Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2022, 08:49 PM

378 posts, read 204,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv2015 View Post
I like this idea. Plus I think having conventions in downtown helps growth. For example, when I go to anime conventions a lot of people work in tech and I have noticed a ton of people have visited a place for the convention and then decided to move there. While that may be a small group I think that could happen with a lot more with larger cons etc... So If they can get some middle-class housing downtown (Like 850 to 1000 a month). And start more density building if we get more people living and working downtown the towers will come.
I believe that you misunderstood my post. The Koury Center is not located in downtown, and neither are their conventions. My point is that Greensboro can't support two convention centers, as most cities can't either. Koury is one of the largest convention centers in the state. It would be foolish for someone to open another convention center in downtown Greensboro.

Generally, convention centers are located in a city's downtown business district. In this case, it's located on the I40/85 bypass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 08:28 AM

385 posts, read 288,852 times
Yes a big mistake from the past.. I wonder what Greensboros reasoning was to have it built there and not in downtown area?!? Does anyone have insite on that decision? We don't need 2 conversation centers, what we need is one downtown and the Koury one to close! Is the Koury one even contributing to any of the stores or restaurants in their venecity.. my guess is prob not considering the quality of stores and restaurants in their surroundings... I doubt any of the convention goers are evening stepping foot inside the mall... speaking of the mall. I wonder How much longer it's gonna be around. Will it be around in the 2030s..

Old 11-08-2022, 08:31 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Its tall enough to have some height density and equal to the height of Project Slugger. Honestly I know many were hoping to have something taller but to have a good skyline a city needs buildings that vary in height. We dont want everything being 18 or 20 stories. The AC hotel will clearly be visible from the Wendover Ave bridge at Battleground Ave. I've been looking on the internet at urban AC hotels across the country similar in height and design wise its one of the best and clearly the best looking AC Hotel in its height range in North Carolina. I don't know what architect Carroll used but they did a great job. You should see the one in downtown Atlanta. It looks awful. It's in a building that appears to have been built in the 1970s or 80s.
The one in downtown Atlanta is a renovated Holiday Inn built in the 90s.

Old 11-08-2022, 10:03 AM

378 posts, read 204,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Yes a big mistake from the past.. I wonder what Greensboros reasoning was to have it built there and not in downtown area?!? Does anyone have insite on that decision? We don't need 2 conversation centers, what we need is one downtown and the Koury one to close! Is the Koury one even contributing to any of the stores or restaurants in their venecity.. my guess is prob not considering the quality of stores and restaurants in their surroundings... I doubt any of the convention goers are evening stepping foot inside the mall... speaking of the mall. I wonder How much longer it's gonna be around. Will it be around in the 2030s..
Koury is a private company, and they built their convention center / hotel complex on their land, beside the mall that they own (or owned). The city had no control over that.

Old 11-08-2022, 10:06 AM

68 posts, read 43,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
It's there because Joseph Koury wanted it there.
1. Because he owned 4 seasons mall
2. Downtown was desolate at the time
3. He wasn't interested in its revival

There's no need for another one in GB, especially since the new hotels should have spaces for smaller conventions.

Old 11-08-2022, 10:21 AM

68 posts, read 43,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
Koury is a private company, and they built their convention center / hotel complex on their land, beside the mall that they own (or owned). The city had no control over that.
You beat me to it ...but you're exactly right.

Old 11-08-2022, 10:24 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
Unfortunately at the time the Koury Convention Center was built, a downtown convention center would not have survived. Downtown was dead back in 1990.

Old 11-08-2022, 11:05 AM

385 posts, read 288,852 times
Ahh I guess that's true downtown wasnt anything like it is now... And as a poster mentioned these hotels should have enough space for conventions. I bet a lot of the convention host will want to stay at the new places downtown and host their conventions there, so that will be good for downtown!

Old 11-08-2022, 06:39 PM

171 posts, read 158,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjgso View Post
It's there because Joseph Koury wanted it there.
1. Because he owned 4 seasons mall
2. Downtown was desolate at the time
3. He wasn't interested in its revival

There's no need for another one in GB, especially since the new hotels should have spaces for smaller conventions.
Yeah, I recall looking at the WFMY stories when they were building the 30-story tower and it showed how it was supposed to connect to the mall. But I think he died and whoever took over did nothing lol that I can recall at this point. Honestly, I cant recall the last big event that was held at that convention center atm.

Last edited by Nerv2015; 11-08-2022 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-08-2022, 07:07 PM

676 posts, read 492,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv2015 View Post
Yeah, I recall looking at the WFMY stories when they were building the 30-story tower and it showed how it was supposed to connect to the mall. But I think he died and whoever took over did nothing lol that I can recall at this point. Honestly, I cant recall the last big event that was held at that convention center atm.

Im not sure if it qualifies as a big event, but I drove by there yesterday, and the entire hotel parking lot was full and cars were parked in the mall lot as well. Its been that way for a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point