Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2023, 06:31 PM

385 posts, read 291,240 times

Advertisements

[quote=gsoboi78;65142492]The future of Triad Stage in jeopardy. The pandemic hit the regional theater hard and the theater has had a difficult time getting back to prepandemic levels. Some will probably argue the Tanger Center has had an effect on attendance as well. Regional theaters across the country have already permanently closed due to the pandemic.

https://greensboro.com/news/local/tr...home-top-story[/QUOTE

Wait.. I thought they just been undergoing a renovation?!?. Hmm maybe they should of saved the money to get them thru this hard time instead of getting a face lift .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 07:00 PM

6,160 posts, read 7,229,334 times
[quote=chadfromnc_2000;65142859]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The future of Triad Stage in jeopardy. The pandemic hit the regional theater hard and the theater has had a difficult time getting back to prepandemic levels. Some will probably argue the Tanger Center has had an effect on attendance as well. Regional theaters across the country have already permanently closed due to the pandemic.

https://greensboro.com/news/local/tr...home-top-story[/QUOTE

Wait.. I thought they just been undergoing a renovation?!?. Hmm maybe they should of saved the money to get them thru this hard time instead of getting a face lift .
True. If it does close, I'm sure another entertainment attraction will take its place like a stand up comedy club which downtown lacks or other some live music venue. But it would still be a big loss for downtown.

Old 04-14-2023, 10:42 AM

[quote=gsoboi78;65142968]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post

True. If it does close, I'm sure another entertainment attraction will take its place like a stand up comedy club which downtown lacks or other some live music venue. But it would still be a big loss for downtown.
I' wonder how a comedy club would fair these days.. I feel like those are kinda things of the 90s .. "Seinfeld" era... Plus with everyone more sensitive these days , comedy's not what it use to be... I feel like the new generations would rather stay at home and watch tik toks for comedy then be at an actual comedy club for their entertainment...

Old 04-14-2023, 10:46 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,057,095 times
[quote=chadfromnc_2000;65145457]
Quote:

I' wonder how a comedy club would fair these days.. I feel like those are kinda things of the 90s .. "Seinfeld" era... Plus with everyone more sensitive these days , comedy's not what it use to be... I feel like the new generations would rather stay at home and watch tik toks for comedy then be at an actual comedy club for their entertainment...
I don't know if this is the right location for a comedy club (not familiar enough with it), but I think comedy clubs are still generally doing fairly well. I think moving Comedy Zone from its current seedy location to downtown would be a win.

Old 04-14-2023, 11:43 AM

[quote=HRVT;65145485]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post

I don't know if this is the right location for a comedy club (not familiar enough with it), but I think comedy clubs are still generally doing fairly well. I think moving Comedy Zone from its current seedy location to downtown would be a win.
Oh just happend to think... Didn't we have a comedy club downtown at one time . Think it was called idiot box or something like that?!?

Old 04-14-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Oh just happend to think... Didn't we have a comedy club downtown at one time . Think it was called idiot box or something like that?!?
I believe Idiot Box still exists. But I think Idiot Box is more amateur and/or regional whereas Comedy Zone has more national level acts. That said, whether they could co-exist downtown is a fair question. Maybe Comedy Zone being in the south end of downtown would help as opposed to Idiot Box's north side of downtown location.

Old 04-14-2023, 12:09 PM

Comedy Zone does generate a lot of business and being in a downtown location near restaurants, bars and other entertainment would probably make it even more successful. A good location would be in the southern end of downtown on Marty Kotis's property (Tracks Bazaar) where there would be on-site parking. The Idiot Box is an improv comedy club for amateur and very small acts. The Comedy Zone is a larger facility which attracts national professional acts so I don't see the two in competition with one another. The Idiot Box use to be located at the corner of McGee and South Elm Street where Little Brothers Brewing is located today. As far as Triad Stage, if they close it would likely become a live music venue/night club due to the seating set up there but for smaller music events because I think that theater seats a little over 300. Plus there is other event space in there for banquets which could be converted into an on-site restaurant.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-14-2023 at 12:31 PM..

Old 04-16-2023, 10:14 PM

241 posts, read 237,802 times
Forbes has released video of their profile of Roy Carroll. His story really typifies the "American Dream" ideal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPae0k6VeZc

Old 04-18-2023, 06:33 PM

6,000 seat Soccer Stadium considered for downtown Greensboro?

City officials are in discussions with a prospective team ownership group to build a new USL soccer stadium in town. It’s still early in the process, but the city has hired Walter Robbs Architects of Winston-Salem to design a 6,000-capacity stadium. The stadium would be funded with hotel occupancy revenues. While the Greensboro Coliseum Complex is being considered for the site, there are four downtown sites being looked at first for the stadium. USL is the AAA baseball of soccer, one tier under Major League Soccer.

This is actually a pretty big deal. Just one tier under it playing along with cities such as Miami and San Diego. USL Soccer is also nationally televised on stations such as ESPN. In addition this provides another venue to host other tournaments including ACC/NCAA soccer. Hopefully this will get built downtown and not at the coliseum.

The article also talks about the planned indoor music venue and 4,500 seat amphitheater planned for Downtown Greensboro. The city also has a small downtown arena in its downtown revitalization plans as well.

https://venuesnow.com/greensboro-pumps-up-the-venues/

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-18-2023 at 07:29 PM..

Old 04-18-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
6,000 seat Soccer Stadium considered for downtown Greensboro?

City officials are in discussions with a prospective team ownership group to build a new USL soccer stadium in town. It’s still early in the process, but the city has hired Walter Robbs Architects of Winston-Salem to design a 6,000-capacity stadium. The stadium would be funded with hotel occupancy revenues. While the Greensboro Coliseum Complex is being considered for the site, there are four downtown sites being looked at first for the stadium. USL is the AAA baseball of soccer, one tier under Major League Soccer.

This is actually a pretty big deal. Just one tier under it playing along with cities such as Miami and San Diego. USL Soccer is also nationally televised on stations such as ESPN. In addition this provides another venue to host other tournaments including ACC/NCAA soccer. Hopefully this will get built downtown and not at the coliseum.

The article also talks about the planned indoor music venue and 4,500 seat amphitheater planned for Downtown Greensboro. The city also has a small downtown arena in its downtown revitalization plans as well.

https://venuesnow.com/greensboro-pumps-up-the-venues/
A new smaller arena downtown would be huge IMO. When this topic came up recently I struggled to come up with a great comp that was cost effective but I think I have one, albeit from Canada. Built for $50 million (unsure if that US or Canadian dollars but I'd assume the latter) and seats about 5300, it seems to have good function and is about the right size (I'd personally like something closer to 6500-7000, but even 5500 or so could potentially nab an ECHL team or an SPHL one (or give the Thunderbirds a relocation option in a bigger better arena while giving fans options to actually do something before the game).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meridian_Centre

The soccer team is also a pretty big deal if it comes through. I agree it would be better downtown but I'm unsure if that AND a coliseum could coexist. My guess is that the downtown amphitheater is essentially a replacement for White Oak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point