Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2022, 08:11 AM

385 posts, read 290,474 times

Advertisements

[quote=gsoboi78;64404387]I think with the influx of new hotels one could make the case for a large conference center or small convention center downtown. It would certainly help the vitality of the new hotels in the long run and attract more tourism downtown. That leads to more attractions, services, restaurants and more people wanting to live downtown. Downtown's weak point is attracting companies. But that is where the hotels and convention space comes in to play because most staying at the hotels downtown are coming for business related reasons. This could help draw more small to medium sized businesses and eventually larger companies downtown
I def hope a convention center arrives downtown. Im wondering though with all the hotels being built downtown Is their still big footprints left for a large company to come build on downtown? Just hope they don't fill out all the spots with hotels and apts and run out of spots for future big companies to build on!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 09:25 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,055,716 times
[quote=chadfromnc_2000;64405059]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think with the influx of new hotels one could make the case for a large conference center or small convention center downtown. It would certainly help the vitality of the new hotels in the long run and attract more tourism downtown. That leads to more attractions, services, restaurants and more people wanting to live downtown. Downtown's weak point is attracting companies. But that is where the hotels and convention space comes in to play because most staying at the hotels downtown are coming for business related reasons. This could help draw more small to medium sized businesses and eventually larger companies downtown
I def hope a convention center arrives downtown. Im wondering though with all the hotels being built downtown Is their still big footprints left for a large company to come build on downtown? Just hope they don't fill out all the spots with hotels and apts and run out of spots for future big companies to build on!!!
I don't understand this idea about space in downtown Greensboro being at a premium. There's so much surface level parking, a ton of 1-2 story buildings in poor condition, etc. And then there's the N&R site which could probably turn out multiple game changing projects.

Space is a concern in any downtown... Greensboro actually has a lot of space to work with comparatively. This mentality of limited space is part of what's crippling development.

Old 11-06-2022, 01:05 PM

113 posts, read 111,050 times
I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't want a convention center downtown. They take up so much space and need so much parking that I feel like they're better off basically anywhere else.

Old 11-06-2022, 01:27 PM

385 posts, read 290,474 times
[quote=HRVT;64405492]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post

I don't understand this idea about space in downtown Greensboro being at a premium. There's so much surface level parking, a ton of 1-2 story buildings in poor condition, etc. And then there's the N&R site which could probably turn out multiple game changing projects.

Space is a concern in any downtown... Greensboro actually has a lot of space to work with comparatively. This mentality of limited space is part of what's crippling development.
I mean that would be perfect if we did remove the over saturated surface parking lots and 1 -2 stories buildings to make way for corporate offices when the time comes!!! Just hope theres not push back when the time comes. Or downtown will be nothing but brewery's, restaurants, apts and hotels...

Old 11-06-2022, 03:06 PM

676 posts, read 494,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB-CD View Post
I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't want a convention center downtown. They take up so much space and need so much parking that I feel like they're better off basically anywhere else.
You're not the only one. I don't see the need for a city of Greensboro's size to have two convention centers.

Old 11-06-2022, 09:15 PM

378 posts, read 205,799 times
Continue pushing for the Innovation District. Include NCA&T. Wolfspeed. Toyota. Boom.

The Koury Center already owns the convention center space, and is one of the largest in the state.

Old 11-07-2022, 07:47 AM

171 posts, read 159,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
Continue pushing for the Innovation District. Include NCA&T. Wolfspeed. Toyota. Boom.

The Koury Center already owns the convention center space and is one of the largest in the state.
I like this idea. Plus I think having conventions in downtown helps growth. For example, when I go to anime conventions a lot of people work in tech and I have noticed a ton of people have visited a place for the convention and then decided to move there. While that may be a small group I think that could happen with a lot more with larger cons etc... So If they can get some middle-class housing downtown (Like 850 to 1000 a month). And start more density building if we get more people living and working downtown the towers will come.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:11 AM

97 posts, read 71,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB-CD View Post
I'm with you too. In downtown areas, they tend to be giant, dead blocks whose activity is mostly self-contained. And given the arms race in convention centers around the country, it would be a challenge for Greensboro to break into even the third tier of convention-hosting cities. If a private entity wants to build one downtown, fine, but I wouldn't want to see public money spent on a convention center.

I keep saying this, but IMO Greensboro doesn't need any gimmicks, long shots, or out-of-town saviors to improve downtown. A laser focus on dramatically growing the residential population downtown, and improving the public realm to make downtown a better place to live, would eventually bring about all of the other things that people want to see. Retail follows rooftops, so they say, and so would office eventually. Look at South End in Charlotte. Its growth started as mostly residential, but now that it has become a very desirable place to live, the retail and especially office growth is taking off there.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:36 PM

113 posts, read 111,050 times
Yeah, I really don't think downtown needs any more ”big” projects. Twenty years ago the main proposals for downtown revitalization were a downtown ballpark (built soon after), a center city park (built a few years later), a performing arts center (recently completed), a downtown greenway (under construction), and general streetscape improvements (currently being designed). What downtown needs now is to simply fill in all the excessive and often unused or roped off parking lots with housing and retail.

Old 11-07-2022, 07:16 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
I think there is room for two convention centers in the city, however I don't think downtown needs one as large as the Koury. When conventions are held downtown people will be able to walk to hotels, restaurants, attractions and see Broadway shows at the Tanger Center while they are in town as oppose to getting in their rental cars or taxis to go to these place. Not to mention the Amtrak Station would be within walking distance. There is a niche for a smaller convention center between 75,000 and 100,000 square feet. Like the Tanger Center, it would attract out of town travelers to downtown spending more money at restaurants, shops and attractions. This actually creates even more demand for these kind of amenities downtown creating an even more vibrant center city. It also ensures the success of all the new downtown hotels. Downtown conventions also mean out of town travelers stay downtown for multiple days unlike the Tanger Center where travelers just come to see a show one night and then leave. It is not uncommon for cities, even the size of Greensboro, to have more than one convention space.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-07-2022 at 07:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point