Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2021, 06:21 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times

Advertisements

A little downtown celebrity history that many people aren't aware of. Actor Charlton Heston , known for his roles in the Ten Commandments and Planet of the Apes, got married in downtown Greensboro at Grace Methodist Church in 1944 which borders the new parking deck / Carroll South of the Ballpark. Heston went into the service and was stationed at a base training camp off Summit Avenue. Remnants of that base which was a major army training base during World War II still exists. Some of the buildings are now warehouses, auto shops and manufacturing hubs. Charlton Heston's marriage license hangs in the Guilford County Courthouse today.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-25-2021 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 09:35 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times

Old 05-27-2021, 09:43 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Whats that second one?

Old 05-27-2021, 11:38 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Whats that second one?
The huge east Bailey village, near the underconstruction a&t research building

Old 05-28-2021, 07:22 PM

678 posts, read 496,592 times
Quote:
I went to a Grasshoppers game a week or two ago now. I think opening night? It was opening night..

The stadium is gorgeous. The view from the stadium is stunning. I have really cool pics.

I have to say.. the stadium is the nicest AA or AAA stadium ive seen. It's extremely nice, and cheap.

The new Polar Park in Worcester MA that was just completed this month, .. well .. absolutely sucks. Greensboro blows a brand new AAA stadum that cost 3x as much to make.. to shreds. Greensboro really has something special here!

To boot, the beer is cheap. I cant drink beer cause fcking COVID made my smells and tastes all off... 12/10
Just think.... the stadium is a Single A ballpark... it was a Low Single A park last year. I know it was built for AA specifications, but that day will probably never come. I can't believe the new Worcester park is so underwhelming. I think the Ballpark cost around 20-25 million to build... what was the cost of the one in Worcester?

Old 05-28-2021, 07:57 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
I went to a Grasshoppers game a week or two ago now. I think opening night? It was opening night..

The stadium is gorgeous. The view from the stadium is stunning. I have really cool pics.

I have to say.. the stadium is the nicest AA or AAA stadium ive seen. It's extremely nice, and cheap.

The new Polar Park in Worcester MA that was just completed this month, .. well .. absolutely sucks. Greensboro blows a brand new AAA stadum that cost 3x as much to make.. to shreds. Greensboro really has something special here!

To boot, the beer is cheap. I cant drink beer cause fcking COVID made my smells and tastes all off... 12/10
Just looked up the Worcester park and my gosh talk about a bait and switch. The renderings look fantastic. The brick front looked nice and kinda retro..... Then they built something that looks more like a warehouse... and not the warehouse at Camden Yards.... Just horrendous!

Between Greensboro and Winston-Salem, I prefer W-S's stadium. It's small but feels bigger. I like the bar area that looks like converted bullpen. It feels new (yet it's not THAT new). Greensboro's is nice, but feels like it's showing its age a bit. It's a nice place to catch a game, but not as nice as W-S's IMO.

That said, when Carroll SOB is built, maybe there will be a bar or two right there by the stadium which would give Greensboro's stadium more of a location leg up than it already has from a location standpoint.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:55 PM

Westin

Old 05-29-2021, 08:25 PM

511 posts, read 511,555 times
I like that Winston’s ballpark has some seats in the outfield. That makes it seem like a bigger stadium. I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen a minor league team with seats in the outfield like that, but I’m sure there are. I went when the stadium was new and I thought it was weird they didn’t have a dedicated team store built into the design. They had a merch trailer set up. Seems like a forgotten detail that’s pretty important. I wish it wasn’t built down in that little valley. The downtown view would have been amazing if it were higher up. But that’s all ruined by Bee Safe Storage now anyways. But I do think it’s a nice stadium. I’m excited to see the Grasshoppers and the Dash in the same league again. I want to see those games in both ballparks.

Old 05-29-2021, 09:08 PM

Bourbon Bowl in downtown Greensboro is just about ready to open. They are in the process of hiring staff. Located on the corner of South Elm Street and Lewis Street, not too far from Boxcar Barcade in South End.

The fountain with the fire is pretty cool!

The fan blade on the wall slowly spins.

Here is Boxcar Barcade, downtown Greensboro is really stepping up its entertainment venues. Between these kind of venues, the performing arts center and other attractions, its no wonder downtown is seeing the construction of a number of hotels.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-29-2021 at 10:29 PM..

Old 05-29-2021, 11:11 PM

Also new 4-story bar is open. Each floor has its own bar and theme and rooftop bar. The first level has a craft beer and full cocktail menu bar. The second floor has a more upscale whiskey and bourbon bar then there are the two rooftop levels both having their own bar. And of course there is live music.

One Thirteen Brewhouse and Rooftop Bar.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/mobile/art...c-f38bad7b278e

Lewis & Elm Wine Bar recently opened diagonally across the street from Bourbon Bowl.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-29-2021 at 11:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point