Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times

Advertisements

Yippee! What started out as snow last night quickly turned to rain and never changed back. TG. I think the storm is over. It's been quiet out there for the past couple of hours. We would have been buried deeper than two weeks ago if this had been snow.

How did you fare, Buff? Marcy, all the snow gone?

I found twins to the cat I lost 5 years ago and my Mickey yesterday when I was searching the web. Went to PetSmart for their National Adoption Weekend too. I decided to hold off until I get fully settled. I'll probably get a cat before I go out job hunting. I may get another Finch or a Betta too. LOL I want so many critters!

smilin', how you doing? It seems so strange not to hear from you anymore.

tn, Marcy, CA....wass up? tn, you reading your Kindle?

I've been pigging out on movies with on my free HBO, Starz, Cinemax while I have it. Ends this week. I'm going to miss watching movies late at night but I won't pay for it. I'll go back to my Kindle Fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 06:15 PM

379 posts, read 533,410 times
Hey everybody! tami, glad you seem to have weathered the storm. We have had beautiful weather, but another system is moving in with rain, then temps drop middle week and rain/snow off and on! Great! A girlfriend and I are supposed to go to Crossville next Saturday to shop, have lunch, then attend a play at the Cumberland County Playhouse, Steel Magnolias. Can't wait.

Yes, I LOVE my Kindle paperwhite! Makes reading a breeze....speaking of breeze, I am reading the book by Drew Brees, quarterback of the Saints. It is a great read and very interesting. He is an awesome human being.

Well, today I had a great Sunday! After church, our organist and I were talking (she is a widow also) about going to the movies.....so, after Bible study, we went to eat at one of our local Japanese buffets, then went to the showing of "Safe Haven." A W E S O M E movie if you have a chance to see it!! I didn't get home until after 4, I think my doggies thought I had left them for good. They were ready for their walk, so away we went....sunshine, beautiful day. It was, all in all, a wonderful day!

tngirl

Old 02-24-2013, 07:56 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
OMG, Steel Magnolias, is my all time favorite movie. I wish I was there to join you. It sounds like a fun day for you Tngirl.

I will put that movie on my list to see. I recently met a single woman who likes me and we will meet up next Friday to walk and go to movies, maybe I will suggest that movie.

I enjoy my Kindle HD and find I am reading allot more than what I normally read.

Yesterday, was a bad day for me. I met a man who I thought would be good for me but turns out I never heard back from him and he phoned me yesterday. He thought I did not want to have anything to do with him, as he told me he would call me on a certain day and time and he never did so I texted him back several days later and wished him the best in life.
He told me yesterday he will phone me on such and such date and I told him he can call me anytime but not tell me a date. I then hung up from his phone call and started crying hysterically. I miss my husband so much and I am not use to playing games with people.

I held up in my house for years, not participating in life, being a care-giver and now I leave the house every other day keeping busy. I don't know how to describe it but I am enjoying my life now and I love to meet new people. Saturday I went to mall and attended a seminar about how to list on Ebay. I got many tips and I have decided to attend garage sales and start selling on Ebay.

Life is now meaningful to me. I have come to conclusion that I love me and I enjoy being by myself and I am starting to live my life on my own terms and I don't require others to fulfill my life, just be part of it.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 PM

Excellent, excellent, ladies! Good to hear things are going okay with you both. I am so happy for you. I may look into seeing if there are any groups for widows/widowers around this area. Maybe I can find a friend too.

Speaking of friends, look who I found on the internet tonight....maybe!!??

Petfinder Adoptable Dog | American Eskimo Dog | Delaware, OH | Fritz

Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 PM

971 posts, read 1,453,292 times
Hi Ladies, Just checking in. Glad to hear your all doing well. Snow and ice is all melted here and just waiting for the Monday rain changing to snow in the evening into Tuesday. Was 55.9 on my deck today after a low of 24 this morning so I did a lot of sitting and watching the eagles. Periods of energy allowed me to do a bit of house chores.

Keep on being happy and busy, it is a pleasure for me to join you here.

Bluff

Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Hi all. Tami, I love that you want to adopt critters! We got our cat from a Petsmart Adoption Fair, and she's the sweetest, most mellow, loving, lap cat ever. I have a Yorkie and two cats, so for now, we're set, but I'd adopt again from Petsmart in a heartbeat. I get sooooo tempted when I see the "babies" there!

Tn, I read Safe Haven and I loved it! I've read all of Nicholas Sparks' novels. They're really wonderful.

Our blizzard on Wednesday dumped about 5" and came down fast and furious at times. It was so fun seeing heavy snow again, and I think I took about 100 pictures so I wouldn't forget it. But, it melted during the day Thursday. Temps still chilly for here~~50's days and 30's night. I love the cold nights. I open the window, turn on the electric blanket, get under the down comforter, and feel the air on my face. I sleep so well with the cold, fresh air. I'm trying hard to remember it all because starting in mid-May the nighttime temps will be in the 80's still at midnight, and I'll have to run the AC 24/7.

I didn't watch the Oscars as the only movie I saw was "Lincoln" which I absolutely loved. It's what inspired me to buy "Team of Rivals". I think Argo would be interesting to see as I remember the whole incident happening, just didn't know it was such a huge production, literally. I watched The Amazing Race and the last installment of the Saturday Night Live "Decades" show. They did the 2000's tonight.

It's been a quiet, but fun (with the snow) few days.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:12 PM

Default Work

I took today off....I call it a mental health day...lol! I have been doing some online retail therapy!!

It has been snowing on and off all day, just lightly and barely sticking. But tonight and tomorrow they are calling for 1-2", so we'll see.

My friend and I were supposed to go tomorrow to see "Steel Magnolias" at the Cumberland County Playhouse, but Monday of this week she came down with the crud.....she sounds terrible and is horribly sick. So we have had to postpone our trip.....but there will be another time for us when she is better.

As some of you may remember, I had a couple of "irons in the fire" for prospective new jobs. Both as Administrative Secretaries, one at our local college, one at a state park. They both have been filled, and I didn't even get called for an interview! I was pretty bummed out about it as I was well-qualified for the positions. I have accepted the fact that my age most likely had something to do with not being chosen as a candidate. I choose to believe that God had something better in store for me. I am still hoping that something becomes available at our local hospital. They have had some changes there, and I keep thinking that something may develop. Besides, Jim's former home health nurse is now the Diabetes Educator there, and she is keeping her eyes & ears open for me. I will keep you posted for sure!

I'll be 64 in August, so one more year before the big Medicare kicks in (hopefully it will still be around by then@). In the meantime, I'll just keep keeping on.

tngirl

Old 03-01-2013, 03:03 PM

Sorry to hear both positions were filled, tn. Maybe they were filled "in house". I still have a key fob that was the logo "Keep on truckin'" on it! I got it when I was a teenager and still use that philosophy.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
I hope the hospital job works out. I'm really sorry about the others. I think age discrimination is a huge thing. I would love to get a job with benefits as my health insurance is $1200/mo and it's killing me (pun intended). I just turned 61, so I have four more years of out of control premium increases. So far, though, none of the jobs I've applied for have ever called me back or acknowledged me at all. I truly believe it's my age. I've heard that Home Depot (in case the name gets edited, it's the home improvement store where the employees wear orange aprons) hires older workers. At least at the one near me, most of the employees appear to be over 55. I haven't applied there yet as I'm not sure what their benefit packages (if any) are like.

It's even harder for my son as he's been unemployed since October. He's been going through CareerBuilder and most of his applications are online. It's as though he fills them out and they disappear. He never hears anything in return. I wonder if the companies even get them, or read them? It's really frustrating.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:39 AM

Default Jobs

I really am grateful that I have a job with benefits. That's what it's all about these days. I have been with the county for 5 1/2 years now, and am fully vested. As of yesterday, I can quit and draw a small retirement check for the rest of my life. But for the last 5 1/2 years I have been looking for a job locally, where I live. As it is now, I drive 30 miles one way to work; that in itself is not horrible, but with gas prices out of sight, it's an expense I'd rather not make.

There is going to be an opening (I may have told you all this) in one of the departments in our office for a courtroom clerk. I have told my boss I am interested; she is a procrastinator and waits until the last minute to make a decision. The big advantage to this job is being in the courtroom (for the felony stuff); I miss that, as I used to be a courtroom clerk in Arizona; very, very interesting, and entertaining at times, as I'm sure you can imagine.

The disadvantages to this job (if you want to call them that) is.....working full-time instead of part-time (now 30 hrs per week vs. 37.5+ hrs per week); still driving the 30 miles; affecting my social security, as the job would pay more; and having a supervisor that is rough, brassy, and a back-stabber. Easy decision, right? The clerk that is retiring and creating the job opening gave about a 2 month notice, plenty of time for the big boss to train someone new. Now we're down to 3 weeks and still no decisions. The big boss was supposed to tell me 3 weeks ago what the job paid so I could see how much it would affect social security; she has not done that yet. So, we'll see how the drama plays out. I know if it's meant to be, for me, it will happen. If not, I'll just keep truckin on in my current job and watch for something to possibly develop at the hospital, or somewhere else.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on about my job situation.....gheesh!

tngirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning