Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2023, 06:43 AM

20 posts, read 17,046 times

Advertisements

I've done some research concerning tower cranes and hotels being built above a parking garage. I came across this article out of Fayetteville NC which is building a similar structure to the Westin Hotel in Greensboro. They removed the tower crane that built the parking garage and then a much larger crane was going to come in to build the 7 story hotel/office on top of the parking garage. So I believe we will probably see a much taller crane arrive to build the Westin Hotel portion sometime this summer hopefully.

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/ne...ed/4570192007/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 08:06 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,222,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer1976 View Post
I've done some research concerning tower cranes and hotels being built above a parking garage. I came across this article out of Fayetteville NC which is building a similar structure to the Westin Hotel in Greensboro. They removed the tower crane that built the parking garage and then a much larger crane was going to come in to build the 7 story hotel/office on top of the parking garage. So I believe we will probably see a much taller crane arrive to build the Westin Hotel portion sometime this summer hopefully.

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/ne...ed/4570192007/
In this scenario this is good news they are removing the crane because it indicates they will be ready for hotel construction bringing in a larger crane.

Old 06-13-2023, 01:25 PM

20 posts, read 17,046 times
And as I expected news comes about today about the Westin Hotel in downtown Greensboro. "The developers of the Westin Greensboro said they are finalizing design and construction plans so that work can begin on the hotel upon completion of the five story parking deck, according to a Tuesday release. The 180 room upscale hotel at 203 S. Elm St. is planned to include a public restaurant, a rooftop bar and meeting and event spaces."

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...struction.html

We will be seeing a much taller tower crane to construct the hotel portion than the original crane that was at the hotel/deck site. They removed the original tower crane in preparation for the construction of the hotel, which is going to utilize a different tower crane.

Last edited by Yinzer1976; 06-13-2023 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-13-2023, 03:03 PM

171 posts, read 159,016 times
Ah, nice deal sounds good ! Really would love a rooftop bar in Greensboro annoying to have only have that in Charlotte, Asheville, and Raleigh

Old 06-13-2023, 03:26 PM

The most interesting thing about the article is that apparently there was a last minute design change so we could see a better designed hotel. Maybe they have been getting feedback on how poorly designed it was. The article says the final rendering will be released at the time of construction

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-13-2023 at 03:34 PM..

Old 06-15-2023, 09:31 AM

241 posts, read 237,148 times
Big plans for the News and Record site. A developer has a potentially $300 million vision in mind for the site including twin 250,000 square foot commercial buildings and 300-400 apartments.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...-contract.html

Old 06-15-2023, 10:14 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,053,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
Big plans for the News and Record site. A developer has a potentially $300 million vision in mind for the site including twin 250,000 square foot commercial buildings and 300-400 apartments.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...-contract.html
Interesting. I thought that seemed like a good site for the arena. Instead, sounds like in-fill apartments and a pair of 12-18 story office buildings (for the folks who like to talk about height).

I wonder if there will be any ground floor retail involved. Overall, pretty basic (especially since if this moves forward it'll get watered down along the way).

Old 06-15-2023, 10:29 AM

36 posts, read 32,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Interesting. I thought that seemed like a good site for the arena. Instead, sounds like in-fill apartments and a pair of 12-18 story office buildings (for the folks who like to talk about height).

I wonder if there will be any ground floor retail involved. Overall, pretty basic (especially since if this moves forward it'll get watered down along the way).
More information - looks like 500,000 SF of commercial office space (with some non-traditional tenants). They have "strong interest" from four potential tenants. This could be a huge boost for Greensboro - and finally that "thing" we need to catapult us to the next level. The developer has a strong interest downtown and creating a transition neighborhood to meld nicely with Elm St. This will be fun to watch.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...ryan-cos.html?

Old 06-15-2023, 10:34 AM

Wow! Twin 10 story towers for one option

Old 06-15-2023, 11:57 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,053,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIANC View Post
More information - looks like 500,000 SF of commercial office space (with some non-traditional tenants). They have "strong interest" from four potential tenants. This could be a huge boost for Greensboro - and finally that "thing" we need to catapult us to the next level. The developer has a strong interest downtown and creating a transition neighborhood to meld nicely with Elm St. This will be fun to watch.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...ryan-cos.html?
If there are specific tenants that are being lined up and have strong interest, this is a pretty big deal. Until we know who the potential tenants are, it's hard to say the impact here. Not to mention, there's a big difference between interest and actually moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point