Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:14 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,376,745 times

Advertisements

Well here's hoping the national government overrules it somehow. The law is insane, you're enabling "big brother" to do whatever they want, in the name of "safety"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 05:07 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,885,203 times
Under guise of safety you see your freedom slip away. and the lemmings even say its ok because we are safe now.... The illegals never made you unsafe... They aren't going after terrorist I suggest you watch Zeitgeist , the movie.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
First off, I really don't think you will be picked up going to your mailbox.
It's not whether you think I will be or not. It's whether I CAN be. You are now living in a country where you CAN be, and you have no defense if you are. Believer me, if you CAN be, somebody WILL be. How do you know it won't be you?

I don''t think the police will crash through my door in the middle of the night and haul off my family without explanation and imprison them without due process, either. But I'm still glad they CAN'T. Or at least, they couldn't, in the pre-Guantanamo era, but now I'm not so sure.

Do you take comfort in knowing that, all of a sudden, both of those things CAN happen legally in the USA? What's next?

"They came for the aliens, but I was not an alien, so I said nothing . . . "

Last edited by jtur88; 04-25-2010 at 07:59 AM..

Old 04-25-2010, 07:56 AM

37,817 posts, read 41,119,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
At least one truck driver was detained at a weigh station because of the new immigration law (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-31836-Dallas-Trucking-Examiner~y2010m4d23-At-least-one-truck-driver-was-detained-at-a-weigh-station-because-of-the-new-immigration-law - broken link)

No matter what side you find yourself on this issue, I haveto ask what this will lead to?
"The driver was said to have been an American citizen."

Don't you think it's irresponsible journalism to run with a story before you have facts?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"The driver was said to have been an American citizen."

Don't you think it's irresponsible journalism to run with a story before you have facts?
If a competent authority states something to be a fact, a reporter's only responsibility is to report that the authority said that, and that is what was done in this case. A reporter MAY go further and investigate the particulars, but does not need to in accordance with responsible journalism. Reporters don't need to keep on proving that Columbus discovered America.

The man was determined to be a US citizen by proper authorities, but had been detained for his failure to prove that. The news story neither stated nor implied anything other than that. It is not incumbent on the reporter to independently verify that the man was a US citizen. The reportage was that he was detained, and then found to be in compliance by responsible authorities, who stated that fact to the reporter. The reporter, in the good CYA tradition, did not report his US citizenship as a fact, because that fact had not been verified by the reporter. This was journalistic responsibility by the book.

Don't worry, there is plenty of irresponsible journalism going around. If the US government says something, the press reports it without comment. But if the Iranian government says something, it is appended with "It could not be independently verified", or "US officials could not confirm the report". Independent verification consists of "somebody in Washington said so". How naive.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-25-2010 at 08:25 AM..

Old 04-26-2010, 01:23 AM

731 posts, read 1,582,874 times
The people in Arizona are plagued with the crossing of illegal immigrants. The drug gangs located in the northern area of Mexico are armed better than their (Mexico's) police and military and this is a threat to the safety of all Americans if they are not stopped from coming into the US. These drug cartels already have located in Indian Reservations in the southwest, and other places. In Oklahoma, two weeks ago the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics confiscated 8 pounds of meth and there were 13 pages of seized stolen or items purchased with drug money. I say this because individuals usually don't own 13 welders, 34 guns from small caliber pistols to shotguns, saws of every kind, i.e. concrete saws, circular, jackhammers, just items too numerous to mention. That was just one bust. But now the government(we the tax payers) have to pay for incarceration, medications if necessary, and due process and subpoeanes, yada yada.
I believe the intent of the new immigration law is to prevent this situation from getting worse. The Federal Government has not done anything with any continuity to stop these criminals from entering this country. Lets see, what did the government do to stop illegal immigration, build a mile long fence? That was helpful.
Since the Patriot Act was enacted, warrantless search and seizure has been going on, people aready get their door kicked in, telephones tapped, and if a police person stops you for a tag light out, he/she can search your vehicle if he "feels" he is in danger. This is nothing new folks, but it is finally directed at an element that needs to be under surveillance. It will take the political handcuffs off police and let them at least attempt to stop illegal immigrants because it will be a crime to be an illegal.
I am glad to see someone taking a stand, and I hope the bleeding hearts in government don't blow this one.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:33 AM

18,271 posts, read 14,472,083 times
Actually, since I don't think this law is going to go away at any time, I just hope that since latinos are going to be targeted, that everyone do their part for the country and make the law a little bit more equal. Instead of only latinos getting targeted, I am hoping that every single race gets asked to show their birth certificate. If a cop stops anybody, latino, black, asian, anglo, middle eastern, anybody, that a birth certificate be produced. I don't think any other race will have a problem with complying since many have said they wouldn't. This will eliminate the need to be profiling, and american latinos won't feel targeted.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:37 AM

When the day comes that I have to carry my passport to walk to the corner store, I will keep on going with my passport until I am across the border, and I will not come back. There are plenty of free countries in the world to live in, when this one no longer is.

This plan will do the trick, though. The illegal Mexicans come here for money. When they want to live in a free country, they will go back to Mexico.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:39 AM

216 posts, read 669,043 times
I live in a city that has illegals, but not just Mexicans. We have illegals from Poland, Ireland, Russia, the former Yugoslavia and other countries. What Arizona is doing would never work here. Many of our illegals are blue eyed blondes and look like fashion models.

They work in construction, bartending, restaurants, nannies, carpenters, house painters, hair stylists etc.

Carrying a birth certificate which is a 8x11 piece of paper is stupid. Still think a national ID for all citizens is a much better option.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:41 AM

18,271 posts, read 14,472,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When the day comes that I have to carry my passport to walk to the corner store, I will keep on going with my passport until I am across the border, and I will not come back. There are plenty of free countries in the world to live in, when this one no longer is.

I agree .Nobody should have to go through this. But it seems like America is becoming a place where people are constantly being monitored.

Last edited by temptation001; 04-26-2010 at 01:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates