Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:05 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times

Advertisements

So glad Summering has joined us...such words of wisdom.
I too spotted a card with bold letters DAD...it brought tears to my eyes.
I just wish I could control the tears a little better. But I don't want to be numb to feelings either.
A good friend has a saying..You have to FEEL feelings.
This is grief...there is no medicine for it. Grief in itself is our medicine, in hopes we that we get past this.

Steve.....I had a dream about you!!!!!
Since my Dad was the 'good' cook in my family and I have always LOVED your recipes and style of cooking...I dreamt that we decided to get together for you to teach me to make cabbage rolls. You didn't live too far away....well...when I got to your house and you answered the door....you were the spitting image of my Dad....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 07:19 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,729 times
My dad died when I was 28 years old. He'd been steadily declining in health for years so it wasn't totally unexpected. In fact 3 years before he'd called me to say , "Goodbye" because he thought that was it. We said all the things we needed to say then so when it happened it wasn't a new idea. I am not grieving though--at all. I am at the anger stage. He "let" diabetes and smoking kill him because he wouldn't stop smoking or eating terrible. I am glad I got to say goodbye though.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:29 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
I LOVE PA....Darn, we were sure good looking twins. Steve

Old 10-18-2008, 01:12 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,739 times
Thank you for all the posts everyone has made. Reading your stories has been sad and unfortunately almost everyone has to go through this emotional process of losing a parent at one time or another.

I find it difficult at school because I teach preschool kids and a lot of them come in with their dads in the morning and that always makes me sad. Sometimes they turn to me and ask ,"Do you have a daddy?" I always have to try so hard not to cry when I get asked that, but they don't understand so I just always tell them that I have a mommy and daddy just like them.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:24 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Thank you for all the posts everyone has made. Reading your stories has been sad and unfortunately almost everyone has to go through this emotional process of losing a parent at one time or another.

I find it difficult at school because I teach preschool kids and a lot of them come in with their dads in the morning and that always makes me sad. Sometimes they turn to me and ask ,"Do you have a daddy?" I always have to try so hard not to cry when I get asked that, but they don't understand so I just always tell them that I have a mommy and daddy just like them.
"Yes, I do, and he was the best. " Smiling all the while as she spoke to the little children. They return her smile thinking to themselves that that cannot be true, because it is their dad who is really the best.

She can detect the little girls thoughts. Smiling even bigger now, the teacher thinks to herself that she would have the very same thought at that age, as her little girl student has right now.

These thoughts and feelings make her happy. She looks back to her childhood remembering the times when she was little. It's hard not to cry when death is such a sad thing. With that said, it is hard not to smile when we think of those we have lost and the joy they brought to us while they were here on this earth.

When she needs to smile or to entertain a happy thought, she looks back. Back to before he was gone. Back to is smile, and his hugs. His praises. Back to it will be ok, Daddy is here. For he was there. For he IS there, in her heart forever, just as strong today as that day when you were a little girl.

We may not be able to see him with our eyes. It is when we close our eyes and open our minds, our hearts that we see him and he is so very real. So real we could touch him. So real we can feel his presence. It is only when we open our eyes and close our minds to the knowledge of what was that the sadness comes to us.

The people we have lost are never completely gone from this world because they live on each and every day through us. Through the impact they had on us while they were here. Through the lives they lived while they were here, no matter how good or bad. They are always just a step away. All we need to do is form our lips into an upward smile, close our eyes and think back to the times when they were right beside us again. The people we love never leave us forever, just for a little while.

This, of course, dependent upon our beliefs. It is my belief that when a person dies, as long as they were saved, will go above us. They will look down upon us everyday.

They are there, and they wait for us. For them, there is no time, in paradise, I do not think time exists. For us, the time we have to wait can feel eternal. It can feel sad.

As our lost one looks down upon us, they can see our tears, our anguish. They do not want us to be sad. It is not ever what they wanted, and I am sure they would do anything to make the tears and sadness go away, just as they would in life.

So then we wait. We wait until the day comes that we will see them again. We live our lives. We try to be happy. We think to ourselves, "What would he have done in this situation?" We smile, because the answers we have been looking for where there all along. We just did not know where to find them.

I know I will see my parents again some day. I imagine it will be like I never lost them. This thought makes me happy . It fills me with promise for a new day.

It makes life livable. The promise makes everything okay.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:46 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times
[quote=Pikantari;5748229 I know I will see my parents again some day. I imagine it will be like I never lost them. This thought makes me happy . It fills me with promise for a new day.

It makes life livable. The promise makes everything okay.[/QUOTE]

Well said. In some cases it is a long wait though....almost makes the thought of dying much more bearable now. I can now see how one would consider themselves 'ready'.

I know my Dad was definitely ready. Little signs....he never slept with his teeth in...he did that night. He had asked my Mom for a paticular prayer, for forgiveness of sins. Something tells me that he knew...maybe just that day..or a week or 2 before..but he knew. and I'm glad nothing interfered with his plan. I can live with that.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:05 PM

1,123 posts, read 196,787 times
Wasn't sure I wanted to read or post to this.
I smile with tears in my eyes when I think of my folks.
Dad passed over 10 years ago, Mom passed almost 2 years ago.
I feel grateful that I trusted my instints when I decide to come back to Memphis, when he wasn't doing well. I got to have some good laughs with him before he passed. I also feel grateful that I was able to be bedside holding my mom's hand when she passed.
I sometime still just cry when I think of them, not that it is any more painfull than any of you have gone through, but being an only child with no other living relatives....I am very blessed to have the husband and extended family that I have.
All we can hope is that they knew they were loved.

Hugs to you all.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Well said. In some cases it is a long wait though....almost makes the thought of dying much more bearable now. I can now see how one would consider themselves 'ready'.

I know my Dad was definitely ready. Little signs....he never slept with his teeth in...he did that night. He had asked my Mom for a paticular prayer, for forgiveness of sins. Something tells me that he knew...maybe just that day..or a week or 2 before..but he knew. and I'm glad nothing interfered with his plan. I can live with that.

I do not know that my dad was ready, however, I do think he knew he was going to die. A couple of days before he passed he asked me if I thought he was going to make it.

Robbie, do you think I am gonna make it? Of course you are daddy.,... knowing all the while he wasn't..

Old 10-19-2008, 06:41 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Well I'm felling a lot better. My 5 day mourning for the recent death of my oldest daughter and also for her late mother/my wife ended last night. It was a ritual of healing and remembrance and good for the soul. This afternoon I made some Hungarian Paprikas the same way they would make for me. Just had dinner and the Hungarian Sweet Paprika sure makes a difference in colour and taste. The potatos smashed in the gravy was delicious. Tomorrow will make some crepes...Hungarian style. If your in the neighborhood, please drop in...my treat. Steve (pista in Hungarian)

Old 10-19-2008, 07:18 PM

Never had that before, Steve... I am very glad you are getting to feeling better. It does help a lot when there are people around to talk to. I know I do not know what it is like to have gone through what you have, and my thoughts and prayers are surely with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning