Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 PM

425 posts, read 632,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
Your arguments are silly. First, if you take away major employers in any area, it will hurt the area, government is no different. Columbia's job composition is much more diversified than government and education. You may cringe about government but, it is a significant part of the economy in most cities and always will be, always has been. You don't think people in Greenville appreciate the government employee sector in this area? Or appreciate the federal government grants to improve downtown and Falls Park?

As for engineering between Greenville and Charlotte. First, a lot of the firms you mentioned have reduced staff. I know a lot of folks who were eliminated from these companies. As for Charlotte, it has much more than you know, I doubt a fixed income trader with a business degree cares about engineering since he is pulling in $500k+ annually. Charlotte has much more than we do in Greenville, it is laughable that you are trying to compare the cities.
the federal government gave money to improve downtown greenvilel and falls park? I don't think so (I hope not, good grief). I think actually what happened is the city government worked with private corporations in greenville to make the improvements. It would have been more difficult to pull this off in a more liberal town b/c Democrats see corporations as The Great Satan.

People have gotten laid off in every industry in every town in the era of Obama. It isn't some unique problem to Greenville.

All you business guys act like you make more money than you do. I don't think you make more than 100K and it is probably more like 60K. It's funny you are so liberal but you are in business. Capitalism is the devil for anybody else but you kind of mentality. You strike me as one of these guys who wants a big payday without doing much to earn it, a get rich quick n easy type of person.

I'm not sure how Charlotte has more to do than Greenville. You can only do so much in a given amount of time anyway. It might have more restaurants but you can do anything in Greenville that you can do in Charlotte. I can drive 2 hours or whatever it is over to Charlotte for a NFL game or NBA game, not that they have good teams most of the time. I do think the downtown area of Greenville has a better vibe on weekends than Charlotte but it is hard to say Charlotte is superior to Greenville's downtown from a weekend / nightlife standpoint if it is just about eating, drinking and being merry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 07:30 PM

233 posts, read 282,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
the federal government gave money to improve downtown greenvilel and falls park? I don't think so (I hope not, good grief). I think actually what happened is the city government worked with private corporations in greenville to make the improvements. It would have been more difficult to pull this off in a more liberal town b/c Democrats see corporations as The Great Satan.

People have gotten laid off in every industry in every town in the era of Obama. It isn't some unique problem to Greenville.

All you business guys act like you make more money than you do. I don't think you make more than 100K and it is probably more like 60K. It's funny you are so liberal but you are in business. Capitalism is the devil for anybody else but you kind of mentality. You strike me as one of these guys who wants a big payday without doing much to earn it, a get rich quick n easy type of person.

I'm not sure how Charlotte has more to do than Greenville. You can only do so much in a given amount of time anyway. It might have more restaurants but you can do anything in Greenville that you can do in Charlotte. I can drive 2 hours or whatever it is over to Charlotte for a NFL game or NBA game, not that they have good teams most of the time. I do think the downtown area of Greenville has a better vibe on weekends than Charlotte but it is hard to say Charlotte is superior to Greenville's downtown from a weekend / nightlife standpoint if it is just about eating, drinking and being merry.
Yes, the federal government has assisted Greenville in many ways.

You are an interesting read, most of it wrong but, interesting. The best part is you are representing your school in such a fine way, keep it up.

Yes, a lot of business guys make a lot of money, much more than you engineering types.

Charlotte v Greenville......get real dude. You have no idea what you are talking about. I like our downtown but, it is a fraction of what is happening in downtown Charlotte.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:43 PM

411 posts, read 853,640 times
Quote:
First of all, Greer is and always has been redneck island. If you want a vinyl siding house next to a trailer park, Greer is your place.

Here are the main differences between the cities, crime is higher in metro Greenville, people are less educated in Greenville, income levels are lower in Greenville and yet because of the mill hill mentality, folks think they are "blessed" to live here. I have stayed due to family reasons but, this is not a mini Charlotte, it is a big Gaffney.

Greenville has a nice Main Street, a nice park, and will attract some Broadway shows. The locals take this to mean we are cosmopolitan. It is a shallow city without much depth. I would suggest looking at Columbia or Charlotte. A good example is that when a decent band plays at the Simpsonville Amplitheatre, you would think we won the Olympics. Mumford and Sons plays in a ton of small town venues, yet, locals take this as Greenville being big time. Based on the garbage comments you have seen, it is clear that people are playing to the home crowd.
Redneck Island? Hahahaha. I will admit I grew up calling Greer "Grrr" and we were warned not to talk to the locals the time we were visiting for high school football game and won. But I'm an open minded gal and after my mom relocated her small business to downtown Greer, I gave the place a second chance. It has a way to go but they're on the right track.

From the way you talk, I see you've only driven through on 29 lately. For the record, I'm not much into vinyl sided cookie cutter homes. I actually live in a great 1930s apartment with charming period features located only three blocks from downtown. A downtown where I can get a great steak and an Ol' Fashioned. I could get a great steak at Motor Supply Company in the Vista but I couldn't live in walking distance. It was too expensive. It must be all of those better educated, better paid folks driving the prices up. Poor me, I only got a bachelor's degree and worked for the State in a job that paid me a pittance despite the fact I was fulfilling the state's federal obligations.

I'm not saying that Greenville is some cosmopolitan mecca by any stretch of the imagination. I haven't lived here all my life. I'm from Spartanburg originally and I hate it as much as Columbia. I'm here simply because my family is here. If they weren't, I would probably living in Europe...London maybe or perhaps Ireland.

To date, I lived in Charleston, Atlanta, Columbia, and other places. I've traveled the world, so I know what's cosmopolitan and what's not. But I can sleep at night in my Redneck Island and when I leave town, I don't have to worry about coming home to my door kicked in and all my stuff gone.

PS: Are you an argumentative a*s in real life too or just on these boards?

Last edited by oldhousejunkie; 06-28-2013 at 07:55 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, the federal government has assisted Greenville in many ways.

You are an interesting read, most of it wrong but, interesting. The best part is you are representing your school in such a fine way, keep it up.

Yes, a lot of business guys make a lot of money, much more than you engineering types.

Charlotte v Greenville......get real dude. You have no idea what you are talking about. I like our downtown but, it is a fraction of what is happening in downtown Charlotte.
Well pretty sure Clemson blows out USC in every metric including selectivity. Much easier to get into USC if only b/c they got tons more students than Clemson.

All you got to do is look at average salaries and you will find engineers make more on average than business guys. We actually got to do something, not just mooch of of what other people do all day. You can teach anybody how to mooch, I think. Only thing USC is really known for is the business school and that is basically b/c that Darla Moore woman pays for PR to hype it up, b/c business is business at any school. Francis fricking Marioin is just as good for business. It can't offer engineering programs though.

What is so great about Charlotte's downtown? You'd just be hanging out around a bunch of tall office buildings. that doesn't seem like a good vibe. I'd rather hang out at a Falls Park at night than Charlotte, plus it is just going to be easier to park. I'd give Charlotte the strong edge as far as working just b/c you got more restaurant options along the street than Greenville and more people down there but at night and weekends I def. think Greenville is superior.

I am assuming you like Charlotte better b/c of dance clubs and stuff like that. Greenville's nightlife is much more low key which works for me and pretty much anybody over the age of 30. LOL

Old 06-28-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
Redneck Island? Hahahaha. I will admit I grew up calling Greer "Grrr" and we were warned not to talk to the locals the time we were visiting for high school football game and won. But I'm an open minded gal and after my mom relocated her small business to downtown Greer, I gave the place a second chance. It has a way to go but they're on the right track.

From the way you talk, I see you've only driven through on 29 lately. For the record, I'm not much into vinyl sided cookie cutter homes. I actually live in a great 1930s apartment with charming period features located only three blocks from downtown. A downtown where I can get a great steak and an Ol' Fashioned. I could get a great steak at Motor Supply Company in the Vista but I couldn't live in walking distance. It was too expensive. It must be all of those better educated, better paid folks driving the prices up. Poor me, I only got a bachelor's degree and worked for the State in a job that paid me a pittance despite the fact I was fulfilling the state's federal obligations.

I'm not saying that Greenville is some cosmopolitan mecca by any stretch of the imagination. I haven't lived here all my life. I'm from Spartanburg originally and I hate it as much as Columbia. I'm here simply because my family is here. If they weren't, I would probably living in Europe...London maybe or perhaps Ireland.

To date, I lived in Charleston, Atlanta, Columbia, and other places. I've traveled the world, so I know what's cosmopolitan and what's not. But I can sleep at night in my Redneck Island and when I leave town, I don't have to worry about coming home to my door kicked in and all my stuff gone.

PS: Are you an argumentative a*s in real life too or just on these boards?
No need for name calling, I simply responded with my opinion. One of my opinions is that Greer is not and has never been a low crime, desirable area. Sorry if that offends you. Yes, Hwy 29 is a dump as is most of the Greer area. Greenville has crime Rates equal to or higher than Columbia, that is a fact. If the OP is interested in understanding the areas, it does them no good to have folks masking the facts. Again, sorry if that offends you.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:20 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
SCANA is no big get, you going to have a power company based in or near any major metro. Hartsville has Progress/Duke Energy nuke plant right there on the lake. Every metro or even small town has a hospital.
All metros are not home to the headquarters of a Fortune 1000 energy company, so that is incorrect. And I said hospitals (in the plural). Healthcare is more of a ubiquitous industry, but it still tends to be a big local employer.

Quote:
Columbia is primiarmly a university and government town. Government towns tend to have more lawyers for whatever reason.
I never disputed this; after all, it was founded specifically to be the capital. But the characterization of it as nothing more than state government and USC is a bit off base.

Quote:
USC is the reason why a lot of companies are coming to the area, it is a bigger business incubator than you realize, same with the government being here.
Certainly USC, specifically the research coming out of USC, is a reason for job growth as it is in most metros with a research university--and that's a good thing. But out of the last few economic developments, USC had little to nothing to do with them: Aflac, Michelin expansion, Verizon expansion, Time Warner expansion, Amazon, SCBT/First Financial merger, etc.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Well pretty sure Clemson blows out USC in every metric including selectivity. Much easier to get into USC if only b/c they got tons more students than Clemson.

All you got to do is look at average salaries and you will find engineers make more on average than business guys. We actually got to do something, not just mooch of of what other people do all day. You can teach anybody how to mooch, I think. Only thing USC is really known for is the business school and that is basically b/c that Darla Moore woman pays for PR to hype it up, b/c business is business at any school. Francis fricking Marioin is just as good for business. It can't offer engineering programs though.

What is so great about Charlotte's downtown? You'd just be hanging out around a bunch of tall office buildings. that doesn't seem like a good vibe. I'd rather hang out at a Falls Park at night than Charlotte, plus it is just going to be easier to park. I'd give Charlotte the strong edge as far as working just b/c you got more restaurant options along the street than Greenville and more people down there but at night and weekends I def. think Greenville is superior.

I am assuming you like Charlotte better b/c of dance clubs and stuff like that. Greenville's nightlife is much more low key which works for me and pretty much anybody over the age of 30. LOL
You really just talk without looking at facts. Let's just say your comments about Clemson v USC proves you don't know much of what you are talking about. Your comments about business graduates and Charlotte also shows your lack of facts. Do yourself a favor and get a hobby, this is not working for you.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
You really just talk without looking at facts. Let's just say your comments about Clemson v USC proves you don't know much of what you are talking about. Your comments about business graduates and Charlotte also shows your lack of facts. Do yourself a favor and get a hobby, this is not working for you.
lol, well all I know is all the bright kids at my high school went to Clemson with the exception of a few who wanted to get into the law school there after undergrad. Clemson has the better reputation for engineering and science majors. I'll give USC business if it means that much for you but I never met any business guy who seemed sharper than your average engineer. You guys just like to act like you are big shots but your jobs are just about chasing money, cashing in on activity that has nothing to do with you. Just seems like a weird occupation but as long as it makes you happy, that is what matters.

The funny thing is you would be saying the exact same thing as me if you were an engineer and not in finance. You remind me of my Indian friend. Exact same personality. Do your parents shame you for not majoring in engineering or going to med school? My friend's parents do. LOL

Old 06-28-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
lol, well all I know is all the bright kids at my high school went to Clemson with the exception of a few who wanted to get into the law school there after undergrad. Clemson has the better reputation for engineering and science majors. I'll give USC business if it means that much for you but I never met any business guy who seemed sharper than your average engineer. You guys just like to act like you are big shots but your jobs are just about chasing money, cashing in on activity that has nothing to do with you. Just seems like a weird occupation but as long as it makes you happy, that is what matters.

The funny thing is you would be saying the exact same thing as me if you were an engineer and not in finance. You remind me of my Indian friend. Exact same personality. Do your parents shame you for not majoring in engineering or going to med school? My friend's parents do. LOL
Your statement was that Clemson blows away USC is every metric, that is flat out wrong. How long have you been out of HS? At my HS, not far from Clemson, not every bright kid went to Clemson so, I doubt your statement is true. Some in my school went to Clemson, some to Carolina, some to Furman, some to Wofford, some to Chapel Hill.

If you are happy as an engineer, good. I don't care what you do or what you think of business folks. But, without the ability to formulate financing options, engineers would still be playing with erector sets in their parent's basement. So, even though you have no idea what finance is about, without it, you would still be at home.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Your statement was that Clemson blows away USC is every metric, that is flat out wrong. How long have you been out of HS? At my HS, not far from Clemson, not every bright kid went to Clemson so, I doubt your statement is true. Some in my school went to Clemson, some to Carolina, some to Furman, some to Wofford, some to Chapel Hill.

If you are happy as an engineer, good. I don't care what you do or what you think of business folks. But, without the ability to formulate financing options, engineers would still be playing with erector sets in their parent's basement. So, even though you have no idea what finance is about, without it, you would still be at home.
I'm only talking about the ones who went to state college, obviously some of them went out of state or to private schools in state. I think SC might actually be behind College of Charleston in a lot of the academic statistics.

I don't think you are doing anything that supports engineering in any way, or any other industry. You just speculating to make money off of activities that have nothing to do with you. You don't produce anything yourself. To me it doesn't seem much different from betting on sports. You just use some analytics to make a good logical guess based on various criteria. I think your job is probably actually boring as anything and I can't see you making more than 60K a year b/c you talk about money in a way that people who have it typically don't. You sound more like some young rapper kid rapping about his G's than an aflluent person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area