Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2020, 11:08 AM

569 posts, read 342,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Seems like he wanted more of a business brand hotel to compliment the Hyatt Place across the street. Aloft and AC are different models and business has been so good at the Hyatt Place, the AC Hotel will be an extension of that but more upscale. Honestly whether its AC or Aloft I'm happy. Both are in the same mid level upscale tier. The height has also been increased and will be taller than Project Slugger. With the Westin, that makes two hotels being built downtown at 12 stories.

Carroll also mentions construction on the hotel phase of Carroll South of the Ballpark will begin before the end of the year. Because of the rebranding and height change, the design will likely change as well. Construction on the city deck behind the hotel site is currently under construction so it will be completed in time for the AC hotel opening. Very exciting!
I agree, either Aloft or AC would be great IMO. There are so many different hotel brands that I get them all confused. The way things are going, Roy may beat the other new hotels under construction, or at least not be too far behind. That ballpark area will be a jewel once everything gets built out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 11:19 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,646,122 times
The development needs a better name than "Carroll South of Ballpark". For real.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:35 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
The development needs a better name than "Carroll South of Ballpark". For real.
Carroll SOB.

I agree aswell. Interesting that the hotel doubled in height, 6 stories would have been disappointing, but 12 is perfect for that area, if this extra height trend continues, we could potentially see height added to the 20 story tower portion, there is greater demand for more vertical projects downtown, as shown with project slugger(originally shortened to 6 stories, but demand increased it back to 9, and now the Aloft’s 6 stories to AC’s 12.

I remember only several years ago, Charles aris four story downtown had the tag line “Going Vertical”
How times have changed.

In terms of design I guess it will be this.

I hope they add more flair though.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:04 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
10 years ago anything over 6 floors, new construction, would have been a stretch. Momentum is building and projects are now getting larger in scale. I would hope Carroll will improve the hotel design. The Aloft did look a little plain. Hopefully something striking as the AC Hotel design in uptown Charlotte. Its time we get away from "safe" and ordinary architecture.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:26 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
Guessing this would have been the final design. Very ugly, very suburban.

I hope the AC’s final render is similar to this 10 story one in terms of design.

Just add two floors to this design and call it a day.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:55 PM

511 posts, read 511,555 times
Interesting that he said he wants to see the mountains in Virginia over Project Slugger. First, I think he means the Sauratown Mountains in Stokes and Surry counties. Second, the overall design has got to be different because a view to the north would eventually be blocked by whatever tower goes on the corner. It wouldn't be possible to see over Project Slugger unless something changes or he just means temporarily.

I just hope the hotel design adds some color. I'm so sick of brick and beige.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:22 PM

113 posts, read 111,151 times
Yeah Slugger would block the view of Bull mountain up in Stuart, VA which is to the north, as opposed to the Sauratown mountains which are more to the Northwest. So either he moved the location or he's referring to the wrong range.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:40 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
New and record link. I would say AC is slightly a step above Aloft even though they are in the same tier. (Aloft, AC, Moxy) So the branding change is for the better. Clearly the design of Carroll South is the Ballpark is changing which could be a good thing. I'd like to see Carroll improve the design. But with AC, Carroll can go more contemporary with the design. But I'm glad to see Greensboro's skyline expanding westward ending the linear skyline trend over the past decades.

https://www.greensboro.com/business/...da31d6968.html

Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne..._news_headline

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-10-2020 at 03:45 PM..

Old 03-10-2020, 04:29 PM

171 posts, read 159,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
Guessing this would have been the final design. Very ugly, very suburban.

I hope the AC’s final render is similar to this 10 story one in terms of design.

Just add two floors to this design and call it a day.
I really like the bottom one! I hope this virus doesn't mess up the planned development and the new Tanger center plans for this year.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:41 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
An Aloft seems to be more in line with the vibe of South Elm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point