Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2020, 11:16 AM

57 posts, read 51,385 times

Advertisements

That corner has really changed in the past few years, will be exciting when Carroll builds his project on that corner. More residential downtown is needed for sustained growth going forward. I only wish there were some options to buy and not just rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 02:21 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mh_85 View Post
That corner has really changed in the past few years, will be exciting when Carroll builds his project on that corner. More residential downtown is needed for sustained growth going forward. I only wish there were some options to buy and not just rent.
I agree. The 12-story AC Hotel which will be built across the street from Project Slugger is really going to change that corner. It will be taller than Project Slugger. Obviously the Pandemic will affect the timeline but if it takes 11 or 12 months to build, Carroll may still stick with his timeline to start construction by the end of this year. Hopefully by the end of 2021, this pandemic will be over to the point where business and leisure travel is back to normal. But when you look at ballpark development statewide, Durham and Greensboro are certainly leading the way. Covid-19 is really depressing because it affects downtown activity and nightlife. Hopefully this will be over sooner than later.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:20 PM

511 posts, read 511,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
With the talk of removing confederate monuments across the south, I couldnt help but recall the two big historic hotels in Greensboro and Winston-Salem which were demolished decades ago. The names of both bore names connected with the Confederate south. In Winston-Salem it was the Robert E. Lee Hotel named after a Confederate general. In Greensboro it was the King Cotton Hotel. King Cotton was a term used by successionist who supported cotton and the slavery used to pick it. Both hotels are gone and other buildings built in their places. In Greensboro the News and Record replaced the King Cotton Hotel which will soon be demolished itself for a large mixed-use development. I've always wondered who Lee Street in Greensboro was named after. Was it Robert Lee? A number of year ago Lee St/High Point Rd was renamed Gate City Blvd.
I've heard that Lee Street was named after a black store owner in Warnersville, but no one seems to be able to confirm one way or another.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:03 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
I stayed at the Hyatt last week. WIll be living nearby until August. Will take many photos of that corner.

Crazy to think all that development is going up. Thenew Bellameade apartments are very nice alongside the Neiwsh Greenway Coplexes. Nice job.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:40 PM

171 posts, read 159,250 times
Welcome to the city !! Yeah trying to find a place to buy downtown now

Old 07-08-2020, 08:10 PM

Wow! Nice aerial. Just wait until the 12-story AC Hotel and eventually the office tower is built across the street! Greensboro's skyline will REALLY get a nice bump. I am very impressed by what is happening around the ballpark.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-08-2020 at 08:31 PM..

Old 07-08-2020, 08:24 PM

241 posts, read 238,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Wow! Nice aerial

Great shot! That angle will really be impressive when Roy Carroll's project is finished.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:11 PM

Westin website says the Westin Greensboro will open in 2021 now. But has the hotel been redesigned? I ask because I know the city said it was building a 5-story deck instead of a 6- story deck and to cut cost the deck will have a less elaborate design. The redesigned rendering shows the changes in the deck. The hotel has more glass. The hotel design is better but still a little plain. I'm a little disappointed in the latest deck design. But I guess it was a better trade off to have a slightly better looking hotel. But at the very least the portion of the deck beneath the hotel should have blended in with the hotel. Hopefully the actual deck will look a little better particularly the street level.

https://www.westingreensboro.com/

The old design........

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-08-2020 at 10:41 PM..

Old 07-09-2020, 05:58 AM

57 posts, read 51,385 times
Default Westin Updated

Encouraging sign to see they have updated the design (another sign of life for the project). I agree, the deck is a downgrade, but I'm fine with that as long as they keep street level retail. Anything to give life (and a reason) to be on Davie Street.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mh_85 View Post
Encouraging sign to see they have updated the design (another sign of life for the project). I agree, the deck is a downgrade, but I'm fine with that as long as they keep street level retail. Anything to give life (and a reason) to be on Davie Street.
Here is a way to make lemonade out of a lemon. Put up an artistic screening system on the deck and maybe include a night time lighting effect. This could have a greater impact than just a better designed deck architecturally.

Some examples

The Eugene Street Parking deck going up gets a pass because future street development will hide the deck.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-09-2020 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point