Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,270,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The concept of the birth certificate is a joke. I can get anybody's birth certificate for ten bucks and a ten minute wait in line at the courthouse.
The last copy of mine cost $11.00 and they asked for my state DL for ID...that was about 4 years ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 10:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,187,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
This is a different situation. If someone walked into your house and sat down to watch TV, would you expect that you would be forced to let that person stay, even though it's not his house?
OK, I'm going to just blow off your living room TV by saying "This is a different situation". Nobody is coming in my house to watch TV.

If you can use that argument, so can I.

If you want to live in a country where officers can knock on your door in the middle of the night, and make everyone get up out of bed and show their papers, then fine. ("the law is the law".) And I bet your wife would have never wanted to come to this country, if that's they way it was.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
The last copy of mine cost $11.00 and they asked for my state DL for ID...that was about 4 years ago...
You can get ANYbody's birth certificate, but you may have to ID yourself when you request it, and probably fill out a form stating your reason for wanting somebody else's birth certificate. A birth certificate is a public document, and as such, a copy of it is lawfully available to anyone. It canNOT be denied, it is covered by the open-records law. You can get any BC by mail, obviously without needing to identify yourself.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:06 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,803,248 times
Quote:
You can get ANYbody's birth certificate, but you may have to ID yourself when you request it, and probably fill out a form stating your reason for wanting somebody else's birth certificate. A birth certificate is a public document, and as such, a copy of it is lawfully available to anyone. It canNOT be denied, it is covered by the open-records law. You can get any BC by mail, obviously without needing to identify yourself.
Is'nt that what the birthers are after? LOL

Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,640,379 times
Quote:
OK, I'm going to just blow off your living room TV by saying "This is a different situation". Nobody is coming in my house to watch TV.

If you can use that argument, so can I.

If you want to live in a country where officers can knock on your door in the middle of the night, and make everyone get up out of bed and show their papers, then fine. ("the law is the law".) And I bet your wife would have never wanted to come to this country, if that's they way it was.
How different is it really? Your home is a place that others don't belong unless they have gone through the approval process to be invited in (you having invited them, in this case)- it's the same as coming here to the US. To come as a visitor the person needs to get approved for a travel visa, and to come here to live the person needs to get one of any number of legal residence forms, and eventually a green card. We really need to enforce those rules- both for newcomers and also with those who are alredy here ilegally.
My wife comes from a place where rules like this are strict and people can and do get checked for legal status on a random basis, that is the least of the worries where she came from and nobody really cares. After all, those who are there legally have nothing to fear- it's only those who are ilegal who need to worry. So no, even if it were like that here she would not mind.
However I must add I am not saying we should be pounding on doors in the middle of the night to check legal status. That is a ridiculous paranoid idea to conjur up fear in everyone- what we need to do is make it legal for documents to be checked by police in certain situations. Yes, there are problems with cops who are racist and that needs to be addressed somehow- and we need to iron out a good way to do this because Arizona's new law is a bit too vague- but it's a step in the right direction, just needs modification.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:16 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,803,248 times
This law is a grandstanding measure. It has no more teeth than any federal law. That is all.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Some of you have complaints about these new laws, but no solution. So, what are your solution offerings for the issues Arizona has with illegal immigration?
Make the Damn Federal Government do its job... Problem solved....

Get people like Nancy and Harry and McCain and the list goes on to the oval office.. out of office, problem solved..

It's both partys causing this ...

The government stopped listening to "We the People of the United States" years ago..

Old 04-27-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Didnt they already try that amnesty crap in the 80's?
1986, and it didn't fix the problem then and it wont fix it now...after amnesty is given to this 12 to 20 million illegals, we will just start the count over again...

Old 04-27-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
How different is it really? Your home is a place that others don't belong unless they have gone through the approval process to be invited in (you having invited them, in this case)- it's the same as coming here to the US. To come as a visitor the person needs to get approved for a travel visa, and to come here to live the person needs to get one of any number of legal residence forms, and eventually a green card. We really need to enforce those rules- both for newcomers and also with those who are alredy here ilegally.
My wife comes from a place where rules like this are strict and people can and do get checked for legal status on a random basis, that is the least of the worries where she came from and nobody really cares. After all, those who are there legally have nothing to fear- it's only those who are ilegal who need to worry. So no, even if it were like that here she would not mind.
However I must add I am not saying we should be pounding on doors in the middle of the night to check legal status. That is a ridiculous paranoid idea to conjur up fear in everyone- what we need to do is make it legal for documents to be checked by police in certain situations. Yes, there are problems with cops who are racist and that needs to be addressed somehow- and we need to iron out a good way to do this because Arizona's new law is a bit too vague- but it's a step in the right direction, just needs modification.
What do you mean, "have nothing to fear". The trucker in the OP had plenty to fear, and he was here legally.

I live in a town that has plenty of illegal aliens, and a more than 50% Hispanic population, and the so-called illegal alien problem is a "ridiculous paranoid idea to conjur up fear" if I ever saw one. Seventeen illegal aliens died horrible deaths one day in this town, because of conjured up fear, and there is an official monument here in their memory.

Why not, then, place your priority on ironing out the racist cops, before making a "step in the right direction" right into their hands and giving them unrestrained power?

Last edited by jtur88; 04-27-2010 at 11:49 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
LOL...If that was true there would be 1,000's of Real Obama birth certificates out there... Have you been smoking some of the South Texas loco weed?

Now Mr. Know it all, why aren't there 1,000's of Real Obama birth certificates out there? After all it is the law! Even better why don't YOU get us a copy and post it here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates