Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2019, 10:03 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjack View Post
I checked the website, and this one doesn't have a large entrance in the middle of the first floor retail. I also took my teenaged daughter to a first floor retail store there several months ago, so I have actually been inside the building. I don't recall seeing any large entrances that looked out of place.

From the first floor level, the building looks very cool and pedestrian friendly. From a distance, it looks like a large Soviet Era piece of crap. I have to admit that I don't like "modernist" architecture, so I may be biased. This one is UGLY.

The renderings that I've seen on Carroll's SOB project look very disappointing. He should have been given an opportunity to pursue his original concepts, and the City of Greensboro handled that situation horribly. Maybe he can make chicken salad out of chicken crap. Time will tell. The market will tell.

I do think that his ego (Project 561) may have been a part of the "change in direction" by the City of Greensboro.
The new direction for the site has definitely grown on me. Even though the single tower would have added greater height, the building seemed "cold" and uninviting from a pedestrian point of view. The great thing about Carroll's new plan for the site is that there will still be a tower (20 stories) and the development will still be pedestrian friendly with street level retail stretching a block. Its a win-win for tower fanatics and pedestrian friendly urban development lovers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 10:14 PM

118 posts, read 78,671 times
We'll see. The renderings don't offer a lot of optimism.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjack View Post
We'll see. The renderings don't offer a lot of optimism.
Architecturally it doesn't win any awards but its not a bad design or plan. Its definitely going to add more density to that part of downtown. The 9 story Project Slugger office building is going up across the street from the site where Carroll is building his 20 story office tower which will include a 9 story Aloft Hotel and 6 to 7 story apartments lining Eugene Street. Not to mention the 6 story Carroll at Bellemeade Apartments/Hyatt Place hotel lining Eugene Street East of the ballpark. Alot of midrise and highrise development going up around Greensboro's downtown ballpark similar to what's happening in Durham.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:48 PM

118 posts, read 78,671 times
I am well aware of what his SOB projects includes, and the renderings are uninspiring to say the least. A piece of crap in the making.

The Carroll at Bellemeade is a complete piece of crap, for the reasons previously mentioned. It is way too linear and monolithic. Nobody is building these anymore.

I do think that the Project Slugger will be a beautiful building, and the ballpark is also stunning.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:01 AM

Personally I don't think it looks crappy. Not an amazing design but far from crappy

Old 08-02-2019, 06:45 AM

511 posts, read 511,555 times
In a city full of cookie cutter 3-story brick apartments, Carroll's projects stand out.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
In a city full of cookie cutter 3-story brick apartments, Carroll's projects stand out.
Agreed. I'm glad Greensboro is steering away from the urban brick apartments. Ultimately I'd love to see more modern apartments built of glass and steel.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:21 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv2015 View Post
Hmmm i wonder what he is going to announce !

A big week coming up for Greensboro. So excited about our city’s future. #DGSO #Greensboro #downtowngreensboro

https://twitter.com/roycarrollgso/st...579078144?s=09
I take it that this isn't the big week? It's Friday afternoon and no sign of an announcement.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:50 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,646,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I take it that this isn't the big week? It's Friday afternoon and no sign of an announcement.
I'm guessing he was referring to the Wyndham Championship being in town...

Old 08-02-2019, 11:52 AM

511 posts, read 511,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Maybe it was just this: https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne..._news_headline

It's behind a paywall so I can't see it. But the headline reads: It's official: Carroll and city make land swap .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point