Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:39 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
At least one truck driver was detained at a weigh station because of the new immigration law (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-31836-Dallas-Trucking-Examiner%7Ey2010m4d23-At-least-one-truck-driver-was-detained-at-a-weigh-station-because-of-the-new-immigration-law - broken link)
This was not done because of the new law on the books. The reporter needs to get his/her head out of the sand and report the facts as they are.

This was done by ICE, not the state or local police.

I refuse to read trash being reported as facts by idiot reporters.

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 11:48 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
This was not done because of the new law on the books. The reporter needs to get his/her head out of the sand and report the facts as they are.

This was done by ICE, not the state or local police.

I refuse to read trash being reported as facts by idiot reporters.

busta
"A representative at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) returned 3TV’s calls after researching the incident and she said this was standard operating procedure.
The agents needed to verify Abdon was in the country legally and it is not uncommon to ask for someone's birth certificate. She also said this has nothing to do with the proposed bill or racial profiling."

Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Arizona News

Old 04-27-2010, 11:49 AM

442 posts, read 965,264 times
[quote=Memphis1979;13887671]I don't have to get used to living in a country, where I have to walk on egg shells, lest big brother comes looking for me.

If thats America, then my country is dead to me.[/quote]
If you are here legally you will not have anything to worry about. That statement sounds like you immigrated from Iran or somewhere over there. I could never think of my America like that, I think you need to move out of the country that is dead to you. Arizona is trying to fix something terribly wrong. There are going to be a lot of people who will be stopped, detained, or something they don't like done that is part of trial and error until something comes along that will work and let Americans stay here that have legally done so. If I am stopped I will have proof [passport] that this is my America.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:01 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
These are things the Federal gov. refuses to do. That is why Arizona came up with the bill. Now they are able to impose some of these safeguards within their state. Have you read the bill?
Yep,

And the only part I have a problem with, is the one that says an officer can detain you, search you, on the suspicion that you are an illegal alien.

That part is unconstitutional, and it will likely be overturned.

If the bill had specified how to determine if someone is illegal, or said that you could only check during a traffic stop, or during the course of an investigation, I'd have no issues with the wording.

Its too openly worded, and thats an issue.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
If you are here legally you will not have anything to worry about. That statement sounds like you immigrated from Iran or somewhere over there. I could never think of my America like that, I think you need to move out of the country that is dead to you. Arizona is trying to fix something terribly wrong. There are going to be a lot of people who will be stopped, detained, or something they don't like done that is part of trial and error until something comes along that will work and let Americans stay here that have legally done so. If I am stopped I will have proof [passport] that this is my America.
Arizona passed a law, that allows the police to stop me, just because I might look like an illegal alien.

I've asked this question before, how do you determine if someone is an illegal alien, just by looking at them?

The answer, is you can't, its just that simple.

If they want to check someones citizenship status during a traffic stop, or an investigation, good for them.

But pulling people over, or detaining someone who is walking their dog, simply because they "look" like an illegal, is BS. That is not American, its not an American value, and its not legal under my Constitution.

Don't believe me? The Justice department is looking at the best way to file suit, the mayor of Phoenix AZ is filing suit against it, and entire states and cities are looking at the possibility.

My country is doing just fine, I said what I said, because if its upheld, this is no longer the land of the free, and thats not the America I was born in.

Yeah, I'm a natural citizen, born in West Tennessee. You'll find out one thing real quick about people where I come from, we don't like big brother looking over our shoulder. Thats regardless if we are legal or not.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
LOL...If that was true there would be 1,000's of Real Obama birth certificates out there... Have you been smoking some of the South Texas loco weed?

Now Mr. Know it all, why aren't there 1,000's of Real Obama birth certificates out there? After all it is the law! Even better why don't YOU get us a copy and post it here...
Because, in most jurisdictions, the actual original birth certificate is not issued. Instead, a document is issued officially states the particulars that can be found in the original birth certificate. Every agency that requires a birth certificate accepts the now standardized form, which fulfills all the statutory requirements. When a "birth certificate" is required, it can be satisfied with a certificate that such a document exists.

The simple fact, that rises above all your irrelevant and slfl-serving obfuscations, is that anyone can readily obtain the document that passes the need for a birth certificate, for any person.

In some states, the issuing of birth certificates has been taken over by the state, and in some states it remains with the county. I have a certified true copy of my original birth certificate, issued by the county in which I was born. Even the signature of the attending physician is on there. It was issued 20 years ago, and I still have it. I was not born in Hawaii, so I have no idea what their process is like, nor what kind of document they provide when a "birth certificate" is requested.

The good news is, if Obama ever sets foot in Arizona, Sheriff Joe's jackbooted nazi pigs can throw the president in the Maricopa County Jail with bread and water, until he produces the "birth certificate" that you idiots want.

Meanwhile, please feel free to turn every single thread into an Obama bash in order to bore us all with your personal pet peeves and blind hatred, no matter how unrelated it is to the subject matter at hand. Your unparallelled skill at insulting people with witty quips has been enjoyed by all, for its general hilarity, and we all recognize your razor-sharp repartee. Wow. Loco weed. You should be on the Comedy Channel. So we could turn you off.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-27-2010 at 12:44 PM..

Old 04-27-2010, 12:46 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yep,

And the only part I have a problem with, is the one that says an officer can detain you, search you, on the suspicion that you are an illegal alien.

That part is unconstitutional, and it will likely be overturned.

If the bill had specified how to determine if someone is illegal, or said that you could only check during a traffic stop, or during the course of an investigation, I'd have no issues with the wording.

Its too openly worded, and thats an issue.
Memphis, read the bill. It does and the bill has been copied/pasted for you twice. Officers can detain and check your legal status IF/WHEN you are being stopped or arrested for an offense. They determine if your illegal by being allowed to check with the federal database. In other states if you are pulled over in a traffic stop the officer is NOT allowed to check your legal status. Now in Arizona they are. The bill does NOT allow officers to randomly drag someone out of taco bell and demand to see "papers".

Old 04-27-2010, 01:00 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"A representative at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) returned 3TV’s calls after researching the incident and she said this was standard operating procedure.
The agents needed to verify Abdon was in the country legally and it is not uncommon to ask for someone's birth certificate. She also said this has nothing to do with the proposed bill or racial profiling."

Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Arizona News

Read the first part of the story from the reporter.

"A truck driver was detained at an Arizona weigh station yesterday because of the new immigration law that is due to go into effect."

At least one truck driver was detained at a weigh station because of the immigration law (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-31836-Dallas-Trucking-Examiner~y2010m4d23-At-least-one-truck-driver-was-detained-at-a-weigh-station-because-of-the-new-immigration-law - broken link)

The reporter is not doing his/her job because this person was not stopped because of the new law on the books nor were they stopped by the state of Arizona, he was stopped and detained by ICE.

Like I said, until this reporter does his/her job of reporting the news correctly I consider it trash reporting.

busta

Old 04-27-2010, 01:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN ]
There's the rub. "Reasonable suspicion" is not a brand new concept that suddenly popped up in this case. The courts have been ruling for decades, centuries, on reasonable suspicion. The police cannot enter your home unless they have reasonable suspicion, and they need to get a judge to agree that there is reasonable suspicion to get the necessary warrant to do so. In other words, the standard for reasonable suspicion is set pretty high.

Are we to believe that an Arizona judge would issue a warrant for the police to enter a home to demand papers, merely because the occupants of the house appeared to be of Hispanic descent? That is the test.

Quote:
Memphis, read the bill. It does and the bill has been copied/pasted for you twice. Officers can detain and check your legal status IF/WHEN you are being stopped or arrested for an offense.
In the case of the truck driver in the OP, what was the offense for which the driver was detained, and thus eligible to be scrutinized for residency status? If officers could confront him in his truck in a routine check and demand papers, why could they not confront him in his home in a routine check and demand papers?

Last edited by jtur88; 04-27-2010 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-27-2010, 01:03 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Quote:
......drag someone out of taco bell and demand to see "papers".
Are you freaking kidding me no self respecting latino would be caught dead in a taco bell much less for an immigration offense. LMMFAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates