Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2023, 07:52 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
A new smaller arena downtown would be huge IMO. When this topic came up recently I struggled to come up with a great comp that was cost effective but I think I have one, albeit from Canada. Built for $50 million (unsure if that US or Canadian dollars but I'd assume the latter) and seats about 5300, it seems to have good function and is about the right size (I'd personally like something closer to 6500-7000, but even 5500 or so could potentially nab an ECHL team or an SPHL one (or give the Thunderbirds a relocation option in a bigger better arena while giving fans options to actually do something before the game).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meridian_Centre

The soccer team is also a pretty big deal if it comes through. I agree it would be better downtown but I'm unsure if that AND a coliseum could coexist. My guess is that the downtown amphitheater is essentially a replacement for White Oak.
That may be the plan which would be to relocate White Oak to downtown. But having three sports venues downtown (ballpark, soccer stadium and arena) in Greensboro would be huge for downtown and attract more development, hotels and tourism to the center city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 08:47 PM

511 posts, read 511,067 times
I guess that explains the downtown amphitheater proposal.

USL has two leagues. USL Championship and USL League 1. It would be pretty cool to have a USL Championship team here. A League 1 team would also be cool, but less exciting. NCFC that play in Cary were a USL Championship league team but then made a bid for MLS. When Charlotte was awarded a MLS team NCFC decided to relegate themselves to USL League 1. They said it was a “strategic move” but I don’t know why they would do that. The USL League 1 teams are kinda clustered around here. Cary, Charlotte, Greenville SC, Richmond, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Lexington KY, Statesboro GA.

There’s a bigger gap in the Championship League though. There are teams in Charleston, Birmingham, Memphis, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Northern Virginia. Geographically it makes more sense for Greensboro to have a USL Championship team here vs League 1. But given that NCFC has already been established for some time, in a larger market, and have a rich owner, they might jump back up. I have no idea what they are thinking though. They just seem like they SHOULD be higher.

Either way, I’m excited to hear more about this.

Old 04-18-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I guess that explains the downtown amphitheater proposal.

USL has two leagues. USL Championship and USL League 1. It would be pretty cool to have a USL Championship team here. A League 1 team would also be cool, but less exciting. NCFC that play in Cary were a USL Championship league team but then made a bid for MLS. When Charlotte was awarded a MLS team NCFC decided to relegate themselves to USL League 1. They said it was a “strategic move” but I don’t know why they would do that. The USL League 1 teams are kinda clustered around here. Cary, Charlotte, Greenville SC, Richmond, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Lexington KY, Statesboro GA.

There’s a bigger gap in the Championship League though. There are teams in Charleston, Birmingham, Memphis, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Northern Virginia. Geographically it makes more sense for Greensboro to have a USL Championship team here vs League 1. But given that NCFC has already been established for some time, in a larger market, and have a rich owner, they might jump back up. I have no idea what they are thinking though. They just seem like they SHOULD be higher.

Either way, I’m excited to hear more about this.
One thing to note. The Championship League has stadiums between 6,000 and 15,000 seats. The Greensboro stadium would have 6,000 seats so there is still a possibility of a Championship League team here. Its probably over saturated with League 1 teams in this state but I guess we will eventually find out. My hope is that they do consider the downtown sites over a coliseum location which I would believe would be a big mistake if they select the coliseum. A downtown location a part of a mixed-use development will generate more excitement, fans and money for the franchise as the ballpark has done for minor league baseball here. The downtown arena proposal for Greensboro is probably being built for the NBA G League Greensboro Swarm as the anchor tenant and to host concerts and other events. City officials are seeing that downtown is the place to be for these kind of venues. When a new ballpark and performing arts center was first proposed, the coliseum was to be the location for both. Both those plans migrated to downtown.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-18-2023 at 09:06 PM..

Old 05-11-2023, 03:35 PM

Roy Carroll plans restaurant on the 10th floor of the planned AC Hotel called "The Bristol". He plans for construction to begin this fall.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...e-storage.html

Old 05-12-2023, 10:17 AM

385 posts, read 290,474 times
That will be a nice restaurant. Probably will have nice views of the downtown ,all lite up to enjoy looking at ,while u dine! Hopefully will have some mixed price points and not too too high end. We do need more restaurants downtown that's more then average bar food, but also don't need them to be to upscale fine dinning! I'm a burger guy anyway so as long as they got a burger meal for around 15 I'll go

Old 06-05-2023, 06:45 PM

475 posts, read 685,060 times
Curiosity from a Greensboro native who left many years ago: is the downtown Westin still holding at "incomplete parking deck" status?

Old 06-06-2023, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Curiosity from a Greensboro native who left many years ago: is the downtown Westin still holding at "incomplete parking deck" status?
Apparently the permit has not been issued yet to build the hotel on top of the deck. Its still ago but construction has been slow are there were numerous issues that caused some delays. I guess that’s what we are going to have to expect with private/public partnership developments downtown. But downtown construction in Greensboro seems to be slow in general. It took them about three years to construct a 6 story Hampton Inn and Suites downtown and they were pushing dirt with bulldozers for what seemed like years during the construction of the Tanger Center. Yet a building can go up in a few months in other parts of Greensboro.

Old 06-06-2023, 05:36 AM

385 posts, read 290,474 times
Yea, look how fast Chipotle wet up on Battleground and Lidel .. not sure what the issue with downtown is. Unless part of the city council doesn't want these things and are therefore adding unnecessary red tape in retaliation. I feel like at this point there's two different visions downtown Greensboro is trying to achieve and theefor not being cohesive or working together.

Old 06-06-2023, 06:44 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
…I feel like at this point there's two different visions downtown Greensboro is trying to achieve and theefor not being cohesive or working together.
AT LEAST two … probably more. And you know what that means? there is NO VISION! Lol …Such a mess. It’s sad actually that a city of Greensboro’s size just can’t get it together. I’ve seen cities/towns half the size of Greensboro with a more cohesive, active downtown. I was just in a town with about 100k residents that I won’t name, and it had a charming, lively downtown relative to its size. Literally put Greensboro’s downtown to shame.

And it’s like Greensboro doesn’t have any other enticing “districts” that are “destinations” for leisure. It’s all just bleh… something has to give.

But it’s like none of the “power players” seem to care so why should I at this point?

Old 06-06-2023, 07:44 AM

97 posts, read 71,170 times
The power players are currently more concerned about where to plop yet another parking deck downtown, than about understanding and fostering an urban destination that would attract users to said parking deck.

There seems to be a general malaise among both the elected leadership and the city government - things are stale and move slowly, there are few new ideas, and frankly most of the ideas they do have are straight out of the 1990s. This city desperately needs a new generation of leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point