Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 10:48 AM

28 posts, read 39,380 times

Advertisements

Ollie's Tavern is open on Trade Street in Greer (the former Still Water spot).
https://olliestavern.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 06:46 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,744 times
'It's been my happy place': Woman opens dream cafe during pandemic

Quote:
... just opened her own restaurant called Friends Cafe at 136 S. Main St. in Woodruff.
Perhaps this should go in the Positive thread also?

Old 04-02-2020, 02:25 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,016,803 times
The Lidl site on Poinsett Hwy across from Publix has been graded. Looks like construction could be starting soon. Assuming Lidl still owns that lot unless it changed hands.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:32 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
Pleased to see Hardee's has finally returned the Star burgers from Carl's Jr. They include Famous Star, Superstar, and the Big Hardee, which is similar to the old Big Twin and is known as the Big Carl on the West coast. All have special sauce, either red sauce or 1000 Island. Only seems right they would feature the signature sandwiches of Carl's Jr. since the acquisition. I will now dine there more often. And some locations allow inside counter service, but takeout only, as indoor dining is currently restricted.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:34 PM

Any update on the Whataburger rumors?

Old 04-02-2020, 09:59 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Pleased to see Hardee's has finally returned the Star burgers from Carl's Jr. They include Famous Star, Superstar, and the Big Hardee, which is similar to the old Big Twin and is known as the Big Carl on the West coast. All have special sauce, either red sauce or 1000 Island. Only seems right they would feature the signature sandwiches of Carl's Jr. since the acquisition. I will now dine there more often. And some locations allow inside counter service, but takeout only, as indoor dining is currently restricted.

The 'acquisition' was 20+ years ago now.

They just.. I don't want to say they have no clue, but they certainly don't seem to have a direction.

The whole Red Burrito thing was a flop. Though I do think it was pretty good food.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The 'acquisition' was 20+ years ago now.

They just.. I don't want to say they have no clue, but they certainly don't seem to have a direction.

The whole Red Burrito thing was a flop. Though I do think it was pretty good food.
Yes about 20 years ago they were first converted to the Star Hardee's format, which included the Carl's Jr. burgers and Happy Star logo. Then the Star burgers were phased out about 10 years ago when they introduced Thickburgers, and the former Roy Rogers fried chicken was dropped. But they did keep the Happy Star logo, so it would seem logical to return the Star burgers to have a correlation.

I always liked the original full sized Big Twin with the 1000 Island sauce, so I am glad to see the renamed Big Hardee burger return. And the Famous Star and Superstar also have a good taste with the red sauce.

They were smart to keep separate names for the 2 chains to avoid unfamiliarity such as the failed Roy Rogers conversion, but they can still share certain common menu items. Such as the Hardee's breakfast biscuits have now been added at Carl's on the West coast and the Carl's Jr. burgers have returned to Hardee's.

But they may still maintain separate marketing strategies, as Carl's is more urban and Hardee's is more Southern and Midwest. They are still tweaking the best combined menus and marketing based upon the regional demographics of both divisions. Although it would be nice if the Roy Rogers fried chicken would return, as it is still available at certain limited franchise locations in certain states.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Yes about 20 years ago they were first converted to the Star Hardee's format, which included the Carl's Jr. burgers and Happy Star logo. Then the Star burgers were phased out about 10 years ago when they introduced Thickburgers, and the former Roy Rogers fried chicken was dropped. But they did keep the Happy Star logo, so it would seem logical to return the Star burgers to have a correlation.

I always liked the original full sized Big Twin with the 1000 Island sauce, so I am glad to see the renamed Big Hardee burger return. And the Famous Star and Superstar also have a good taste with the red sauce.

They were smart to keep separate names for the 2 chains to avoid unfamiliarity such as the failed Roy Rogers conversion, but they can still share certain common menu items. Such as the Hardee's breakfast biscuits have now been added at Carl's on the West coast and the Carl's Jr. burgers have returned to Hardee's.

But they may still maintain separate marketing strategies, as Carl's is more urban and Hardee's is more Southern and Midwest. They are still tweaking the best combined menus and marketing based upon the regional demographics of both divisions. Although it would be nice if the Roy Rogers fried chicken would return, as it is still available at certain limited franchise locations in certain states.

That chicken has been gone longer than 10 years. I'd say it's much closer to, if not over 15. Though I don't necessarily know if it was phased out or dropped all at once. If it was phased out.. You could be more correct-er because the last stores to drop it may have hung on a while.

Chicken would likely bury them. The cost of chicken has increased massively since they had it, and the waste value from it.. I mean, they're cooking the burgers pretty much to order now.. You can't do that with Chicken.

I think their decision to keep the separate brands was wise. Carl's Jr had zero name recognition here. I thought by introducing the "Star" components, they were making the inroads to eventually make them one name.. And, let's be honest.. The Hardee's name,especially around here, has kinda been drug through the mud.

And, let me say.. Everything I say here has an asterix. That asterix is "Breakfast"

Because Hardee's is still #1 or a CLOSE #2 for breakfast.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That chicken has been gone longer than 10 years. I'd say it's much closer to, if not over 15. Though I don't necessarily know if it was phased out or dropped all at once. If it was phased out.. You could be more correct-er because the last stores to drop it may have hung on a while.

Chicken would likely bury them. The cost of chicken has increased massively since they had it, and the waste value from it.. I mean, they're cooking the burgers pretty much to order now.. You can't do that with Chicken.

I think their decision to keep the separate brands was wise. Carl's Jr had zero name recognition here. I thought by introducing the "Star" components, they were making the inroads to eventually make them one name.. And, let's be honest.. The Hardee's name,especially around here, has kinda been drug through the mud.

And, let me say.. Everything I say here has an asterix. That asterix is "Breakfast"

Because Hardee's is still #1 or a CLOSE #2 for breakfast.
Hardee's and Bojangle's are know for breakfast biscuits, and the Hardee's breakfast biscuits have been added to the Carl's Jr. menu on the West coast. And now they have added the Car's Jr. Star burgers to Hardee's on the East coast. So perhaps finally they are trying to configure the best combination of the 2 divisions. Just like years ago they finally converted the Hardee's Mid Atlantic locations back to Roy Rogers featuring Hardee's breakfast, but by then it was too late as the failed conversion had lost business. So CKE was smart to leave separate names for each division after their acquisition, and they sold the remaining Roy Rogers units to the largest independent franchisee in Frederick, Maryland which is now expanding again. And there are a few Hardee's franchises in certain states such as Virginia that still serve fried chicken, but it may no longer be the exact Roy Rogers recipe.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Hardee's and Bojangle's are know for breakfast biscuits, and the Hardee's breakfast biscuits have been added to the Carl's Jr. menu on the West coast. And now they have added the Car's Jr. Star burgers to Hardee's on the East coast. So perhaps finally they are trying to configure the best combination of the 2 divisions. Just like years ago they finally converted the Hardee's Mid Atlantic locations back to Roy Rogers featuring Hardee's breakfast, but by then it was too late as the failed conversion had lost business. So CKE was smart to leave separate names for each division after their acquisition, and they sold the remaining Roy Rogers units to the largest independent franchisee in Frederick, Maryland which is now expanding again. And there are a few Hardee's franchises in certain states such as Virginia that still serve fried chicken, but it may no longer be the exact Roy Rogers recipe.

There's a few KFC's that still do the "Colonel's Buffet", but..

I still have to stick to saying that Hardee's is just damaged goods in this area. The old Flagstar/Advantica/Jerry Richardson area. People had such bad experiences.. They won't go back. Even though, and I will admit this.. The food is a hundred times better than it was back in the 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area