Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 09:01 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
From the original poster:

I am amused by the large number of posts from women who tell everyone how much they like long hair and how great it looks on them. That is great, but that is not what I was talking about.

Sure long hair looks nice and is pretty on many if not most women, especially young women with very thick hair. But the point I was making is the fashion gods have stated that EVERY Woman has to have long hair. Lots of women in the office I work in say they would love to cut their hair into a pixie cut and they had one in the past and it looked great but it is out of fashion. One woman I know got her hair cut into a pixie and now everyone is asking her if she is a lesbian. Now she is desperately growing her hair out so stop the harassment!

Why can't all styles be popular and the woman who want shorter hair get it cut and the long hair lovers can go with the longer style?
She could grab the crotches of studs like Antlered Chamataka by the corridor or coffee room to prove her desperate point rather than wait ten months to grow hair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:32 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
Quote:
Lots of women in the office I work in say they would love to cut their hair into a pixie cut and they had one in the past and it looked great but it is out of fashion. One woman I know got her hair cut into a pixie and now everyone is asking her if she is a lesbian. Now she is desperately growing her hair out so stop the harassment!
Nothing wrong with a pixie cut. The thing is, you have to have the complete STYLE to pull it off. Like Ataraxia a few posts above. It looks GOOD on her because it fits her sense of personal style.

The thing about pixie cuts is that you have to have a pixie body for it to look good. You cant have pixie hair and an ogre's or troll's body. It just wouldnt look right and people may very well think of you as a lesbian. No one ever mistook Halle Berry or Rhianna for lesbians with thier short hair. Its because they didnt have the troll/ogre body. Maybe that is what happened with your office mate.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:36 AM

184 posts, read 703,167 times
if you get something more interesting than a standard pixie cut, people are less likely to give you a hard time about being dykey. i've had my current haircut for a few years, before that it was a short a-line, and it's been dyed a variety of "natural" and crayola colors. never had anyone ask if i was a lesbian because of my short hair.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
But what I find most shocking is how EVERY GIRL in High School or College has to have long straight hair past their shoulders. ... I notice that ALL girls have the long straight hair to the middle of their back.
Quote:
Isn't there a confident girl who looks great in a pixie or a bob that is not afraid to buck the trend and be a little different.
Quote:
Sure Long straight hair looks nice on many young women but does EVERYONE in High School and College have to have it that way? ... [T]he fashion gods for girls 14-30 years old say you have to have very long straight hair to be considered pretty.
Quote:
[T]he point I was making is the fashion gods have stated that EVERY Woman has to have long hair.
For one thing, I think you're exaggerating. Not everyone in high school or college has long, straight hair. Sure, it's very common, but when you say things like EVERY GIRL and EVERYONE over and over, with such emphasis, it looks like you are overreacting.

For another, the "fashion gods" say no such thing. Anna Wintour, editor of Vogue, has a bob that she has famously worn since she was a young teenager. The front page for vogue.com at the moment includes several pictures of women with short or shoulder-length hair, or updos.

Seventeen, maybe. My daughter gets Seventeen and the cover seems to always feature Blake Lively or one of the girls from Glee. I wouldn't call that "fashion god" material, just your basic trends. Don't worry. They grow up.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The fascination with long hair is sort of frustrating. People assume I'm a lesbian because my hair is quite short - and often make comments to that regard to my face. I had to shave my hair when I began 6 months of chemo and it will take years for my hair to grow back to where it was (a bit longer than shoulder length). Right now I think it looks cute.. it's about 2 1/2 inches long and looks great with a headband. Still - it's frustrating to be 23 and already feel undesirable due to cancer.
But that's just this place. I had short hair for years, until my hormones started acting up due to perimenopause..... then my hair got wavy. After that I grew it out and I've never looked back.

No one ever thought I was a lesbian, although I got hit on once. I told her her she didn't have a very important element.... a sense of humor.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:33 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
After my second son was born, I shaved my head. I loved it. I loved it even more as it grew out. It was all crazy and sorta spiky and I suppose like a pixie cut. I got lots of compliments on it and people would ask me where I got my hair cut. They couldn't believe it when I told them it was just growing out after having shaved my head. It grew out and I've kept it long since. For me, having long hair is super easy. When it's short, even though it looks cute, I feel like I have to mess with it more. Every morning I'd wake up with bedhead. lol When it's long, I just pull it out of my face when I don't want to mess with it and it's fine.

The one thing, though, about long hair - braids. Personally, I love braids. But they aren't very socially acceptable. I've actually been asked a few times if I was mormon - simply because I braided my hair that day. And you try two braids and you get pippy longstocking comments, or Little House on the Prairie. It's annoying. So I braid my hair around the house but when I go out it's either down, up in a messy bun, or a ponytail. I just don't like dealing with stupid people and their braid comments.

Perhaps some people don't conform to the masses because they want to be like everyone else, but because they just want to be left alone? Maybe my comment about younger girls not practicing individuality was too harsh. After considering it more, I realize that I, too, sometimes want to just "blend in" so that nobody notices me, rather than express myself or wear what I really want to wear that day and have to deal with ignorant people's stares or comments. Some days I don't care, but there are some days you just want to be invisible, blend in, and be left alone to go about your happy day. Or maybe that's just me?

High schools are freaky places. I have a high schooler and a middle schooler, so I know. Perhaps a lot of those kids are simply trying to get through their day without sparking any controversies or creating any waves. They are there for other things, and fashion just isn't on their mind? They are just trying to blend in and survive high school. ?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:47 PM

831 posts, read 1,965,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

The thing about pixie cuts is that you have to have a pixie body for it to look good. You cant have pixie hair and an ogre's or troll's body. It just wouldnt look right and people may very well think of you as a lesbian. No one ever mistook Halle Berry or Rhianna for lesbians with thier short hair. Its because they didnt have the troll/ogre body. Maybe that is what happened with your office mate.
Agreed! My mom and I were just talking about the above just this past weekend...of course not in this tactless fashion, but the idea was the same. There is a certain body type that can carry off that haircut successfully, and it is the wispy, waif-like, slim figured girl/ woman. [this is in no means meant to be derogatory, this is me talking about what i'd love to be in order to be able to carry off that haircut!]

I use the length of my hair to draw attention to my face, not the size of my uhhh...assets.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Yes, because those are the two body types: Pixie and Ogre/Troll. You're either one or the other.

I look at it this way: I choose the hairstyle I find most flattering. Somebody else might look at it and think, "Wow, that's not very flattering on her...I wonder why she doesn't cut it/wear it longer/whatever?" I might not think that very short hair looks right on a given woman...but if THEY like it that way, what's it to me? People aren't required to keep OTHERS' personal tastes in mind when making determinations about their own appearances based on their own taste.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:20 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yes, but the older women who go to the beauty parlor once a week to have their hair done -- like my aunt, age 93, God love her! -- have been doing it all their lives. They didn't start setting their hair in short poufy curls just because they'd reached a certain age; it's something they've always done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The older senior citizen women....80 and up, often still get their hair tightly curled. 80 or 82 seems to be the cut off age. The younger 'seniors' (below 80) simply get it short and layered, but they do not curl it.
The lady that cuts my hair seems to have mostly clients like these. I concur.

I am a nice change for her with my layered super thick curly bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'nonkst'bulitz View Post
I've never really cottoned to the suggestion that someone letting hair grow (which is what it does with no real coaxing) indicates an intention to look college age or any other age. In the spirit of full disclosure I must also add that I have ALWAYS preferred long hair on girls. There have been exceptions to that preference though, including my current, long-time girlfriend:

As far as high school girls go... don't they usually fail at originality and style? It's just luck when the trends cross the path of aesthetic victory.
Nice American Gothic pose. love it.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:35 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,680,445 times
I'm a pixie girl Funny, I snagged a whole lot of dates & eventually my hubby AFTER cutting off all my hair. I don't look like a lesbian, I've been stopped in various places- both by men & women, who tell me how great my short hair is. I even had a guy come up to me in a bar & say "don't ever grow your hair long", smile & walk away. I know it's shocking to many that some women look best in short hair- I'm one of them. But I guess I've got that "pixie" body that some are speaking of. I'm 5'2", 110lbs with small facial features & not afraid to admit- small chested. I do dress pretty feminine- I live in sundresses for the most part. I love headbands, fun jewelry, etc. I really identify with that 60's Twiggy, Mia Farrow look. I think the mistake many women with short hair make is you have to go for the whole look or it can look blah.

I feel so much more confident with my pixie but hair is something I've never felt "attached" too.

I just get irritated with the sentiment- short hair=butch=lesbian=ugly.

By the way, I was the first girl my husband ever dated with short hair. Seems he was a long haired guy but I converted him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care