Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,121,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Oh. I like me some wavy hair then.

That kinda of hair works wonders for women. Like Nicole Scherzinger's hair. WOW. Even though she has stylists who change it all the time, the "normal" wavy/curly look of her Pussycat Doll days is just to die for.
haha ~
I had to google her. Very similar to KK.

It almost looks too "done" to me ... Mine is less controlled, more natural (no extensions!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:08 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,710,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think short hair can actually look BETTER on some women. I think women with long faces are one example. Look at a lot of the models and celebrities from the 60s when short hair was in. Twiggy, Edie Sedgewick, Mia Farrow, Brenda Vaccaro...and more recently I thought Winona Ryder still looked really attractive with short hair. Ditto on alot of black women. Pam Greer looked great (and funky) sporting the Afro that God gave her. I actually don't think long hair would have made any of these women look any more beautiful than they are. Short hair is just associated with being butch or masculine. Btw I wonder if this is a reason why many older ladies wear their hair the way they do. Women in their 60s have styles popular in the 60s, while women in their 80s have styles popular in the 50s. After a certain age most people's fashion short of freezes.

It's simply fashion, of course...I think totally straight hair isn't as prevalent as it was in the late 90s and early 00s which I think is a good thing, as I like wavy styles on a lady.

Either way, I don't really give a damn how a woman wears her hair. Long, short, bald, mullet, mohawk . If she's got a pretty face and a great personality, I'm not going to turn her down because of her hair.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:43 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,826,279 times
I noticed this too. Long hair looks good on young women (although a little variety would be nice) but there is too much straight hair. Some women can pull it off, but it can look boring and non-sexy. I sense a connetion between young women having boring looking hair and the trend of wearing less or no makeup. There is sort of a plain jane, non-sexy, natural,, conformist trend going on with young women. It's been this way for awhile now and it seems like it won't change.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:56 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I like long hair on girls but like bobs and pixies too. What happened to shorter hair? 20 years ago most women would cut their hair shorter when they got past 40, now so many are trying to look like college girls with little success.

But what I find most shocking is how EVERY GIRL in High School or College has to have long straight hair past their shoulders. Yes, it looks pretty on most of them, but does everyone have to have the same hairstyle? It is so boring.

I have kids in a variety of High School and Colleges and when we visit my wife and I notice that ALL girls have the long straight hair to the middle of their back. Why can't they mix it up and let it go curly or try a pixie or bob? What is wrong with a little diversity in hairstyles?

* Or is it different in your hometown and there are lots of girls in High School and College with Pixies?
Long hair looks best in all women. I have never seen a woman who looked better with short hair. Be happy about that trend rather than complain about it. Individuality depends on character and the face, not hair style.
Especially what you say about women over 40 is interesting. I hate it when women turn into that infamous aunt or grandma type, cutting off their hair or wearing it all around their heads by means of a perm, looking like balls. It's like saying I am 40+, I don't need to look attractive anymore, my life is over, can anyone tell me the way to the next old people's home
What I do dislike with women over 40 is when they try to compensate age with make-up, that often turns out disgusting.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:04 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,720 times
Because it's beautiful.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 PM

834 posts, read 2,279,181 times
The dirty little secret nobody wants to talk about with long hair on women is the fact that like men, women often suffer from hair loss.

What sucks even harder for women is that, unlike men, doing hair transplants doesn't always work. I know of two women over 40 who wanted to get transplants and they were told that unless they have what is similar to male pattern baldness, they could not be helped. Apparently their hair loss was all over their head. For this type, there is NO solution other than a wig.

Hair loss has devastating effects on women's self esteem. Society tends to coddle men losing their hair and actually encourage men to just shave it and go bald. "Don't get the rug, don't do the comb over, just rock that sexy Bruce Willis bald head! Woo hoo!"

Are there any men cheerleaders for women to cut their hair short? Other than Workaholic, not many. So for men (Antlered, I'm looking at you) who wonder why women don't have miles of long, thick hair for men to pet like a pony, please understand that many women simply CAN'T grow their hair. It just doesn't grow. Antlered, I know you're Indian and perhaps Indian women don't suffer hair loss. I don't know. I do know those of Western European descent definitely do.

Quote:
Especially what you say about women over 40 is interesting. I hate it when women turn into that infamous aunt or grandma type, cutting off their hair or wearing it all around their heads by means of a perm, looking like balls. It's like saying I am 40+, I don't need to look attractive anymore, my life is over
Agreed. Sexy and flattering hair styles come in ALL lengths. No need to go frump unless you just don't care anymore.

I used to have hair down my back. Now at 40, it's just past my shoulders. I'm sure by the time I'm 50, I'll have to sport the Anna Wintour bob or some version of a Marilyn Monroe sexy shorter do. So dudes, just keep this in mind before you ever ask a woman why she doesn't just grow her hair long. It would be like a woman asking you to grow a ZZ top beard. Most likely, you can't.

Last edited by Yankeerose00; 10-29-2011 at 07:56 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 12:41 AM

184 posts, read 703,167 times
if i was losing my hair, i would absolutely buzz it and buy a variety of awesome wigs.

of course, i'll probably do that at some point, with or without hair loss.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:49 AM

2,036 posts, read 3,354,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
This is refreshing...but what I want to know is the OP a man or a woman? If I weren't actively dating and looking to date men, I would love to cut off all my hair to a punk rock pixie style. So much easier to deal with on a daily basis.
That's what my niece has, and she dates men lol...

She has rocked the short, punk style for years - i dont think she had it in high school, but she did in college. She's 37 now. Sometimes she has a thick blonde streak in it (it's brunette), sometimes not.

She wears pretty, big, cool earrings and does her eyemake awesome (for a while she worked for MAC on the weekends - so she knows what she's doing) and she always looks pretty and feminine.

When i was in high school a million years ago, everyone had long, straight hair. (The difference was - it was THEIR hair - not extensions!) I was always upset becuz i have super-thick, naturally curly hair. I could never do long and straight...

I finally grew to love it as i got older... it's so easy, and i let it do what it wants.

The styles will change again in time, and the shag will return for a while

Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
I don't think a hairstyle is always a function of age or face shape OR body type . . you also have to factor in hair type.

My hair is very straight and fine and always has been. No amount of 'root booster' etc is going to make it thick and wavy.

If I wear it in a mid-length bob ~ it has a lot of body and swing, which I love. IF I try to grow it out long - then it is just stringy. Or at least it will be by the end of the day or if there is the slightest bit humidity.

In my high school days, I did wear it long but again, it would often go flat, in a matter of hours . . . which is not the most attractive look. When my hair was long, I wore it up 90% of the time because it was just easier.

So I have to stick with what works for me and my hair - which is a mid-length bob - beautiful to others or not. If it gets windblown - still looks good; humid and raining ~ still looks good . . which is like a miracle to me!

Old 10-30-2011, 01:24 PM

834 posts, read 2,279,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ataraxia View Post
if i was losing my hair, i would absolutely buzz it and buy a variety of awesome wigs.

of course, i'll probably do that at some point, with or without hair loss.
Well I would too if I was literally losing all of my hair.

But I'm talking about the fact that for many women, their hair just doesn't grow past their shoulders over the age of 30 and many will actually start losing their hair when they hit 40. Hair loss in women is not always as noticeable as it is in men but it's there. So asking a woman why she doesn't grow her hair long is offensive because it's entirely possible that she simply can't.

People forget or don't realize that hair is genetic like anything else. Some people have thick locks that grow long and look fabulous. Other people can't grow their hair that way once they hit a certain age, if ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care