Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:57 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,385 times

Advertisements

I like long hair on girls but like bobs and pixies too. What happened to shorter hair? 20 years ago most women would cut their hair shorter when they got past 40, now so many are trying to look like college girls with little success.

But what I find most shocking is how EVERY GIRL in High School or College has to have long straight hair past their shoulders. Yes, it looks pretty on most of them, but does everyone have to have the same hairstyle? It is so boring.

I have kids in a variety of High School and Colleges and when we visit my wife and I notice that ALL girls have the long straight hair to the middle of their back. Why can't they mix it up and let it go curly or try a pixie or bob? What is wrong with a little diversity in hairstyles?

* Or is it different in your hometown and there are lots of girls in High School and College with Pixies?

Last edited by Workaholic?; 10-17-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Long straight hair is in. High school girls don't usually want to be unique. For most of them, "unique" means buying a shirt at Hot Topic that nobody else has.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
This, too, shall pass. Remember the shag cut?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,195 times
It is a trend, just like the "feathering" of the 80s.

*sigh* I was never able to feather. In looking for pictures of feathering I found pictures of women with long straight hair and *feathers* - either braided into the their or worn as a fascinator; that would be a little more interesting

Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Girls want to be considered pretty and attractive. Long hair is very attractive. So, they grow their hair long. Everyday when I drop the 16 year old off at high school, he and I always comment about the kids we see. He goes to a very upper middle class school and almost all of the kids are rather good looking. ALL the girls have long hair, the ones that done are kinda quirky with their own sense of style (maybe yogish from parents) but they are VERY stylish. The 16 year old says there are almost no fat kids in his school. Only a couple but they play defensive line on the football team.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:26 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,385 times
Isn't there a confident girl who looks great in a pixie or a bob that is not afraid to buck the trend and be a little different. When I was in college 25 years ago girls had all kinds of hair lengths and they all thought they looked nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Girls want to be considered pretty and attractive. Long hair is very attractive. So, they grow their hair long. Everyday when I drop the 16 year old off at high school, he and I always comment about the kids we see. He goes to a very upper middle class school and almost all of the kids are rather good looking. ALL the girls have long hair, the ones that done are kinda quirky with their own sense of style (maybe yogish from parents) but they are VERY stylish. The 16 year old says there are almost no fat kids in his school. Only a couple but they play defensive line on the football team.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Isn't there a confident girl who looks great in a pixie or a bob that is not afraid to buck the trend and be a little different.
Everyone says they're a non-conformist, until it's time to ... you know ... conform. Although I do see more than a few younger women who wear their long hair up frequently.

Quote:
When I was in college 25 years ago girls had all kinds of hair lengths and they all thought they looked nice.
Oh, agreed. I had long hair, my roommate had short, straight hair. Our next door neighbor had short, permed hair and her roommate wore a pageboy. Some of the girls in my dorm wore those shags.

I had so many different hair styles in college -- long, short, permed, straight; my mom would get freaked out every time I came home. But before I began college in the mid-70s, I wouldn't have dreamed of cutting my hair!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

And this has what to do with long hair?

Quote:
Long straight hair is in. High school girls don't usually want to be unique. For most of them, "unique" means buying a shirt at Hot Topic that nobody else has.
This...then when they get to college, it is easier to just pull back in a ponytail if they're running late to class.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Because it's in style. Styles come and go.

I was recently at an outing to a small town festival in a college community, and noticed while traipsing across the college campus that literally every single college-age female I saw had hair mid-back length or longer. It's funny, because when I was a college student in the mid to late 90s, I had hair that length, and it was a definite anomaly...short hair wasn't super prevalent, except among some of the post-grunge, riot grrl set, but the main longer length hair was the "Rachel" bob from friends. Mine was longer than that.

I've nearly always had longer hair, anywhere from shoulder length to hip-bone length. To me, it's the most versatile, convenient way to wear my hair. If it's in the way, into a bun, chignon, ponytail, or braid it goes, and when it's long, the need for trims can be stretched out. On the rare occasions my hair's been short, frequent trims have been a level of upkeep I don't care to maintain...my hair grows very quickly, and I'm not about to commit to the requisite visits to a salon every two weeks.

And when I was a college student, I certainly wouldn't have had the time or money for that kind of upkeep. I think guys sometimes underestimate the price tag put on what to them looks like a relatively simple haircut...the cost differential for men's cuts and women's cuts is a real thing. I know my BF is always incredulous when I show him what a basic cut costs at my salon, and it's not even that high-end a place...it's just not his SportClips special. But time and money matters when you're dealing with women's hairstyles.

For me, I never really cared about "diversity" in regard to my hair length. I have a length range that works for me, and tend to stick in that range. If I want to shake it up, I play with colors, not length. Lengthwise, I tend to stick with what's flattering. I prefer long locks, because to me, short hair, besides the aforementioned unwanted obligation of regular trims, simply isn't as universally flattering as longer hair. Very short hair works with very specific facial shapes and features. It's simply too severe a look for most. The bob can be more forgiving (although, to me, the stacked bob that was everywhere a few years back was just as boring as anything else), but a pixie really just isn't flattering on just everyone. That leaves "medium length," which to me was always more boring and pedestrian than the other two. I've cut long hair to medium length, and it looks fresh and exciting for about a day, because it looks so different than long hair, but then, just kinda blah.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
This question begs asking.........OP, why do you care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care