." [Quoted from linked article]

These are a few "facts that have never gotten in the way of issues that are deemed politically sensitive."

As to your assertion that "men are certainly more likely to be a sexual predator than women"... It may also be that men are far more likely to be convicted and imprisoned of sexual predatory behavior than women are. There have been recent studies to indicate that the proportion of female sex offenders is higher than was previously thought.

Whether or not women statistically approach men when it comes to being sexual predators, the fact remains that the majority of men are far more physically capable of inflicting violence than women are, and also that society rewards men for aggressive behavior.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
You appear to be suggesting that Aboriginal Australians are more violent than White people because they are Aboriginal Australians. Whereas, there are underlying reasons for the over-representation of Aboriginal Australians in Australia's statistics for crime convictions and imprisonment: "Various explanations have been given for this over-representation, such as a reflection of systemic racism, both historical (such as the Stolen Generations) and more recent. Whole communities have been traumatised, and other issues such as police brutality, disconnection from land, and poor socioeconomic situation have contributed to the crime rate. Issues associated to low socioeconomic status (inadequate housing, low academic achievement, poor health, poor parenting, etc.) to all types of crime are well-established, and disadvantage is greater in Indigenous communities than non-Indigenous ones in Australia." [Quoted from linked article]

These are a few "facts that have never gotten in the way of issues that are deemed politically sensitive."

As to your assertion that "men are certainly more likely to be a sexual predator than women"... It may also be that men are far more likely to be convicted and imprisoned of sexual predatory behavior than women are. There have been recent studies to indicate that the proportion of female sex offenders is higher than was previously thought.

Whether or not women statistically approach men when it comes to being sexual predators, the fact remains that the majority of men are far more physically capable of inflicting violence than women are, and also that society rewards men for aggressive behavior.

That was most certainly never the objective, so apologies if you perceived it this way.

The issues you have raised are well known in Australia, and have been taught to us in mass, for at least the last 35 years (It was when I was in Primary School).

It was more to highlight that if you happen to treat an entire group of people based on criminal records and the behavior of a few, you often end up marginalizing that group. Which is why its considered racist to do this.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:41 AM

8,120 posts, read 7,499,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
here it in very clear language what i have already stated, clearly. yes we are still working on that misogyny in westernized America. i suggest you read all the posts and discussions here. there is much to learn.
I posted about a girl being killed in a horrible way overseas, and I had a pretty emotional reaction to that as I'm sure you will understand. Then I read a post by someone complaining how female characters are depicted on TV sitcoms.

We certainly are working on removing misogyny from sitcoms (yes, I've seen a few episodes of Kevin Can F Himself). In America we have already eliminated the gang murder of teenage girls for wearing blue jeans. Let's give ourselves credit for what we've done (both men and women need to work together) while working on the problem.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:43 AM

8,120 posts, read 7,499,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Despite the appeal of ethnocentrism for some people, misogyny is not exclusive to non-Westernized nations. We, too, have plenty of people born and bred right here in the United States who, despite whatever their race, gender, politics, or religion may be, need to "be taught to reject their misogynistic culture, obey our laws, and respect women." They also need to be taught to respect all other people in general.
That's what I'm talking about. It's easy to look at American sitcoms and complain about how women are portrayed while ignoring how women literally suffer every day all over the world. Respect for women needs to be taught to men, and not only in America.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:35 AM

2,386 posts, read 1,871,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
That's what I'm talking about. It's easy to look at American sitcoms and complain about how women are portrayed while ignoring how women literally suffer every day all over the world. Respect for women needs to be taught to men, and not only in America.
Yea I also knew a woman killed in Agra for trying to divorce from her husband, which insulted his family. She left him and kept working for an clean water NGO in the city despite his refusal of her to leave. Eventually he caught her walking and left her dead in a ditch on the side of the road. The husband then killed his 2 year old kid and himself. Horrible story that would have been on national news here in the states but was not exactly huge news over there. I don't think India is the worst place either but there is certainly serious problems. I think we should at least acknowledge how progressive and fair the USA is (in 2021) compared to much of the world.

There could be more changes needed but if we can't acknowledge our successes then it's hard to get people on board with other changes. It makes the person look like they can't tell common sense and can't appreciate progress anyway. Why would I get on board with your new changes if you never appreciated the others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates