Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2022, 06:36 PM

171 posts, read 159,250 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I like the idea of having one there plus it's not on elm street so that nice! I think that would bring more people into the area. Now to get a few more apartments and since it feels like we don't have enough downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 07:01 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv2015 View Post
Yeah, I like the idea of having one there plus it's not on elm street so that nice! I think that would bring more people into the area. Now to get a few more apartments and since it feels like we don't have enough downtown.

I think a big problem is finding suitable land for an influx of apartment projects. Downtown Greensboro is compact with limited available properties. Many available properties are either expensive or have environmental issues or not in the right location for apartments. This is why I stress going vertically taller with apartment projects. 10 to 15 stories.

Old 10-26-2022, 09:12 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think a big problem is finding suitable land for an influx of apartment projects. Downtown Greensboro is compact with limited available properties. Many available properties are either expensive or have environmental issues or not in the right location for apartments. This is why I stress going vertically taller with apartment projects. 10 to 15 stories.
Unless you got rid of Firestone next door too, I don't see how you could possibly have apartments on that site. And I'm sure the Drive-Thru was a major attraction for Starbucks on that site. As mentioned above, it's the competitive advantage they'll have over some of the (better) smaller local coffee shops. But people don't want to live over a drive-thru.

As for high-rise, no... Greensboro should be focusing more on mid-rise type apartments. There's so much surface parking, a bunch of abandoned or poorly utilized buildings, etc that there's really plenty of space to build if Greensboro were to do it correctly.

Weren't the new owners of the Hoppers supposed to be doing a project soon beyond left field of the stadium?

Old 10-27-2022, 08:06 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Unless you got rid of Firestone next door too, I don't see how you could possibly have apartments on that site. And I'm sure the Drive-Thru was a major attraction for Starbucks on that site. As mentioned above, it's the competitive advantage they'll have over some of the (better) smaller local coffee shops. But people don't want to live over a drive-thru.

As for high-rise, no... Greensboro should be focusing more on mid-rise type apartments. There's so much surface parking, a bunch of abandoned or poorly utilized buildings, etc that there's really plenty of space to build if Greensboro were to do it correctly.

Weren't the new owners of the Hoppers supposed to be doing a project soon beyond left field of the stadium?
The problem is downtown Greensboro has no where to grow its residential population to a significant number if all the lots are filled with midrise or low-rise development. We have to look 30 to 40 years down the road and prepare for that. I think its time to go highrise. Development has been gradually getting taller and taller and the demand is there for larger residential development.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:47 AM

97 posts, read 71,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The problem is downtown Greensboro has no where to grow its residential population to a significant number if all the lots are filled with midrise or low-rise development. We have to look 30 to 40 years down the road and prepare for that. I think its time to go highrise. Development has been gradually getting taller and taller and the demand is there for larger residential development.
Sorry, but Greensboro needs to walk before it can run. Frankly, it needs to crawl before it can walk. There's a reason we're not seeing high-rise residential here - the economics don't make sense. And I 100% disagree with your statement that there is nowhere for residential population to grow. Build on every surface parking lot. Abolish exclusive single family zoning. Abolish minimum setbacks and minimum lot sizes. The overwhelming majority of land inside the city limits is zoned for single-family residences only. Then, a significant percentage of that land is wasted on setbacks which make it illegal to build anything on that portion of the property.

Greensboro could double its population within the existing city limits without needing to build higher than 3-4 stories. Greensboro's population density is roughly 2,400 people/ sq. mi. The population density of Charleston proper is roughly 4,800 people/ sq. mi. Would you rather have downtown Charleston, or apartment towers over parking podiums? Is that even a debate? And as a bonus, densifying Greensboro in the manner of Charleston could be done by average people, building wealth in the local community. No need to wait on Roy Carroll or Marty Kotis, or to hope some big out-of-town developer takes an interest in Greensboro.

Old 10-27-2022, 10:24 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thomas View Post
Sorry, but Greensboro needs to walk before it can run. Frankly, it needs to crawl before it can walk. There's a reason we're not seeing high-rise residential here - the economics don't make sense. And I 100% disagree with your statement that there is nowhere for residential population to grow. Build on every surface parking lot. Abolish exclusive single family zoning. Abolish minimum setbacks and minimum lot sizes. The overwhelming majority of land inside the city limits is zoned for single-family residences only. Then, a significant percentage of that land is wasted on setbacks which make it illegal to build anything on that portion of the property.

Greensboro could double its population within the existing city limits without needing to build higher than 3-4 stories. Greensboro's population density is roughly 2,400 people/ sq. mi. The population density of Charleston proper is roughly 4,800 people/ sq. mi. Would you rather have downtown Charleston, or apartment towers over parking podiums? Is that even a debate? And as a bonus, densifying Greensboro in the manner of Charleston could be done by average people, building wealth in the local community. No need to wait on Roy Carroll or Marty Kotis, or to hope some big out-of-town developer takes an interest in Greensboro.
Well put. Downtown is ridiculously full of surface parking. Such a waste of prime space. The space issue isn't about overall footprint... space is just so poorly utilized. The next 30-40 years should be focused on correcting that. From there, concentrate on mid-rise (4-6 story) development.

The idea of building high-rise right now is kind of silly and putting the cart before the horse. On the ballpark side of downtown, I'd love to see some mixed use buildings where the 1st floor or two are restaurants/retail and then the next 3-5 stories are apartments.

But none of that will happen until Greensboro figures out how to get out of its own way. IMO, while Greensboro is being left in the dust by Durham.. They're beginning to be in danger of getting left in the dust by Winston-Salem which has a lot more going on right now.

Old 10-27-2022, 01:33 PM

388 posts, read 291,745 times
So I been venturing out to downtown Winston a lot lately and I gotta say , that as a guy that's 41, I find it has a lot more to offer an adult in that age range. I discovered Vintage sofa bar on my last visit. Had some amazing deviled eggs, crab dip and a crafted cocktail! Great atmosphere. Winston seems to have alot more bars that are more "polished " then what u find here in downtown Greensboro. Greensboro bars seemed more college themed and I feel like that's the clientele they are trying to reach.. which I can't blame them, with all the colleges around..But I really think they need to think about residents that or 30 plus in age . On the topic of more Downton apts.. is there land available to have another complex as big as say, city view, or would the new complexes have to be a bit smaller... Or is there land to have a complex bigger then city view?? Building taller might not be a bad idea for future apt complexes if the foot print isn't that big.. I'd rather see 2 or 3 high rise apt buildings that could house alot, rather then 5 or 6 mini low rise apt buildings. That land could be used for retail !!!

Last edited by chadfromnc_2000; 10-27-2022 at 02:12 PM..

Old 10-27-2022, 02:29 PM

678 posts, read 496,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
So I been venturing out to downtown Winston a lot lately and I gotta say , that as a guy that's 41, I find it has a lot more to offer an adult in that age range. I discovered Vintage sofa bar on my last visit. Had some amazing deviled eggs, crab dip and a crafted cocktail! Great atmosphere. Winston seems to have alot more bars that are more "polished " then what u find here in downtown Greensboro. Greensboro bars seemed more college themed and I feel like that's the clientele they are trying to reach.. which I can't blame them, with all the colleges around..But I really think they need to think about residents that or 30 plus in age . On the topic of more Downton apts.. is there land available to have another complex as big as say, city view, or would the new complexes have to be a bit smaller... Or is there land to have a complex bigger then city view?? Building taller might not be a bad idea for future apt complexes if the foot print isn't that big.. I'd rather see 2 or 3 high rise apt buildings that could house alot, rather then 5 or 6 mini low rise apt buildings. That land could be used for retail !!!

The News and Record site is available.

Old 10-27-2022, 02:42 PM

388 posts, read 291,745 times
I'm really hoping the News and Record site is earmarked for a convention center type outfit! But that def would make a huge apt complex!

Old 10-27-2022, 04:08 PM

113 posts, read 111,151 times
Honestly, I'd love to see them subdivide the lot into smaller blocks by extending the existing surrounding streets through, and maybe put a park in the middle and surround it with mixed used developments with parking underground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point