Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 01:13 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 367,035 times

Advertisements

I'm flexible on the length, but I DO wish it were easier to find more style suggestions for hair that is not naturally poker straight! Every pic in the style magazines is either worn straight or is naturally straight hair with artificially added waves/curls that are perfectly placed and frizz-free, e.g. beachy waves with straight bangs. Sure, I can blow dry and straighten, but as soon as I step out into the high humidity that is prevalent where I live, all the styling in the world is for naught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 01:20 PM

885 posts, read 1,522,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I like long hair on girls but like bobs and pixies too. What happened to shorter hair? 20 years ago most women would cut their hair shorter when they got past 40, now so many are trying to look like college girls with little success.

But what I find most shocking is how EVERY GIRL in High School or College has to have long straight hair past their shoulders. Yes, it looks pretty on most of them, but does everyone have to have the same hairstyle? It is so boring.
I think you are incorrect, Lao

Old 10-17-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
If her hair was short and cut like a boys, then yes she would most likely be assumed to be a lesbian.
Why?

What if she's into French new wave, or a skinhead, or just got a bad haircut?

Old 10-17-2011, 02:00 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,988,406 times
I don't care much for hair length, as long as she doesn't wear styles that cover most of her face.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Plus, not every woman can pull of looking as beautiful with long hair like the Anna chick from "V" who looks BETTER with short hair than with long hair.
Meh, to me, she looked just as good, if not better when she played Inara in Firefly with long ringlets. Really just a matter of individual opinion, but she doesn't look bad either way - It's hard to find an unflattering hairstyle when your face has that kind of bone structure involved. But it's definitely a valid case in point that facial shape dictates how short you can safely go without it getting unflattering...Morena Baccarin doesn't have any trouble, either way. Most women don't have her face, though.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Wave Carpetbagger View Post
I'm flexible on the length, but I DO wish it were easier to find more style suggestions for hair that is not naturally poker straight! Every pic in the style magazines is either worn straight or is naturally straight hair with artificially added waves/curls that are perfectly placed and frizz-free, e.g. beachy waves with straight bangs. Sure, I can blow dry and straighten, but as soon as I step out into the high humidity that is prevalent where I live, all the styling in the world is for naught.
At some point, you just have to bite the bullet and accept that sometimes, there are battles that it's just not worth it to pick, re: your hair. Mine's naturally wavy...not straight, not curly, not perfectly placed faux beachy waves...just wavy...sometimes it looks cool, sometimes it looks like a grown-out perm or bedhead, depending on how it's style and how badly it needs a trim. I've been known to wear it naturally, straighten it, or amp up the wave or body as suits me, but I always know that on a damp, humid day, it's just plain not worth it to fight what it naturally does...so you gotta find ways to make it work.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:36 PM

I agree, real style isn't in magazines - or in the conformity of youth! It's in the *real life* of each person just being themselves.

I've never had curls, or even waves, no matter how I tried so I'm a little envious of you Tabula

Old 10-17-2011, 02:37 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
I suppose it could be a trend, though I don't personally notice it in my location; there seem to be as many long-haired as short-haired ladies.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:04 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
What is wrong with a little diversity in hairstyles?
Diversity among the high school and college age folk is something that's cool to verbally support, but gawd-forbid they actually practice it. WAY uncool to break from the group-think mentality and actually be an individual at that age.

There's a Southpark episode that discusses this... the episode is called "raisins"...

Old 10-17-2011, 05:30 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,785,580 times
Tell me about it. I do a little local modeling and all the other girls have hair down their back. I feel like I missed the memo when I come bouncing in with my chin-length, curly bob.

What's worse is how attached they all to their hair. I've heard them talk about having nightmares about cutting their hair, or once in an act of defiance they cut it just below their boobs and swore they would never cut it short like that again. Makes me want to smack them around a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care