Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:23 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,949 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure you can contest the property appraisal they use for taxing you. Perhaps find a nearby comp or three.

A bunch of locals go to (and participate in) a hacker conference in DC and it's walking distance to Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle and what not. DC is neat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 04:51 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemonster View Post
A bunch of locals go to (and participate in) a hacker conference in DC and it's walking distance to Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle and what not. DC is neat.
Yea man I love it, I almost feel underpriveledged living down here. But it will have to do until I can progress.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:34 PM

88 posts, read 310,379 times
Default Where i'd rather live....

I think it's hard to say where i'd want to move, because with the economy now, that would change my decision. In the past I would have said California, but the economy and unemployment rate there is horrible now, so unless I won the lottery, I guess I would not be moving there! I guess my second choice might be Fairfax, VA, that seemed like it would be an awesome place to live, but again, is a costly place to live as it's close to DC.

One of my big complaints about this area is that it is so transient. If you meet people that are cool, they don't end up living here long and move. Everytime I meet some cool people, they end up moving away. Makes me not want to bother anymore. That and jet noise....and the fact that we need more good restaurants and real farmer's markets here.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:15 PM

35 posts, read 102,700 times
Assuming that reality needn't play a part in this hypothetical, I'd go live on some vineyard in Tuscany, stomping grapes, sipping wine, flirting with Italian men..... ah, to dream.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:28 PM

520 posts, read 1,626,949 times
Somewhere that I could walk out the front door and go scuba diving in clear blue water near a huuuuge reef.

When I was younger I was pretty determined to stay here. But now that I'm older and see what I'm missing, I don't think so.

Given that the area is likely to turn into a run down ghetto though, in the future it should be possible to buy a place for dirt cheap (Well after the bubble) as a 2nd home to come back and hang with friends. Of course, at any given time they might move too.

As our jobs haven't declined as much as other regions (since many of our jobs are either related to gov't welfare, or are low paying service jobs), I'm afraid more people are going to move here.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 AM

82 posts, read 313,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by towncentergal View Post
One of my big complaints about this area is that it is so transient. If you meet people that are cool, they don't end up living here long and move. Everytime I meet some cool people, they end up moving away. Makes me not want to bother anymore. That and jet noise....and the fact that we need more good restaurants and real farmer's markets here.
This is one of my main issues with the area. I moved here at age 18 (9 years ago) and don't talk to ANYONE I knew when I moved here. They are all gone. And quite frankly this area doesn't seem to have a lot of cool, free-thinking people in the first place (sorry).

I would love to live in DC, but it's the same problem up there, too. People are there for awhile and then move away. Or they move into the suburbs and you never see them anyway.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:17 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Hey if you are looking for a place where people are rooted, move to Berks county Pennsylvania. 40 years after graduation, most of the people I knew in high school still live within 5 miles of where they lived 40 years ago. Some of them have never been west of the Mississippi. The rooted lifestyle is just too stifling for me. I thrive on changing location from time to time....3 years ago I moved from Virginia Beach to western Colorado.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:32 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemonster View Post

Given that the area is likely to turn into a run down ghetto though, in the future it should be possible to buy a place for dirt cheap (Well after the bubble) as a 2nd home to come back and hang with friends. Of course, at any given time they might move too.

Honestly, your statement here is based on your opinion only with no concrete demographic or income analysis. and you claim that you are unbiased??

Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
ALL 49 posts ( including this one ) in this thread are someones opinion. Anyone who thinks otherwise is sadly mistaken. IMO, in the grand scheme of things an opinion only with no concrete demographic or income analysis is not all that significant, so I choose to let it roll of my back. So what!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 06-02-2009 at 12:57 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 12:53 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Honestly, your statement here is based on your opinion only with no concrete demographic or income analysis. and you claim that you are unbiased??
What is the concrete "demographic" or "income" requirement to be considered a "ghetto"?

I thinks its odd you brought demographics and income in to an argument that wasnt openly based off of either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area