Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 02:00 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Looks like sections of the new widened part of I-85 between I-385 and Pelham Road will be opening very shortly.
Wednesday AM apparently, from their project update email just sent out:
“Upstate drivers will have a new traffic pattern starting this Wednesday morning as Exits 51A-C from I-85 Southbound to I-385 and Woodruff Road will be shifted north (toward Pelham Road) from their current location by roughly 0.6 miles. Drivers need to use caution driving through this area and follow all new traffic signage and markings.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 03:18 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Odd highway numbers run north to south, even east to west. 385 is a spur into a city (if it was an even first digit it would be a loop, such as 285 in Atlanta), but the north/south east/west doesn't necessarily apply to a spur. One would think that 385 would have a north/south designation, but if it in fact runs east and west, and the locals think of it that way, then it will have an east/west designator. An example is here: 565 originally had a north/south name, but it really runs essentially east and west off I-65, so it was changed to being designated east and west.
I-385 is difficult to label with a N/S or E/W designation because it runs generally from NW to SE from downtown Greenville to Clinton, SC.

I-26 has a similar issue and was initially designated an E/W interstate but once the extension is completed to Kingsport, TN I think the overall route will be more N/S.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:40 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I-385 is difficult to label with a N/S or E/W designation because it runs generally from NW to SE from downtown Greenville to Clinton, SC.

I-26 has a similar issue and was initially designated an E/W interstate but once the extension is completed to Kingsport, TN I think the overall route will be more N/S.
They should of extended I-77 south from Columbia to Charleston and made I-26 from I-77 to wherever a 3-digit interstate. In Columbia you have two East-West interstates, I-20 and I-26 that intersect with each other perpendicularly!

Old 08-12-2019, 05:45 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
One would think that 385 would have a north/south designation, but if it in fact runs east and west, and the locals think of it that way, then it will have an east/west designator. An example is here: 565 originally had a north/south name, but it really runs essentially east and west off I-65, so it was changed to being designated east and west.
Actually for 3di's (3-digit Interstates) the even-odd, east-west, north-south rule doesn't apply, and I don't think it ever did.

3-digit Interstate Highways Primer

An even starting digit (such as I-210 or I-465) means the 3di meets another interstate at both ends (or is a loop). These are usually bypasses or beltway routes.

An odd starting digit (such as I-195) means the 3di meets an interstate highway at only one end. These are usually spurs from a main interstate to a location some short distance away.

The rules for 3di numbers differ from 2di's. First, the "even is east/west and odd is north/south" rule does not apply, because a parent interstate and its 3di often go in different directions. Second, a 3di number is not unique nationwide -- only within the same state.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:44 AM

308 posts, read 269,757 times
On the drive into work this morning I noticed the new exit for 85 South onto 385/Woodruff is open. This has been sorely needed, as so many accidents have happened in the bottleneck for this exit. Good to see the benefits of this project taking shape and nearing completion.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:28 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AginGreer View Post
On the drive into work this morning I noticed the new exit for 85 South onto 385/Woodruff is open. This has been sorely needed, as so many accidents have happened in the bottleneck for this exit. Good to see the benefits of this project taking shape and nearing completion.
Was traffic any better or still backed up?

Old 08-14-2019, 10:28 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AginGreer View Post
When is this thing supposed to be completed?

(What I am about to say is not a complaint, but an observation): Yesterday, it looked as though the project was far from completed, although I thought the project was set to have been wrapped up about now?

Old 08-14-2019, 10:56 AM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times
Drove through at lunch, no backup on 85s but the exit ramp traffic was doing about 25mph tops from the exit entrance to first 385 exit. Not sure if will decrease congestion much until more than 1 exit lane opens, imo. On the other hand having the new exit entrance on a curve in the road may decrease “nice drivers” letting others in last minute, so we’ll see!

Old 08-14-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Was traffic any better or still backed up?
Traffic was flowing smoothly in the exit lane. I could not see the new exit entrance closer to Pelham. Whatever it is will be temporary, as the exit lanes will open up 3-wide when construction is complete.

The old exit is barricaded off. I wonder what all of the broken down trucks and cars will do now that they can't stop in that little strip of gravel between the main lanes and the exit?

Old 08-14-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
When is this thing supposed to be completed?

(What I am about to say is not a complaint, but an observation): Yesterday, it looked as though the project was far from completed, although I thought the project was set to have been wrapped up about now?
Originally I think the project was scheduled to wrap up this fall. Weather and other delays have pushed it into early next year. However, I think most portions of the project will be open to traffic by the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area