Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times

Advertisements

Thanks, smilin'.

Found out today hotspots are not really made for watching movies and tv. You need a LOT of megs or whatever. So Thursday, the same day as my Craftmatic comes, Verizon will be over to install Direct TV. I hate Comcast SO MUCH that I passed on their new deal of $89 a month for a year and stayed as much as I could with Verizon. No FIOS, having to go back to DSL and slower connections but I just will not do Comcast again.

Friday I will be getting my internet installed.

Until we meet again....

(((HUGS)))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM

379 posts, read 533,410 times
Yay!!! Internet!!!! I couldn't live without it!

Will you be getting a DVR with your Direct TV service? I have DISH Network, and DVR service. I just could not make it without the DVR. Or I guess I'm just spoiled, it's so nice to be able to tape a show and watch it later.

Are you still enjoying your Kindle Fire? I think I've talked myself out of getting one, since I use my laptop most of the time, but am thinking about getting the new Kindle Paperwhite.....e-reader with a backlight in it. My current Kindle has the keyboard at the bottom, which I don't use.

tngirl

Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
i LOVE my Kindle Fire HD larger screen. I could care less about watching t.v. On my Kindle Fire I have PRIME and I can watch movies, television programs and read free books. I am either watching a movie or reading a book nightly, seldom turn on televison. My last book was about a woman who lost her husband and was left with 3 children to raise and the feelings of grief she went through. It really was a good book and it was FREE . I wish I can get into television but I don't have any favorite programs, they are all about reality shows. So I absorb myself into reading or watching a movie. I also can get my emails on it or surf the net and the speakers are excellent on it and I also listen to Los Angeles Talk Radio. It is another little computer and i guess I picked it out because the reviews were excellent and I don't need to take my laptop with me if I go anywhere. I do not like typing on it though.
Just a want and not need.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:33 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
I made my first major purchase since Bob died yesterday. I bought a new car....by myself....and while I knew exactly which car I wanted at which dealer down to the VIN number, I was NOT prepared for all the pushy, pushy upselling. I knew they would low-ball my trade-in, and I knew there would be a lot of back and forth on the price, but the pressure to buy undercoating (in Tucson???), dashboard sealant, Scotchguarding, extended warranty and everything else was overwhelming, but I didn't buckle, and I did get close to the numbers I wanted to where it was almost an across the board deal between trade-in and new car price.

Two years ago, or even a year ago, I could not have imagined, nor would I have even attempted, making such a big purchase or have been able to resist all the pushy finance guys trying to sell me a ton of extras. It was always so hard for me to say no, that I'm still pinching myself for holding out against the all the upselling. I don't know whether to be proud that I did this successfully, or whether to be sad that I could do this successfully (without Bob). This was a real watershed moment for me.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
i LOVE my Kindle Fire HD larger screen. I could care less about watching t.v. On my Kindle Fire I have PRIME and I can watch movies, television programs and read free books. I am either watching a movie or reading a book nightly, seldom turn on televison. My last book was about a woman who lost her husband and was left with 3 children to raise and the feelings of grief she went through. It really was a good book and it was FREE . I wish I can get into television but I don't have any favorite programs, they are all about reality shows. So I absorb myself into reading or watching a movie. I also can get my emails on it or surf the net and the speakers are excellent on it and I also listen to Los Angeles Talk Radio. It is another little computer and i guess I picked it out because the reviews were excellent and I don't need to take my laptop with me if I go anywhere. I do not like typing on it though.
Just a want and not need.
Hi smilin! Glad to know you are enjoying the Kindle Fire. Do you remember the name of that book you were talking about....the woman with 3 kids that lost her husband? I LOVE free books! In fact, I've only bought one, Tony Dungy's book (which was a great read, BTW).

tngirl

Old 01-30-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I made my first major purchase since Bob died yesterday. I bought a new car....by myself....and while I knew exactly which car I wanted at which dealer down to the VIN number, I was NOT prepared for all the pushy, pushy upselling. I knew they would low-ball my trade-in, and I knew there would be a lot of back and forth on the price, but the pressure to buy undercoating (in Tucson???), dashboard sealant, Scotchguarding, extended warranty and everything else was overwhelming, but I didn't buckle, and I did get close to the numbers I wanted to where it was almost an across the board deal between trade-in and new car price.

Two years ago, or even a year ago, I could not have imagined, nor would I have even attempted, making such a big purchase or have been able to resist all the pushy finance guys trying to sell me a ton of extras. It was always so hard for me to say no, that I'm still pinching myself for holding out against the all the upselling. I don't know whether to be proud that I did this successfully, or whether to be sad that I could do this successfully (without Bob). This was a real watershed moment for me.
Hi Marcy, congrats on the new car!! I am so proud of you for making this step forward on your own. I can relate.

A couple of years before Jim died, we had talked about replacing my 2004 Ford Explorer, as it was getting up there in miles. Jim thought we should just buy new so it would last me, but he never felt like going out car shopping. We just never did anything about it. About 6 months before he died, we talked about it again, but by then he was really unable to go out looking. I know he felt bad that he was letting me down.

After he died, I thought about what he would do now. In the past, he had always been the one to negotiate a car purchase, and I learned from him about "sticking to your guns." I began research on what kind of car I wanted. Jim would NEVER have had a "foreign" car, he was strickly a Ford guy. I went to the local Ford dealer, and the manager all but got down on his knees and begged me to buy a car from him. Cross that off my list!

I decided that I wanted a Toyota. I went looking, and was fortunate enough to find a wonderful young salesman....not pushy, well-educated, sincere and honest. I decided on the Corolla and got a great deal with my trade-in. The hard-sell did not come until I went in to sign all the papers with the finance manager, who wanted me to buy everything from extended warranty to everything extra they offered. We had had a previous bad experience with an extended warranty. The finance manager made it sound like if I did not buy these extras, the car would fall apart as I drove it off the lot! I declined ALL of it.

I love my new car (2012) and the Toyota is doing great, I get 35.2 MPG right now, and it is steadily increasing! Love that!!

Like you, I am so proud that I did this all by myself! It was scary to think about it at first, but I talked to enough people and researched before the purchase that I felt like I was doing the right thing. What a defining moment, though, when I drove that new car off the lot. I know Jim was with me in spirit.

I know that Bob would be so proud of you for doing this all by yourself. I choose to believe that he was with you all along, giving you the comfort and assurance that you were doing the right thing.

Again, congratulations!

tngirl

Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 PM

Congrats Marcy and Tngirl, buying a new car or used car can be a rather a not so pleasant experience. I am glad it worked out for you both. I bought the car I drive now while we were in TN, I went through the Automobile Club and i saved $1800. I did not have to hassle with salespeople. It was a pleasant experience.

TNgirl, the book I read is called, Angela's Song by AnnMarie Creedon.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
It's really liberating to realize that you CAN do things that were usually a joint decision. I went out and sat in the car for about 1/2 hour today, setting up the radio stations, adjusting the seat and playing with the gizmos and gadgets to get to know it better. The things I love~~how easy it is to slide into. I practically needed a step ladder to get in the old one; and the back up camera on the rearview mirror! Now that is totally cool! Buying this car really boosted my self-confidence!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
Congrats Marcy and Tngirl, buying a new car or used car can be a rather a not so pleasant experience. I am glad it worked out for you both. I bought the car I drive now while we were in TN, I went through the Automobile Club and i saved $1800. I did not have to hassle with salespeople. It was a pleasant experience.

TNgirl, the book I read is called, Angela's Song by AnnMarie Creedon.
Thanks smilin for the book title, I'll look it up!

tngirl

Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 PM

Never thought I would say this but here it goes. Twelve days ago, I met a man and the second hour we were talking I knew he was right for me. He called me a week later and I had a nice dinner for him on Monday. He phoned me tonight for a few minutes. I really never imagined myself being with a man but it sure feels good to be smittened. I don't know where this will go, I do know that I will only see him once or twice a week, only on his days off. That is okay with me for now. Wow, I am so HAPPY and to feel Happy and giggly and playful is wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning