Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 06:11 PM

367 posts, read 1,024,195 times

Advertisements

At least one truck driver was detained at a weigh station because of the new immigration law (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-31836-Dallas-Trucking-Examiner~y2010m4d23-At-least-one-truck-driver-was-detained-at-a-weigh-station-because-of-the-new-immigration-law - broken link)

No matter what side you find yourself on this issue, I haveto ask what this will lead to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 06:16 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,321,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
At least one truck driver was detained at a weigh station because of the new immigration law (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-31836-Dallas-Trucking-Examiner%7Ey2010m4d23-At-least-one-truck-driver-was-detained-at-a-weigh-station-because-of-the-new-immigration-law - broken link)

No matter what side you find yourself on this issue, I haveto ask what this will lead to?
Unfortunately in the world we live in today, it is the price we pay for safety. We need it, even though it may or may not be viewed as fair or just. I wouldn't complain if I were detained because I know they are trying to assure safety. Not that I would like it mind you, but I would still understand. I think everyone should get a passport card, it looks like a driver's license at have on them at all times. I'm not sure I understand the whole issue this driver faced, so there could be more than that and so take it with a grain of salt what I am trying to say.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:19 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Unfortunately in the world we live in today, it is the price we pay for safety. We need it, even though it may or may not be viewed as fair or just. I wouldn't complain if I were detained because I know they are trying to assure safety. Not that I would like it mind you, but I would still understand.
Exactly the wrong attitude.

Lots of other ways to stop illegal immigration, rather than detaining American citizens for no reason, other than they look different.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Exactly the wrong attitude.

Lots of other ways to stop illegal immigration, rather than detaining American citizens for no reason, other than they look different.
That is what it is coming to, unfortunately. And, I personally don't think it is the wrong attitude. I think we have to get used to living in a different world.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
That is what it is coming to, unfortunately. And, I personally don't think it is the wrong attitude. I think we have to get used to living in a different world.
I don't have to get used to living in a country, where I have to walk on egg shells, lest big brother comes looking for me.

If thats America, then my country is dead to me.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
The new Arizona law is tantamount to requiring every American to carry proof of legal status at all times. If I were a cop, I would automatically stop every single car with Arizona plates, and take everyone in the car to jail if they could not prove their US citizenship or immigration status on the spot. I wouldn't care if he is the Governor of Arizona and his grandchildren---everybody goes to jail until they can prove their status on paper. If he complained, I'd just say "Be careful what you wish for".

Quote:
I wouldn't complain if I were detained because I know they are trying to assure safety.
Please explain to me how you think this is a safety issue. How does it protect MY safety when YOU are thrown in jail for going to your mailbox to get your mail, forgetting you birth certificate and photo ID..

You'll quickly change your mind about not caring about being detained, when you spend a few days in jail and lose your job and pay thousands of dollars in fines for leaving your house with your wallet in your other pants.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-24-2010 at 06:49 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 06:52 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The new Arizona law is tantamount to requiring every American to carry proof of legal status at all times. If I were a cop, I would automatically stop every single car with Arizona plates, and take everyone in the car to jail if they could not prove their US citizenship or immigration status on the spot. I wouldn't care if he is the Governor of Arizona and his grandchildren---everybody goes to jail until they can prove their status on paper. If he complained, I'd just say "Be careful what you wish for".

Please explain to me how you think this is a safety issue. How does it protect MY safety when YOU are thrown in jail for going to your mailbox to get your mail, forgetting you birth certificate.
It reminds me of times in Poland during communist rule where anyone anytime could be ID by the cops.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Please explain to me how you think this is a safety issue. How does it protect MY safety when YOU are thrown in jail for going to your mailbox to get your mail, forgetting you birth certificate and photo ID..

You'll quickly change your mind about not caring about being detained, when you spend a few days in jail and lose your job and pay thousands of dollars in fines for leaving your house with your wallet in your other pants.
First off, I really don't think you will be picked up going to your mailbox.
I really don't know what the answer is. I understand what they are trying to do, but I just don't know what the correct way to handle it is. Didn't say I did. I said if I were stopped/detained and questioned I would understand what they were trying to do. Didn't say it is necessarily THE way to control immigration. I am simply stating I acknowledge there is a problem and they are trying to control it. What IS the best way to control immigration in your opinion? You didn't offer one here.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
First off, I really don't think you will be picked up going to your mailbox.
I really don't know what the answer is. I understand what they are trying to do, but I just don't know what the correct way to handle it is. Didn't say I did. I said if I were stopped/detained and questioned I would understand what they were trying to do. Didn't say it is necessarily THE way to control immigration. I am simply stating I acknowledge there is a problem and they are trying to control it. What IS the best way to control immigration in your opinion? You didn't offer one here.
The law gives law enforcement the right, to check your papers whenever, however, and for whatever reason they want.

The law just says "reasonable" as the reasoning for checking. Reasonable is a relative term, and means something different to everyone.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:59 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,439,063 times
This law is a problem since it violates civil rights. People are going to be stopped for whatever reason, whenever, if they look "foreign", or something. I could be driving around Arizona one day minding my own business, in a hurry to get to the office, but not speeding, when suddenly a police car stops behind me asking me for my papers. I am a US citizen, I don't have to show anybody any papers. certainly no random cop who is rascist. You just know the rascist cops are going to be power- tripping. This is profiling and it is unjust. If the country is in such bad shape with too much illegal aliens, then the government should come up with an idea on how to stop them from getting in, not go and target US citizens because of their lack of brains. US citizens are not at fault because the government can't think outside the box. This shouldn't be an issue that the civilians have to deal with. What are they going to do next, pass a bill where if you (a civilian) don't go watch the border every other Friday, they will come and get you? What the hell are the armed forces for? Why are we paying taxes?

The senator clearly crossed the line on this bill, and for that I am going to stop vacationing in Arizona from now on, so that maybe she can get an idea that this is going to affect Arizona fiscally, if enough people do it. I have no problem with the poor people in Arizona, but the senator needs to get the f out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates