Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:08 PM

233 posts, read 282,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
I'm only talking about the ones who went to state college, obviously some of them went out of state or to private schools in state. I think SC might actually be behind College of Charleston in a lot of the academic statistics.

I don't think you are doing anything that supports engineering in any way, or any other industry. You just speculating to make money off of activities that have nothing to do with you. You don't produce anything yourself. To me it doesn't seem much different from betting on sports. You just use some analytics to make a good logical guess based on various criteria. I think your job is probably actually boring as anything and I can't see you making more than 60K a year b/c you talk about money in a way that people who have it typically don't. You sound more like some young rapper kid rapping about his G's than an aflluent person.
Dude, you are talking junk. You have no idea what you are talking about with respect to Clemson/Carolina and business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 10:12 PM

425 posts, read 632,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
Dude, you are talking junk. You have no idea what you are talking about with respect to Clemson/Carolina and business.
ok, i don't care about clemson vs Carolina, to me it is more about the major than the school. All I know is when pop cultures rag on schools in the south, USC is usually one of the easy targets.

But explain to me what makes a trading floor business guy important to society in any way. If people like this didn't exist, would we know it? How would impact society? I can understand how no engineers would impact society but it doesnt seem like we must have slick trader business guys to survive as a society. Show me where I am wrong. I want to understand what it is you do all day. I admit that I am completely ignorant of what you do.

I've always viewed finance guys as similar to lawyers who go into law so they know how to bend the rules to exploit things. You guys do that with the business work and finance, you look at all this stuff most people just not interested in, so you can exploit little things to make money. I think its kind of a grey area and you probably aren't always being ethical but it is probably still technically legal if only b/c people jsut don't understand some of the stuff you are doing.

Now if your job is about growing a client's portofolio and offering sound investment advice, that seems like an honorable occupation. But this trading floor thing just sounds like you gambling on this or that and having some little contrived set of criteria that tells you it is a pretty good gamble.

I got on the Google Machine and it appears lot of Democrats got a big problem with the derivative market. They seem to imply it is a shady thing not really based on anything real. I thought that was interesting b/c you appear to be a big Democrat. Shady capitalism for you, but not anybody else, eh? That's how you Democrats roll. Limosine liberals, god love yah.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:22 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
I've lived in both cities in the past and both are good places to live. There are good and bad areas around both. Both towns are different, but no 2 towns are the same.

I changed jobs a couple of years ago and had a job offer in Columbia and one in Greenville. Compensation was similar (more $$ in Columbia, better benefits in Greenville). In the end, I liked the job offered in Greenville a bit better, I have family in the area, and I think the overall quality of life is a bit better in Greenville. We chose Greenville.

Columbia is a bit hotter and more humid in the afternoon than Greenville. Those 3 or 4 degrees and 5% humidity don't sound like much but they are the difference between uncomfortable and intolerable to me. Greenville is also close enough to the mountains (under an hour) to make it an easy drive to escape the heat on the weekends. Escaping the heat in Columbia on the weekend is going to be a 3+ hour drive to the mountains or a 2+ hour drive to the beach.

I'm not saying Columbia isn't a great place - Greenville was just the pick of our family when we were faced with the choice.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:32 PM

425 posts, read 632,317 times
the easiest way to escape the heat is to head indoors and turn on the AC. Columbia homes come equipped with HVAC. pretty awesome. you don't have to head to the mountains and it is humid too up in A-Ville in the summer.

Unless you work on a farm or something, the heat in the summer isn't going to be a big issue for you. Most peeps work in climate controlled office buildings. It's only about 8 weeks max when it is that bad.

This person is coming from Florida so don't think the heat in Columbia is going to be too rough for him.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:52 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,353 times
I've traveled around a lot, and lived in a number of places. Typical suburbs are just that- typical. Chain stores and fast food joints offer the same stuff everywhere you go. Subdivisions full of cookie-cutter homes. Call it the 'Wal-Mart-ification' of America. Everyone has heat and A/C, and jump in their A/C car and go to their A/C job. For me, the difference is the natural beauty in and around the area. I'm one of those strange people that actually goes hiking and biking on a regular basis. When I'm not working, I'm outside more than in, hot weather or cold. For me, the nearby mountains and waterfalls win, hands down. I'm building out in Tigerville, about 15 miles north of downtown Greenville. It is noticeably cooler here, partially due to higher altitude, and partially due to being away from the heat island effect that all cities have. It was 66 here this morning while Greenville was 71.

It all boils down to what you really want. We wanted a rural lifestyle, but with a city nearby. I work in manufacturing, which makes Greenville a better fit than most areas. What we desire isn't for everybody, otherwise it wouldn't be rural any more. My point is to evaluate what is a priority for you, and see how each area stacks up. Also, you need to visit the different areas before making such a big decision.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:44 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master007 View Post
If there is any chance to relocate from Ft Lauderdale Fl, which should I choose Greenville or Columbia? for a family with 2 children ( 8 & 3).. good schools and nice neighborhoods. Or any other area around?
Defintely Columbia! GREAT shopping, an incredible foodie scene, hip, trendy, BEST schools in the state, off the charts downtown, liberal to the point Boulder would blush.....THE BEST.

Columbia gots swag!!! Nuff said!

Old 06-29-2013, 10:46 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Defintely Columbia! GREAT shopping, an incredible foodie scene, hip, trendy, BEST schools in the state, off the charts downtown, liberal to the point Boulder would blush.....THE BEST.

Lol. Dallas or Houston.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:21 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,353 times
As an aside, today is the anniversary of Greenville's highest recorded temperature of 107 degrees last year. That's far hotter than coastal FL ever gets. I was camping and building my house in that stuff! The highest temperature ever recorded in SC was June 29 of last year. 113 degrees- in Columbia.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:00 PM

411 posts, read 853,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

Um, are you sure that you've lived in Columbia? Trendy? Foodie scene? Hip? Off the charts downtown?

Wow. Just wow. Our definitions of those things must vary GREATLY.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM

411 posts, read 853,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
No need for name calling, I simply responded with my opinion. One of my opinions is that Greer is not and has never been a low crime, desirable area. Sorry if that offends you. Yes, Hwy 29 is a dump as is most of the Greer area. Greenville has crime Rates equal to or higher than Columbia, that is a fact. If the OP is interested in understanding the areas, it does them no good to have folks masking the facts. Again, sorry if that offends you.
OK, my apologies. Between your aggressive debating with ClemsonTiger 45 and your rather harsh comments about Greer (assuming you've never lived there), I was rather annoyed more than offended. Interestingly enough, I thought about this argument over the weekend when I hosted a BBQ at my house and we walked to the end of my street to watch the city's fireworks display. Disney World it isn't, but my guests were suitably impressed. I'm just saying that Greer is on the up and up. Yes, it has some bad areas, I won't deny that, but they seem to stay put with little bleed over into the safer neighborhoods. I'm definitely not a fan of 29 most days--poorly planned suburban sprawl plus traffic nightmare = my hell. But I won't lie that it's convenient when I need to make a Target run.

I certainly would not try to mask crime stats. All I know is that I was the victim of crime four times in Columbia (in less than four years) and I've not been the victim of crime in Greenville. It seems to me as the wife of a former cop, that crime in Greenville seems less random and more crime of familiarity. I'm sure that accounts for some amount of crime in Columbia as well but you've got to admit that there's a problem when your house gets broken into and the perp hauls off your flat screen, on his shoulder, down the street, in broad daylight. That a serious commentary on crime and police presence in Columbia, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area