Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:40 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times

Advertisements

towncentergal wrote:
Any suggestions of a good place to move?
I'm happy with my new location....Grand Junction, CO. However, it's good for prospective residents to know that this is a place for active, outdoor types who can appreciate natures beauty and a good glass of local wine! If you like to eat locally grown organic produce, you'll find lots of that here too. No humidity either, and it's just about always sunny. Right now we're having daily highs between 95 and 100 and it's absolutely delightful weather because it's breezy, the sky is bright blue, and the air is very dry. Even during these hot days it cools down very nicely overnight with temps in the 60's. We don't get those 80 degree overnight lows. There's always some cool time...even on the hottest days. Heck I don't even have an air conditioner in my home, so you can imagine that electric bills are MUCh lower in the summer. In the winter time, half of my heat is supplied by opening the doors of the solarium which heats up very nicely whenever the sun is shining...even on the coldest days. Again, big savings on the fuel bills. If the only place you've ever lived is on the east coast, you have no idea what really good weather is like. Summer in Virginia Beach is the pits, IMO.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 07-09-2009 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,127,017 times
Cosmic, I am currently in COS and reading your posts about going to VA is giving me the blues. I hope I am okay and enjoy our adventure to Williamsburg, VA. However, I must admit, I LOVE Colorado Springs- GREAT weather!!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:00 PM

You'll do OK frogg....you get to come back to Colorado! Hampton Roads is a nice place to visit, but I'm glad to be outta there.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:07 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,201,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
towncentergal wrote:
I'm happy with my new location....Grand Junction, CO. Right now we're having daily highs between 95 and 100 and it's absolutely delightful weather because it's breezy, the sky is bright blue, and the air is very dry.

Until the snow starts up around the end of August huh?

Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 PM

Actually, the snow here in the Grand Junction area starts about mid December. In a typical year there is usually a total of about 10-12 inches ( at least it's been that way in the past three winters ). There is a monthlong period that feels like real winter from mid Dec thru mid Jan when it snows frequently, but with little actual accumulation. During that month long period there are some below zero temps. But, and this is an BIG but...it's just about always sunny and the air is very dry. It's far colder temperature wise than hampton roads, but it's more comfortable, without the grayness and the bone chilling dampness. Twenty degrees, under the bluest sky I've ever seen, and a brightly shining sun is far more comfortable to me than a gray, 55 degree day in Virginia Beach. To each his own, eh?

Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,201,463 times
Quote:
Actually, the snow here in the Grand Junction area starts about mid December. In a typical year there is usually a total of about 10-12 inches ( at least it's been that way in the past three winters ). There is a monthlong period that feels like real winter from mid Dec thru mid Jan when it snows frequently, but with little actual accumulation. During that month long period there are some below zero temps. But, and this is an BIG but...it's just about always sunny and the air is very dry. It's far colder temperature wise than hampton roads, but it's more comfortable, without the grayness and the bone chilling dampness. Twenty degrees, under the bluest sky I've ever seen, and a brightly shining sun is far more comfortable to me than a gray, 55 degree day in Virginia Beach. To each his own, eh?
How similiar is the weather there to Denver? The company I work for has an office in Denver, and it was still snowing long in to April, and I think the snow started in early October.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:15 PM

The wide swath of the Rocky Mountains lies between Grand Junction and Denver, so the weather is often very different in the two locations. Denver gets alot more snow in the winter and it occassionally snows in September, and even in May. But it melts as soon as the sun hits it. Grand Junction ( just 25 miles from UTAH ) is located in the Red Rock, desert canyon country....more similar to Utah than most of Colorado. Denver on the other hand is situated in the Praries at edge of the Rocky Mountain foothills, but it too has a dry, sunny climate.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 07-09-2009 at 02:28 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 03:06 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,837 times
sorry, for me I would rather be near the ocean than the mountains.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:16 PM

88 posts, read 310,441 times
Quote:
towncentergal wrote:
I'm happy with my new location....Grand Junction, CO. However, it's good for prospective residents to know that this is a place for active, outdoor types who can appreciate natures beauty and a good glass of local wine! If you like to eat locally grown organic produce, you'll find lots of that here too. No humidity either, and it's just about always sunny. Right now we're having daily highs between 95 and 100 and it's absolutely delightful weather because it's breezy, the sky is bright blue, and the air is very dry. Even during these hot days it cools down very nicely overnight with temps in the 60's. We don't get those 80 degree overnight lows. There's always some cool time...even on the hottest days. Heck I don't even have an air conditioner in my home, so you can imagine that electric bills are MUCh lower in the summer. In the winter time, half of my heat is supplied by opening the doors of the solarium which heats up very nicely whenever the sun is shining...even on the coldest days. Again, big savings on the fuel bills. If the only place you've ever lived is on the east coast, you have no idea what really good weather is like. Summer in Virginia Beach is the pits, IMO.
I'm originally from Pittsburgh, PA, so I wouldn't want to go back to where it snows. However, it is sad that the past 2 years it hasn't really snowed here at all in Virginia Beach (I count "snowing" as actual inch or more and sticking - I don't mind it once or twice a year. The only time i miss snow is during Christmas week I also lived in Austin, TX (too hot there and some of the people that lived there creeped me out, and the cockroaches were HUGE!). Then I lived in Richmond which was ok, but slightly boring, and then i've been here for 14 years. Not sure how i've been here this long, I guess i'm just "used to it". Actually if it weren't for the unemployment rate being so high (husband not willing to risk leaving his job here) and owning a condo that nobody is going to buy, i'd probably be somewhere else, just not sure where.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:29 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,021,199 times
Quote:
towncentergal wrote:

GJ is a great place...I have visited there several times over the years......Too bad it is so far away from the ocean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area