Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 02:32 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Perhaps you forgot it was their own countrymen who sold them into slavery?

And that comes into play in this argument where? Nowhere, just like most of your "points"
They were prisoners in Africa...not slaves. There would be no seller if not for a buyer.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:35 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Black militants were taking the law into their own hands, again comes the law to make things right, is that so bad? Perhaps in that situation, militants were doing some good, while also doing harm.

Black Pride is something that blacks use against whites as a form of hatred, almost nationwide. If any white person wanted to hold a white pride rally, blacks would automatically label it a KKK gathering, and call the police on a group of whiteys.

While you may be doing what's right by your children, the fact of the matter is many parents are not, regardless of race, however, there are MANY blacks that feel every white person is responsible for their situation, and place that blame with hatred and violence.

Jesse Jackson is one of the most racist pigs on the face of this planet, that is a pure fact. He hates white people even more than the good reverend Al Sharpton. They both need a swift kick in the tail.

Everybody is somebody, what makes blacks the exception that they get to prance around and demand rights while everyone else has to sit and watch? You think that you know what I believe, and that is another trait among narrow minded people who only care about their own advancement and the hell with everyone else. You assume that I believe, or think the way you hope I do, so that you can continue to use false arguments. Everyone in this country has the opportunity to excel in life, free public education, grants and scholarships to higher education, so anyone can do well, if they try and put their mind to it. Please don't give me anymore of that "poor poor pitiful blacks" bull you have been throwing around in lightly veiled personal attacks. Not all of us are racist, not all of us hate you for raising your children to try and be better than everyone else, because that is the ultimate goal of anyone wanting to succeed, to be better than those around them, to do better and live a better life. Nobody can fault you or me for raising our children that way, but you seem to believe that if you are black, it is ok to preach about history to prod your children along to a life their ancestors didn't have, because their own countrymen mistreated them.

People don't want to send their kids to schools in high crime areas, guess what, that is generally a high-minority area, so if sending my children to a school in a safer area means there will be more white kids in their classes, then that's fine with me. Cultural diversity is a great thing, but that is a far cry from segregation and separation. Nobody wants their kids to have to fight everyday, or be dragged down in a "C" grade school when their child can attend an "A" grade school and not have to worry about coming home with a black eye.

I went to high school in a part of town that was considered "redneck". Guess what, they bussed in kids from surrounding, low income areas, and they were always starting fights. Riding the bus home I constantly had things thrown at me, people trying to start fights with me, etc, must have been because I was the only white kid on my bus. Talk to me about racism and hatred after you have to try and stand up for yourself against 30 other people physically attacking you. You know nothing of the racism and hatred that your ancestors had to face until you face it yourself, stories are one thing, experiences another.
Point one: The law in those days was doing nothing for Black people. Black people were basically subjected to every kind of abuse possible from the police and other persons in law enforcement. If the persons who are suppose to be protecting the citizens are the ones abusing people, of course there is going to be some kind of rebellion. The Black Panther Party, when it first started, was about the power structure, explicitly about the power structure. It was in response to police brutality. They felt they could do a better job protecting and policing Blacks better than the police could.

Point two: Black pride did came into fruition as a result of the traditional American culture basically treating Blacks as inferiors. Basically, Blacks were saying "Black isn't ugly". It was in response to "White pride" and "white power" in those days. You want to know where this "White" pride came from? It was in response to African slaves and indentured European servants getting together and rebellion against the elites in Virginia. The elites basically said "you're white. I'm white, let us make a deal".

Point three: I also went to a school in the "redneck" part of town. There was alot of racial tensions in that area. After the Confederate flag was banned from the school, alot of fights occurred. And I was attacked by a few people. A teenager in my subdivision took a paintball gun out and shot me with it, in broad daylight at a bus stop. Not much as done about it. In case you are wondering, he was a White kid who did this to me and I am Black. I was getting in fights with both the Black kids and the White kids. Being in an area that was a "low minority" area didn't guarantee I wouldn't get in any fights. In fact, I got in more fights living out in the sticks than I did in the somewhat "urban" areas.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:58 PM

314 posts, read 189,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
They were prisoners in Africa...not slaves. There would be no seller if not for a buyer.
There were buys all over long before there were buyers in the U.S.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:59 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Well, thanks for playing, but you're simply running out of BS excuses and rants to spew here, and it shows. Get off your high horse and quit trying to make up an argument out of nothing.

Fact, more minorities in jail because a higher percentage of minorities commit more crime than non minorities (whatever that is anymore)
Other factors you fail to see:

A) Most minorities who commit crimes are usually poor and can't afford a lawyer to represent them. For that reason, many end up with a public defender who can't do a good job representing that person.
B)Drugs. Until some of the drug laws were changed, there were alot of Whites in prison. When drug laws were changed, this disproportionately affected minorities, especially African-Americans. Much of the prison population is there for drug offenses. The rapid increase in African-Americans being incarcerated has alot to do with drugs and the laws being changed. You spend as much time in prison for cocaine possession as you do for rape. Not for distribution or sale, but just having it. You will do time for 100 grams of cocaine and one gram of crack. Guess what crack is made from? COCAINE. The average sentence for cocaine is about 6 years. It is about 10 years for crack. You might spend more time in prison for drug possession than you would for something worse, like child molestation.
C) Unfairness in sentencing. Not only are crimes involving crack and cocaine harsh. In some cases, many African-Americans might get a harsher sentence in general.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:48 PM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
That's not quite true. There are still slaves bought and sold in parts of western Africa, usually as children, and used for labor there. Africans used slaves back then, but the "market" grew with the new demand from the foreigners.

Doesn't by any stretch of the imagination make it OK that that people back then bought people to ship across the ocean for forced labor over here, and defending slavery in the Americas by saying "well, Africans sold Africans" is ridiculous.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:10 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's not quite true. There are still slaves bought and sold in parts of western Africa, usually as children, and used for labor there. Africans used slaves back then, but the "market" grew with the new demand from the foreigners.

Doesn't by any stretch of the imagination make it OK that that people back then bought people to ship across the ocean for forced labor over here, and defending slavery in the Americas by saying "well, Africans sold Africans" is ridiculous.

What happens in West Africa today are CRIMES. There are criminal minded people who go around and con families that they will take their children and provide them a better life, with school and such. These parents desperate to give a better life for their children often let them go….not knowing that these children will be put into work camps. The governments are simply too poor to eradicate these criminals. So it’s not as if, like in the West, this is legalized.

You have to also realize that West African kingdoms were communal and were not trade oriented until the Arabs and Europeans came into the picture. Hence, bodies were needed to work and harvest the land what tribal wars did, prior to Arabs and Europeans, is decimated the available people to work the land. So tribes took captives from the rival tribe to replace the lost labor. This servitude was a consequence and punishment for war imposed onto the rival tribe. The life and position socially of such prisoners were very, very different than the role and social position of the slave in America. It was not until Arab and European traders wanted to trade in humans in exchange for goods that West Africans did not have did the dynamics of West African slavery change. Furthermore, trade and contact with others also teaches people new ways of economics, religion, technology, ect. Thus, the West Africans picked up Islam, Christianity, capitalism, Arabic, English, French…..as well as ways of exploitation, from prolonged contact. In summary, just because you use the same terms it does not mean you are really talking about the same thing. A serial killer and a pick pocket are both “criminals”, but there is a big difference between the two.

When I look at the world, the most violent countries are countries with histories of racial oppression. South Africa, Brazil, Jamaica…..the USA, if not drugs (Columbia and Mexico) or nations with civil wars.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:02 PM

139 posts, read 441,201 times
Minorities and other low-income persons tend to commit more PETTY crimes. When you have money you learn how to chit where you don't have to eat. If you want to get rid of drugs then common sense would dictate that you don't arrest the street level dealer but the persons flying the drugs into the country and making the biggest profit.

Rich men fight big azzed wars. Can you say Nam, Iraq, Iran? WWI, WWII, Bernie Madoff? Of course you're not going to have people standing on the street corners of rich suburbia selling baggies of dope though they may be hidden away in their mansions meeting with high level drug dealers from other parts of the world and cooking up another money laundering scheme. You watched the movie "Scarface" you saw all of the rich white Latins and AMericans Tony Montano started dealing with when he started moving up in the drug world. All of them laundering that drug money and cutting deals from their wealthy estates and haciendas.

And yes the most violent countries are the ones with the history of racial oppression and the rich whites of those nations decry the "violent" blacks when it was the European conquerors who brought the violence to those nations. The American justice system is a ***** who can be bought for a high price. Look at all of the hypocrites who whined when OJ allegedly "got off" largely because a wealthy black man was able to buy a defense that white suspects have been buying for centuries. If a lot of black and Hispanic men had the financial means they could buy their way out of a paper bag. White people have instituted worldwide and wholesale slaughter in their pursuit of riches and wealth then they turn around and call other persons "violent" and "criminal". Physician heal thyself.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:08 PM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
What happens in West Africa today are CRIMES. There are criminal minded people who go around and con families that they will take their children and provide them a better life, with school and such. These parents desperate to give a better life for their children often let them go….not knowing that these children will be put into work camps. The governments are simply too poor to eradicate these criminals. So it’s not as if, like in the West, this is legalized.

You have to also realize that West African kingdoms were communal and were not trade oriented until the Arabs and Europeans came into the picture. Hence, bodies were needed to work and harvest the land what tribal wars did, prior to Arabs and Europeans, is decimated the available people to work the land. So tribes took captives from the rival tribe to replace the lost labor. This servitude was a consequence and punishment for war imposed onto the rival tribe. The life and position socially of such prisoners were very, very different than the role and social position of the slave in America. It was not until Arab and European traders wanted to trade in humans in exchange for goods that West Africans did not have did the dynamics of West African slavery change. Furthermore, trade and contact with others also teaches people new ways of economics, religion, technology, ect. Thus, the West Africans picked up Islam, Christianity, capitalism, Arabic, English, French…..as well as ways of exploitation, from prolonged contact. In summary, just because you use the same terms it does not mean you are really talking about the same thing. A serial killer and a pick pocket are both “criminals”, but there is a big difference between the two.

When I look at the world, the most violent countries are countries with histories of racial oppression. South Africa, Brazil, Jamaica…..the USA, if not drugs (Columbia and Mexico) or nations with civil wars.
That does make sense--thank you for the information.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:00 AM

221 posts, read 364,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
Haven't read the entire thread, but I'd like to mention Prince George's county, MD (next to DC). It is the wealthiest county in America that has a black majority. It is also has a crime rate that rival's DC and is known as dangerous to everyone in the area. By comparison, the white majority counties surrounding DC (Montgomery MD, Arlington VA, Howard, MD) have a radically lower crime rate than DC.

Can anyone explain this?
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but yes this is an interesting point I've brought up elsewhere. That for some reason, no matter the economic strata, the african american communities have significantly higher rates. To the best of my knowledge, 2 to 3x.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:03 AM

221 posts, read 364,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
regarding race and crime-----

I have spent a lot of time researching areas of the south for retirement re-location.
All my research was done on southern cities smaller than 15.000 that caught my interest. I , frankly, am not concerned about a city/town's racial mix. but will not move to a town with a high crime rate.

Here is what I have found--------

The biggest indicator of a high crime rate is the % of blacks living there.
The higher the percent of blacks, the higher the crime index rate.

When using city-data Detailed Profile, I have found this to be true in the vast majority of the hundreds of cities/towns I have reserched.

Why is this ?

I have noticed this indicator to be true even when the poverty levels are the same, educational levels are the same.

It just seems any small , southern town/city that has over 25% blacks has a crime index higher than what I want.

The most telling indicator and my conclusions---

90% white
10% black-------crime rate at or near national average

70% white
30% black--------crime rate much higher than national average

over and over and over, I have observed that.
It is so prevelant that once I see the racial breakdown of small .southern towns. I already know what to expect in regards to the crime index regardless of the poverty and education demographics of that city.

Why the corelation that happens over and over in smaller towns ?
My analysis shows the same, though not limited to a population size:

Rankings by Population Group

Most Dangerous 25:.......%AA Largest Segment?
1...Detroit, Mich.............81.6............Y
2...Atlanta, Ga...............61.4............Y
3...St. Louis, Mo.............51.2............Y
4...Flint, Mich.................53.3............Y
5...Camden, N.J..............53.3............Y
6...Gary, Ind..................84.0............Y
7...West Palm Beach, FL..36.2............N
8...Compton, Calif...........40.3............N
9...Tampa, FL................26.1.............N
10..Washington, D.C.......55.6.............Y
11..Jackson, Miss...........70.6.............Y
12..Newark, N.J.............53.5.............Y
13..Kansas City, MO.......31.2.............Y
14..Miami-Dade, FL........17.5..............N
15..New Orleans, La.......67.3..............Y
16..Memphis, Tenn.........61.4.............Y
17..Orlando, Fla.............26.9.............N
18..Dayton, OH..............43.1............N
19..Richmond, VA...........52.3............Y
20..Dallas, TX................23.2............N
21..Philadelphia, Pa.........43.2............Y
22..Youngstown, Ohio......43.8...........N
23..Cleveland, OH...........54.2............Y
24..Oakland, Calif...........35.7.............Y
25..Minneapolis, MN........18.0.............N

Safest 25:...................%AA...Largest Segment?
1...Amherst, N.Y...........3.90............N
2...Mission Viejo, Ca......1.15............N
3...Brick Twnshp, N.J.....0.99............N
4...Newton, Mass..........1.97............N
5...Simi Valley, CA.........1.30............N
6...Cary, NC.................6.15............N
7...Greece, N.Y.............2.88............N
8...Thousand Oaks, CA...1.06............N
9...Colonie, N.Y.............3.96............N
10..Troy, MI..................2.09...........N
11..Sunnyvale, CA..........2.22...........N
12..Arvada, CO..............0.66...........N
13..Lake Forest, CA........1.83...........N
14..Orem, UT.................0.33...........N
15..Clarkstown, N.Y........7.87...........N
16..Sterling Heights, MI...1.30...........N
17..Irvine, CA................1.45...........N
18..Hamilton Twnshp, NJ..8.16..........N
19..Warwick, RI..............1.16..........N
20..Dover Twnshp, NJ......1.75..........N
21..Canton Twnshp, MI....4.54..........N
22..Cheektowaga, NY.......2.93..........N
23..Fremont, CA..............3.10..........N
24..Bellevue, WA.............1.99..........N
25..Farmington Hills, MI....6.94..........N
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates